Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Jake Arrieta

FA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 10,490 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

I just noticed that Arrieta is still a Free Agent this far in the off-season.  Are we pursuing him?  If not, why not?

We need pitching, he's an Ace, we should pursue him.  Am I wrong?

Seattle Mariners, playing lousy baseball for 16 years in a row (and counting)...

DannyCore

DannyCore
  • Members
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Seattle Sports Scene, Fishing, xbox 360, outdoors stuff, nachos.
We shouldn't pursue him, he's on the wrong side of 30 and will cost more than darvish. I would rather go after Lance Lynn who is also a free agent and will be considerably cheaper.
"If you can see me, then the end is near." The Great Dannycore states a fact. Do not compete with him, because he has already won.

Official Bring Back Arod petition:
1.Dannycore
2.KingCorran

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 10,490 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

Who is this Lance Lynn?  Never heard of him...

Seattle Mariners, playing lousy baseball for 16 years in a row (and counting)...

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 10,490 posts

I just researched about this Lynn guy.  Not a bad pitcher.

But Lynn is 30 years old, just 1 year younger than Arrieta, granted, Arrieta is coming from his worst year of the last 4, so that's not a good sign....

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,229 posts

Arrieta's velocity has declined for two years in a row (94.6 in 2015 down to 92.1 in 2017).  This is combined with a drop in pitch movement (evidenced by a drop in batters chasing and increase in batter contact rates).  There is a strong correlation with those changes to significant drops in production and/ or injury.

In the era where GMs and teams are keen on paying a player what their projectable value is, many see Arrieta as a risk.  He's showing all the evidence of decline and the biggest risk factors for soon-to-come collapse (due to health, performance or both).  His now-former team, the Cubs, were in the market for both Darvish and Lynn, but have opted to avoid Arrieta all winter.

Dipoto has spoken publicly about avoiding unnecessary risk with heavy longterm contracts.  From a descriptive perspective, it makes sense for him to avoid Arrieta.

AAPs:

Kyle Lewis

The M's 2016 first round pick and the 11th Overall is the system's top prospect and has several accolades to his name.  Even though he is currently out of commission recovering from injury, he still has a whole bunch of potential.

Mike Ford

This Rule 5-acquired first baseman just might be the M's best player at the position.  I'm betting on it!  He's never walked less than he's K'd and he just flashed some serious power in his first taste of AAA.  He just needed a position and there happens to be one available in the Emerald City.

Gone, but not forgotten AAPs:
Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Joe Wieland

'Boog' Powell

So long, fellas.  I hope that all of you do well in your future endeavors.  Perhaps you can tap into the potential seen in the M's system and have success elsewhere in the baseball world.  Just... not against the M's, OK?

DannyCore

DannyCore
  • Members
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Seattle Sports Scene, Fishing, xbox 360, outdoors stuff, nachos.

https://www.vivaelbi...cago-cubs-debut

Here is an article about Lance Lynn before last years opening day about fears involving reduced velocity. You could basically copy and paste Arrietas name in the article. Super interesting read where they point out that Hernandez' velocity dip didn't kill him right away as he transitioned successfully after the velocity drop. 

Jeez I wish Felix would just go get stem cell injections like Bartolo Colon did already. Yeah you have to do steroid treatment afterwords, just say you're going to do it ahead of time and take the 50 game suspension on the chin then make a bazillion dollars on the next contract.

Note, Lynn had a good year after his velocity dip, and Lynn may recover it as he was a year removed from baseball due to tommy john. Those guys bounce back all the way sometimes. That's why I would rather have Lynn than Arrieta. Arrieta is a huge unkown and will cost more.

Edited by DannyCore, 13 February 2018 - 02:16 PM.

"If you can see me, then the end is near." The Great Dannycore states a fact. Do not compete with him, because he has already won.

Official Bring Back Arod petition:
1.Dannycore
2.KingCorran

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users