Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

1St Round Draft Picks

Woe be us...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,162 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!

Hiya kiddies!

Ok, I'm feeling the baseball juices starting to flow and am ready to do a little analysis.  At first, I wanted to look at the top-10 draft picks from each year over the last 10 years to get an idea of just why our system is so destitute.  After thinking it through, and a few shots of something of an adult nature (Tulamore Dew!) I decided to just look at the 1st round picks since 2008.  

Lets Rock!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Josh Fields - 1st Round 2008 - R Relief Pitcher

Broke into the MLB in 2013 with Houston after 5 years in the minors.  Pitched ok for Houston in relief roles considering where he had to pitch (4.53 ERA).  Went to Dodgers mid-year and has been very effective (2.83 ERA).  Is now 32 and has had a solid Journeyman career.

=========================================

Nick Franklin - 1st Round 2009 - SS

Made MLB debut in 2013 with Seattle as a 22 year old.  Struggled with the bat for 2 years and was traded to Tampa Bay.  Struggled with the bat for a couple of years with TB as a part-time player.  Selected off of waivers in April of 2017 by Milwaukee.  Traded by Milwaukee to the Angels in June of 2017 for a PTBNL or cash.  Released by the Angels in November of 2017 and is currently unsigned.

Looks to me that he failed to reach replacement level status.  Interestingly, is still just 26 years old.  May sign a minor league contract with someone.

Dustin Ackley - 1st Round 2009 - 2B/OF

Debuted in 2011 With the Mariners.  Played for 4+ seasons for the Mariners and failed to reach his potential. Traded in July of 2015 to the Yankees.  Appeared in 51 games for the Yankers during the 2015 and 2016 seasons (127 PA).  Released by the Yankers in November of 2016.  Signed as a minor league contract with the Angels in February of 2017 and did not make a MLB appearance.  Released by the Angles in November of 2017.

I think we don't have to rehash anything about Ackley.  Let's just say that he failed to reach replacement level status and move on. 

Danny Hultzen - 1st Round 2011 - LHP

Damaged goods.  Never made it to the MLB level because of a bad throwing shoulder.  Pitched very well at times in the minors.  

Mike Zunino - 1st Round 2012 - C

Made his MLB debut mid 2013 after just 419 plate appearances and annointed as the starting catcher.  Defense is off the charts, worked well with every pitcher.  Offensive struggles have been well documented.  After 3+ years of struggling Zunino appears to have turned the corner with a breakout 2017 season.

1st round success story.

D. J. Peterson - 1st Round 2013 - 3b/1B/OF

After 500 games and around 2100 plate appearances Peterson somehow ended up in the Cubs system late in the 2017 season.  His tenure in the minors for the Mariners was marked by injuries and ineffective offensive output.  

Bust...

Alex Jackson - 1st - Round 2014 -  OF

Promising kid out of California.  Struggled offensively and with injuries while in the M's minor league system.  Included in a trade during the 2017 season.

Too soon to call him a bust.  He is just 22 years old and may find his groove.  Unfortunately, when he does he will be playing for another team...

Kyle Lewis - 1st Round 2016 - OF

Exciting minor league debut with Everett, but blew out a knee.  Very limited action in 2017 as he tries to rehab back.

Jury is still hearing arguments on Lewis.

Evan White - 1st Round 2017 - 1B

Played in just 14 games in 2017 at Rookie level Everett.  Way too soon to know what we have.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There they are, kiddies.  Out of the 9 first round picks since the 2008 draft, we can comfortably say that we have 1 and only one player who has impacted the Mariners in a positive way.  Of the two latest picks I am not exactly getting a warm feeling for either.  Whether Lewis can make a comeback from that knee injury is still a huge question.  White, IMHO, needs to show that he can at least stay on the field.  Still, though, he did come out of college with rave reviews.  He's a player who plays first not because he can't play elsewhere, but because he is uber-above average as a 1st sacker.  I have high hopes for him, but I'm a bit jaded after years of hope being dashed.

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,208 posts

Whatever you do, Lon, don't go further back.  I fear for your health if you do.  Nobody needs that kind of stress and despair...

AAPs:

Kyle Lewis

The M's 2016 first round pick and the 11th Overall is the system's top prospect and has several accolades to his name.  Even though he is currently out of commission recovering from injury, he still has a whole bunch of potential.

Mike Ford

This Rule 5-acquired first baseman just might be the M's best player at the position.  I'm betting on it!  He's never walked less than he's K'd and he just flashed some serious power in his first taste of AAA.  He just needed a position and there happens to be one available in the Emerald City.

Gone, but not forgotten AAPs:
Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Joe Wieland

'Boog' Powell

So long, fellas.  I hope that all of you do well in your future endeavors.  Perhaps you can tap into the potential seen in the M's system and have success elsewhere in the baseball world.  Just... not against the M's, OK?

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,162 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!

POPULAR

Whatever you do, Lon, don't go further back.  I fear for your health if you do.  Nobody needs that kind of stress and despair...

I've got a buffer to help me...

dew.jpg

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 761 posts

cpoint.gif Outstanding buffer me Laddie!

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,426 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en

The Doctor is in !

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

Tom Wilhelmsen ~ Zona or Brew Crew ?
Mike Zunino ~ w/ the big club
DJ Peterson ~ w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system 

Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts -  68 games at Modesto in 2017: 257 ab, 41 r, 66 h, 11 2b, 5 3b, 8 hr.
Wyatt Mills ~ Everett & Clinton in 2017. 58/4 K/BB (2 IBB) Senior year w/ Zags
https://cdn.vox-cdn....Gonzaga_1.0.jpg  

http://m.milb.com/player/670090

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users