Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Spring Training 2018

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 776 posts

The time is near. With one football game left in the season we can close the book on that sport for the year and look forward to baseball being just around the corner.

Pitchers and catchers for Seattle report on Wednesday February 14th, Valentines day. One would expect that more than one baseball executive will get an ear full from the players wives about scheduling with a blind eye! Team and MLB executives might want to consider sending roses to save some face on their part!

Pitchers and catchers first workout together is scheduled for Thursday February 15th.

Position players report on Monday February 19th with the first full squad workouts scheduled for Tuesday February 20th.

The first live game is of course the annual charity game with the San Diego Padres on Friday February 23rd at 1:10 pm PST. That game can be heard on ESPN 710 Kiro or east of the Cascades on ESPN 900 KKRT.

The first televised game is on Saturday February 24th against the Chicago White Sox. That game can be viewed on Root Sports at 12:10pm PST. The game can also be heard on ESPN Sports Radio.

The TV schedule has been expanded this year to 30 games of which 21 will be live, 9 on the delayed broadcast.

There will be some new faces in camp this year along with the grizzled veterans. There will be some good competition for position players and pitchers as well

With the new season upon us comes a sure sign of spring. It won't belong before the smell of the grass and garlic fries permeates the air and we will know for sure that it is once again Baseball Season.    

Let's get this going!

BISON

BISON
  • Members
  • 392 posts

POPULAR

I'll be honest, I kinda like the way things are shaping up this year.  Last year we were all abuzz with hope.  I was a fun and interesting season, but didn't deliver the way we'd hoped.  This year, expectations are tempered.  Makes for a nice season of simply appreciating baseball.  Who knows, maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,457 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
Love more TV and Live games. KIRO 710, in the past, delayed radio broadcasts so they can talk about the NFL Draft and combine. Boring!
Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

Tom Wilhelmsen ~ Minor League deal w/ Padres & Invite to ML ST

Zunino ~ w/ the big club

DJ Peterson ~ w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system

Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts -  68 games at Modesto in 2017: 257 ab, 41 r, 66 h, 11 2b, 5 3b, 8 hr.

Wyatt Mills ~ Everett & Clinton in 2017. 58/4 K/BB (2 IBB) Senior year w/ Zagshttps://cdn.vox-cdn....Gonzaga_1.0.jpg  <p>http://m.milb.com/player/670090

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,171 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!

I'll be honest, I kinda like the way things are shaping up this year.  Last year we were all abuzz with hope.  I was a fun and interesting season, but didn't deliver the way we'd hoped.  This year, expectations are tempered.  Makes for a nice season of simply appreciating baseball.  Who knows, maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.

I like your attitude.  Keep rockin' it Bison!

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Slothcliff Hokum

Slothcliff Hokum

The Cat's Meow

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Things, and stuff like that.

Color me cautiously optimistic.  I think beating the injury bug will be the key.

I like the idea of Dee Gordon in CF, with him and Segura at the top of the lineup.  Looks like we might have runners on second or third pretty often for our 3-4-5 hitters to drive in.  Gordon is athletic enough that I believe he will be fine in his new position.  Gordon, Segura, Cano, Cruz, Seager, Haniger, Zunino, Healy, Gamel...  looks like we could score quite a few runs this year!

I like the bullpen, with Phelps, Nicasio, Vincent setting things up for Diaz.  If our starting pitchers stay off the DL, slots 1-4 in the rotation are pretty decent...  let's see how the #5 starter does, whoever wins that job. 

BRING ON THE SPRING!!

Edited by Slothcliff Hokum, 06 February 2018 - 05:03 PM.

My Adopt-a-Players:
Dominic Leone
Kyle Hunter

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."  - Yogi Berra 

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,457 posts
Interesting that the players considered not showing up for Spring Training due to the volume of unsigned free agents. Pitchers & Catchers in one week.

https://twitter.com/...044302167240705

Buster

Edited by Señor Octobre, 07 February 2018 - 06:06 AM.

Zunino ~ w/ the big club

Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts -  68 games at Modesto in 2017: 257 ab, 41 r, 66 h, 11 2b, 5 3b, 8 hr.

Wyatt Mills ~ Everett & Clinton in 2017. 58/4 K/BB (2 IBB) Senior year w/ Zagshttps://cdn.vox-cdn....Gonzaga_1.0.jpg  <p>http://m.milb.com/player/670090

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Slothcliff Hokum

Slothcliff Hokum

The Cat's Meow

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • Interests:Things, and stuff like that.

I know what you mean about the lack of free agent activity.  I'm now only checking MLBTraderumors.com about twice a day instead of the usual dozen or so times...  laugh.png

It's looking more and more like the M's won't make any major signings for the starting rotation.  But hey, Tim Lincecum is trying to make a comeback...  and R.A. Dickey hasn't actually retired yet... !  wink.png

Edited by Slothcliff Hokum, 07 February 2018 - 08:31 AM.

My Adopt-a-Players:
Dominic Leone
Kyle Hunter

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."  - Yogi Berra 

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,457 posts
Love Lincecum. 😂

Zunino ~ w/ the big club

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,171 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!

I think Buster has a really good point in his discussion about the current whining about the free agent situation.  The MLBPA worked with the owners creating the current CBA, of which many decried as a disaster in the making.  The free agent situation that we are in right now was predicted within hours of the CBA signing.  This is not ownership collusion, it is simply how the dynamics of the situation was created by the CBA.

You signed it, now deal with it until you get a chance to rectify it.

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

BattingPractice

BattingPractice
  • Grand Slam Boosters
  • 742 posts

Hard to believe that pitchers and catchers report in one week. It has been a long grey winter without much action from the Mariners. They even cancelled fanfest to watch the grass grow. Perhaps its just as well, less hype and lower expectations.

That being said, I already have plans, reservations and tickets for spring training. I wonder where my glove is?

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,457 posts
Yankees aquire rights to dang Rus Wilson from Rangers.

Zunino ~ w/ the big club

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 776 posts

Batting Practice has his Spring Training vacation planned. That is awesome.

How many of you are planning on spending some time at Spring Training this year?

Sadly I will not be able to attend Spring Training this year however, as usual my son and I will attend our normal 10 to 15 games during the regular season.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,457 posts
https://www.ocregist...impression=true

Zunino ~ w/ the big club

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,229 posts

POPULAR

I think Buster has a really good point in his discussion about the current whining about the free agent situation.  The MLBPA worked with the owners creating the current CBA, of which many decried as a disaster in the making.  The free agent situation that we are in right now was predicted within hours of the CBA signing.  This is not ownership collusion, it is simply how the dynamics of the situation was created by the CBA.

You signed it, now deal with it until you get a chance to rectify it.

I don't know if this is the result exclusively of the latest CBA. Most discussions have brought up a lot of factors with MLB that are all highly contributing.

All of these things contribute and many have been a part of baseball for quite some time:
- A disproportionate amount of contract value being guaranteed (compared to NFL and NBA) has been true for decades
- The lack of a hard salary cap or floor (the tax threshold has pressured even teams like the Dodgers and Yankees to be all-but silent this off season and it's been in place for about 10 years now, iirc)
- Revenue sharing guarantees large income amounts and thus doesn't encourage or force owners to invest in payroll or in stirring fan interest (in place since 1995)
- MiL players and Arbitration players have no voice in the matter and have been totally #4(12$7 by the MLBPA and the owners since 1995
- Conversely, baseball management has been shifting away from its Ol' Boys Club ways and including people with business and statistical acumen (albeit slowly and only including other Ol' Boys Clubs).

The latest CBA certainly didn't help and only exacerbated the problem by attaching a draft pick to lesser stars (a la Cruz) and sub-star (a la Kendrys Morales) players. It itself is not the problem, though. And heck -- who knows. To clash with the conspiracy theory of be owner collusion, perhaps was some conspiracy there was some conspiracy in making the last CBA to speed up the downward spiral we've been seeing for some time.

I don't actually believe that too be true by any means, of course. That's just too show that it was an imperfect addition to an even more deeply imperfect system. It's goal was to rectify the type abuse the Rays committed to get several (wasn't it 6 or 7?) First Round picks just before everyone agreed on it.

AAPs:

Kyle Lewis

The M's 2016 first round pick and the 11th Overall is the system's top prospect and has several accolades to his name.  Even though he is currently out of commission recovering from injury, he still has a whole bunch of potential.

Mike Ford

This Rule 5-acquired first baseman just might be the M's best player at the position.  I'm betting on it!  He's never walked less than he's K'd and he just flashed some serious power in his first taste of AAA.  He just needed a position and there happens to be one available in the Emerald City.

Gone, but not forgotten AAPs:
Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Joe Wieland

'Boog' Powell

So long, fellas.  I hope that all of you do well in your future endeavors.  Perhaps you can tap into the potential seen in the M's system and have success elsewhere in the baseball world.  Just... not against the M's, OK?

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 776 posts

The first official day for the 2018 baseball has arrived. Pitchers and catchers are in camp

The first injury of the season has already been reported. Seems C.C. Sabathia rolled his ankle in the first drill of practice and had to leave the field with a heavily taped ankle.

Let's hope there is non of this in the Mariners camp or any other camp for that matter.

BattingPractice

BattingPractice
  • Grand Slam Boosters
  • 742 posts

The Mariners are already reporting a hand injury to Ryon Healy before he has swung a bat or thrown a ball for the M's.

https://www.seattlet...ng-hand-injury/

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 10,490 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

The Mariners are already reporting a hand injury to Ryon Healy before he has swung a bat or thrown a ball for the M's.

https://www.seattlet...ng-hand-injury/

That's just stupid.  Hope he heals quickly.

Seattle Mariners, playing lousy baseball for 16 years in a row (and counting)...

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 13,054 posts

Tempered? More like Mariners who? There's more interest in the city for the new hockey team than baseball right now., and that's behind the Olympics, the Seahawks off season, college basketball, HS sports, and the NBA. OK, the NHL and NBA are really close, but the Mariners are behind both.

To be honest, I kinda like it. It reminds me of the 2001 season when they had season opener tickets for sale until opening day. That season turned out OK, so maybe this team will play a game in the postseason. If we're lucky, they'll play more than one. Getting to the World Series is still way beyond possible though.

Edited by Vidya, 14 February 2018 - 06:28 PM.

Adopt-A-Players:

TBD.

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 776 posts

Well, looks like Ryon Healy is going to miss 4 to 6 weeks after having surgery on his hand. Really Jerry! I read where this became an issue a couple of months ago. Why wasn't this addressed then? We traded for this guy to play first base for us and it now looks as though he will miss all of spring training and part of the regular season after he rehabs. How frustrating for the whole team.

M's Watcher

M's Watcher

I've got my eyes on you...

• Members
  • 3,468 posts

I read the BS that surgery isn't the first option for a hand injury, so they waited to see if it would heal on its own.  They know when the season starts, so why didn't they start the waiting 4-6 weeks earlier?  They are clueless.  This is consistent with why this team doesn't make the playoffs and has never been to a WS.  PF, this isn't frustrating for the whole team.  Vogs and Ford now both must think one of them has a shot at the 25, with Healy getting an extended ST/DL.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users