Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Face Of The Mariners

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,171 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!

POPULAR

This is probably the most hotly debated issue with the Seattle Mariners.  Over at ESPN.com there is an article which names the faces for each team.  With Seattle, they name Ken Griffey Jr. based on WAR (67.6).  Using that statistical category, Edgar Martinez trails Griffey by one stinkin' Win (66.6).

Griffey whined his way out of Seattle.  Edgar played his entire career with Seattle.  Griffey is in the Hall of Fame and elected to go wearing a Mariner uniform.  Edgar, who has the stinkin' Designated Hitter award named after him, should have been in the Hall a few years ago, and got jobbed again this year by 20 stinkin' votes.  

Who should the face of the Mariners be?

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 10,490 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

Edgar, no doubt...

Seattle Mariners, playing lousy baseball for 16 years in a row (and counting)...

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,457 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
Edgar. Papi before Papi
Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

Tom Wilhelmsen ~ Minor League deal w/ Padres & Invite to ML ST

Zunino ~ w/ the big club

DJ Peterson ~ w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system

Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts -  68 games at Modesto in 2017: 257 ab, 41 r, 66 h, 11 2b, 5 3b, 8 hr.

Wyatt Mills ~ Everett & Clinton in 2017. 58/4 K/BB (2 IBB) Senior year w/ Zagshttps://cdn.vox-cdn....Gonzaga_1.0.jpg  <p>http://m.milb.com/player/670090

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 776 posts

Clearly the most passionate man about this team ever was David Arnold "Dave" Niehaus. Certainly the uncontested voice of the Mariners but quite possibly the face as well.

Given that we are looking for a player one could toss the stats out the window and put up the argument that the "faces" of the Mariners are "Gar", "Bone" "Junior".

From an individual player standpoint you'd be hard pressed to put up any kind of argument for anyone other than Edgar "Gar" "Papi" Martinez. He is the man!

BattingPractice

BattingPractice
  • Grand Slam Boosters
  • 742 posts

A few years ago I would have said Junior. But with his commitment to the M's in his post-player days, Edgar has earned it. I am hoping for a major celebration next year when he is finally elected to the HOF.

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,229 posts
If it's going to be ESPN to choose, it'll most definitely be Junior. By the fans' choice, it's a tough call for me between Edgar and Junior.

For Junior, there are a lot of really good points.
1. First Mariners player into the Hall
2. Best player in MLB history while in a Mariners uniform
3. The reason he was voted in with the highest percentage in history: He just had that persona which drew EVERYONE'S attention.

Edgar for his part, has demonstrated the following:
1. He has been connected to Mariner baseball and Mariners fans for nearly 30 years now.
1b/2. Kids who would have been born after his retirement can still see him in a Mariners uniform and connected to their generation, even though he's the teacher/ coach of their favorite players and not one of them himself.
3. He was just as great a player to Mariner-dom as Junior, but because he isn't the obvious ESPN pick, he deserves the extra recognition

AAPs:

Kyle Lewis

The M's 2016 first round pick and the 11th Overall is the system's top prospect and has several accolades to his name.  Even though he is currently out of commission recovering from injury, he still has a whole bunch of potential.

Mike Ford

This Rule 5-acquired first baseman just might be the M's best player at the position.  I'm betting on it!  He's never walked less than he's K'd and he just flashed some serious power in his first taste of AAA.  He just needed a position and there happens to be one available in the Emerald City.

Gone, but not forgotten AAPs:
Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Joe Wieland

'Boog' Powell

So long, fellas.  I hope that all of you do well in your future endeavors.  Perhaps you can tap into the potential seen in the M's system and have success elsewhere in the baseball world.  Just... not against the M's, OK?

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 13,054 posts

There's no doubt Junior was the better player. I remember when he was the face of MLB, not just the Mariners. Edgar played his whole career with the Mariners, and has a street named after him in Seattle. Junior doesn't. It has to be Edgar.

Now if you want my opinion on the face of MLB for the decade while Junior was in his prime, you know who I would pick. He was more the face of MLB then than anyone is now.

Edited by Vidya, 14 February 2018 - 07:21 PM.

Adopt-A-Players:

TBD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users