Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

If - Nelson Cruz

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,162 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!

*IF*

Nelson Cruz is in his contract walk year, and if he has the type of year that he normally has had for the Mariners, AND:

...You consider that he will be 38 in July

...You consider that he does not play defense

...You consider what other options might be available

Do you resign him?

What length of time?

How much?

Do you wait for the off season?

?

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,208 posts
On MLBTR, they're already saying that Cruz "should"be a lock for a multi-year deal in FA if he can repeat once again.

Personally, I don't know and am a bit skeptical. Teams are so age-conscious and adverse to DH-only/ -mostly players that I think it'll be hard for him to get a 3-year deal if he's eligible for a QO. No QO and perhaps some team will give him 3+ vesting option.

Who have been the last old-but-productive DHs to get FA contracts? David Ortiz only sort of counts because I doubt he would have ever left Boston. Was it Frank Thomas? I believe his last contract was 2 years with the Blue Jays (and I don't think he lasted, iirc).

My sincerest hope is that Cruz and Dipoto can both be happy with a 2 year extension/ deal that lets Cruz retire a Mariner and give the organization one less hole to fill when I'm certain starting pitching will STILL be an issue...

If he's still productive as primary DH even then and still wants to play, make it rolling 1-year deals from then on.

AAPs:

Kyle Lewis

The M's 2016 first round pick and the 11th Overall is the system's top prospect and has several accolades to his name.  Even though he is currently out of commission recovering from injury, he still has a whole bunch of potential.

Mike Ford

This Rule 5-acquired first baseman just might be the M's best player at the position.  I'm betting on it!  He's never walked less than he's K'd and he just flashed some serious power in his first taste of AAA.  He just needed a position and there happens to be one available in the Emerald City.

Gone, but not forgotten AAPs:
Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Joe Wieland

'Boog' Powell

So long, fellas.  I hope that all of you do well in your future endeavors.  Perhaps you can tap into the potential seen in the M's system and have success elsewhere in the baseball world.  Just... not against the M's, OK?

BattingPractice

BattingPractice
  • Grand Slam Boosters
  • 737 posts

Cruz is lucky that he is in an era where he will be judged more by stats and physical attributes like launch velocity than his birthdate.

He should be offered an extension by the M's if his production continues. With Edgar as his hitting coach he should be able to handle the everyday DH position well. Better that we didn't have to muddy the DH water with a pitcher this year.

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 761 posts

I don't see Nelly being a lock for a multi-year deal either. If his production level is continually strong I do see him as a solid candidate for a 2 year deal with a team option for a 3rd year.

If the 3rd year option is activated it could contain language with a 1 year option after that and so on just as Dag mentioned.

It would be nice to see Cruz retire in an M's uniform. I hope he has a monster year.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,162 posts

Nice thoughts, guys.  This is what I was hoping for with this.  

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Slothcliff Hokum

Slothcliff Hokum

The Cat's Meow

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • Interests:Things, and stuff like that.

I was skeptical when the Mariners signed him, but I've been thoroughly satisfied to have Cruz on board.  He loves to hit, and from all indications, he has a great attitude and is a great guy.

If he has another excellent year in 2018, I'd like to see Seattle give him a solid two-year deal.  If he still hits well but starts to show some decline, I'd give him a one-year deal with an option for a second, and see how he does.

He has been invaluable to our offense.  Let's hope there is more gas left in the tank!  

My Adopt-a-Players:
Dominic Leone
Kyle Hunter

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."  - Yogi Berra 

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,426 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
I watched Cruz before he arrived in Seattle, but obviously watched more of his a.b.'s here, so I'm not sure it's the Edgar Effect or Cruz has learned or always was a decent hitter. Making sense Octobre? What I'm saying is he is as close to Edgar you'll ever see. Grinding at bats, two strike approach, going up the middle and the other way, plus runner on third or second and third, with less then two outs and getting one RBI for sure. What a joy he is to watch!

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

Tom Wilhelmsen ~ Zona or Brew Crew ?
Mike Zunino ~ w/ the big club
DJ Peterson ~ w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system 

Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts -  68 games at Modesto in 2017: 257 ab, 41 r, 66 h, 11 2b, 5 3b, 8 hr.
Wyatt Mills ~ Everett & Clinton in 2017. 58/4 K/BB (2 IBB) Senior year w/ Zags
https://cdn.vox-cdn....Gonzaga_1.0.jpg  

http://m.milb.com/player/670090

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,162 posts

I watched Cruz before he arrived in Seattle, but obviously watched more of his a.b.'s here, so I'm not sure it's the Edgar Effect or Cruz has learned or always was a decent hitter. Making sense Octobre? What I'm saying is he is as close to Edgar you'll ever see. Grinding at bats, two strike approach, going up the middle and the other way, plus runner on third or second and third, with less then two outs and getting one RBI for sure. What a joy he is to watch!

He does seem to have a wee touch of Edgar in him.  Perhaps he has given Cruz a pointer or two, I'm not sure, but he definitely looks to be a player who is willing to give himself up for the team.  I love watching him hustle up the line and around the bases.  He is not the fastest man on the team, but he obviously pushes himself hard.  Sometimes too hard.  We don't need any hammy issues!

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,426 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
A true RBI guy and his average and HR's don't seem to suffer. At an age when you often see some decline, Cruz is better.

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

Tom Wilhelmsen ~ Zona or Brew Crew ?
Mike Zunino ~ w/ the big club
DJ Peterson ~ w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system 

Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts -  68 games at Modesto in 2017: 257 ab, 41 r, 66 h, 11 2b, 5 3b, 8 hr.
Wyatt Mills ~ Everett & Clinton in 2017. 58/4 K/BB (2 IBB) Senior year w/ Zags
https://cdn.vox-cdn....Gonzaga_1.0.jpg  

http://m.milb.com/player/670090

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

MarinersMoose

MarinersMoose

Alces Marinus

• Members
  • 590 posts

I wonder if having Edgar as a hitting coach will make him more likely to give the Mariners a discount on an extension... I would say that if he starts the season hitting well, offer him a 2 year extension with some kind of vesting option for a third.

My Adopt-A-Players:

Mayckol Guaipe - RHP, Tacoma Raniers Seattle Mariners claimed by Chicago White Sox Mexican League

Former Adopt-A-Player:

Ketel Marte - Traded to the Diamondbacks, along with another player, for Jean Segura, Mitch Haniger, and Zac Curtis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users