Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ohtani Sweepstakes.....who Wins?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Ohtani Sweepstakes....Who Wins? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Team Will Win The Ohtani Sweepstakes?

1. The Evil Empire....... (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. L A Dodgers..... (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Seattle Mariners..... (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

4. Boston Red Sox..... (0 votes [0.00%])

5. S F Giants..... (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

6. A Highly Unexpected Team That Blows Us All Away..... (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,406 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
http://www.latimes.c...impression=true

LA Times

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

DJ Peterson ~ w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system

Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts -
Wyatt Mills ~ Appeared in seven games freshman at Gonzaga, 12 innings, 3.65 era. As a sophomore, 19.1 innings, with a 2.79 era, K'ed 38 batters in 37 innings as a jr. in 22 appearances, pitched four scoreless at UW March 28th., As a Senior, went 2-2 with a 1.79 ERA in 40.1 innings of work: 58/4 K/BB,pitched final 3.2 innings May 20 versus BYU, fanning five to help GU clinch share of regular season conference title. At Everett, had a 0.67 whip vs RH and a 0.23 whip vs RH at Clinton.. 20 innings combined at Everett and Clinton to go with the 40 as a a Senior at Gonzaga..

https://cdn.vox-cdn....Gonzaga_1.0.jpg

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP

Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,406 posts

I agree and it wouldn't surprise me if he fails to live up to expectations given they're at absurd levels right now.

But I think this feels like a gut punch more because of the way it happened and the wider context. If he'd signed for the Yankees and we never looked like having a chance (which is what many originally expected) I'm not sure too many people would be that disappointed. It was the fact we were being touted around as favorites that makes it harder to take. 

It's also about where the team is at. I fully expect 2018 to be worse than 2017 was. Long-term there are some pretty major challenges to overcome and the 16 years of failure we've experienced could easily reach 20 years of failure or more if you're being pessimistic. Ohtani was the golden lottery ticket and even if he didn't deliver enough to turn our fortunes around, at a bare minimum he was a reason to get excited in his own right. Maybe it isn't as bad as all that, but this does feel like someone dangling a ladder of salvation down to get us out of a bad place only to pull it away at the last second.

he does speak some English and not shy about using it. Comparisons to Ruth are founded both as a two way player and media attention. Droves of Japanese media followed Ichiro. Likewise for Ohtani, they will come; they most certainly will come.

Wyatt Mills ~ Appeared in seven games freshman at Gonzaga, 12 innings, 3.65 era. As a sophomore, 19.1 innings, with a 2.79 era, K'ed 38 batters in 37 innings as a jr. in 22 appearances, pitched four scoreless at UW March 28th., As a Senior, went 2-2 with a 1.79 ERA in 40.1 innings of work: 58/4 K/BB,pitched final 3.2 innings May 20 versus BYU, fanning five to help GU clinch share of regular season conference title. At Everett, had a 0.67 whip vs RH and a 0.23 whip vs RH at Clinton.. 20 innings combined at Everett and Clinton to go with the 40 as a a Senior at Gonzaga..

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP

Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,406 posts

I agree and it wouldn't surprise me if he fails to live up to expectations given they're at absurd levels right now.

But I think this feels like a gut punch more because of the way it happened and the wider context. If he'd signed for the Yankees and we never looked like having a chance (which is what many originally expected) I'm not sure too many people would be that disappointed. It was the fact we were being touted around as favorites that makes it harder to take. 

It's also about where the team is at. I fully expect 2018 to be worse than 2017 was. Long-term there are some pretty major challenges to overcome and the 16 years of failure we've experienced could easily reach 20 years of failure or more if you're being pessimistic. Ohtani was the golden lottery ticket and even if he didn't deliver enough to turn our fortunes around, at a bare minimum he was a reason to get excited in his own right. Maybe it isn't as bad as all that, but this does feel like someone dangling a ladder of salvation down to get us out of a bad place only to pull it away at the last second.

he does speak some English and not shy about using it. Comparisons to Ruth are founded both as a two way player and media attention. Droves of Japanese media followed Ichiro. Likewise for Ohtani, they will come; they most certainly will come.

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP

Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,406 posts

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP

Greg Halman ~ RIP  

mesully

mesully
  • Members
  • 465 posts

We all know the possible upside, now LAA assumes all the risk also. Injury and hyped performance are two of the main risks but there is also racism and clubhouse entitlement risks.

I won't root for his failure but there are some of the things I was concerned about if he came here.

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,202 posts

Eno Sarris at Fangraphs just put up a very interesting article about how similar league average plate discipline profiles in NPB and MLB are strikingly similar and used it as a base to analyze the performance risks of Ohtani.

Essentially speaking, NPB hitter rates are just about the same as those in MLB and Ohtani's individual contact and pitch selection rates in Japan are most comparable to Chris Davis of last year.  With Davis seriously on the decline, that doesn't bode well for an immediate impact at the plate.

For him to be the kind of monster so many wish/ hope/ dream him to be, he'll have to have power comparable to prime Davis, or get some of his rates comparable to Nelson Cruz -- swinging more often at strikes while also NOT swinging at more balls and making more contact when he swings at balls in the zone.  I can't help but think the chances of that happening right away are slim.  With a few years of development, there is potential.  With as much pitching potential as he's got, would he get that after a 90 OPS+ season at the plate?  Especially in the AL?

AAPs:

Kyle Lewis

The M's 2016 first round pick and the 11th Overall is the system's top prospect and has several accolades to his name.  Even though he is currently out of commission recovering from injury, he still has a whole bunch of potential.

Mike Ford

This Rule 5-acquired first baseman just might be the M's best player at the position.  I'm betting on it!  He's never walked less than he's K'd and he just flashed some serious power in his first taste of AAA.  He just needed a position and there happens to be one available in the Emerald City.

Gone, but not forgotten AAPs:
Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Joe Wieland

'Boog' Powell

So long, fellas.  I hope that all of you do well in your future endeavors.  Perhaps you can tap into the potential seen in the M's system and have success elsewhere in the baseball world.  Just... not against the M's, OK?

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,406 posts
Angels hinting at a six man rotation to accommodate Ohtani and his wish to remain the same as Japan. Also thoughts of no outfield play. Quick math shows 24 starts. A day off both before and after has him batting 3 or 4 days per week. Hardly enough to keep the timing down. Does he also rest vs tough lefties? I didn't even think as Mesully mentioned, prom Queen status and how this effects the locker room or routine of others. Others used to a five man rotation or hitting everyday. No player will bitch publicly, but I guess if he helps them win, they are good with it.

Edited by Señor Octobre, 12 December 2017 - 03:37 AM.

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP

Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,202 posts

Angels hinting at a six man rotation to accommodate Ohtani and his wish to remain the same as Japan. Also thoughts of no outfield play. Quick math shows 24 starts. A day off both before and after has him batting 3 or 4 days per week. Hardly enough to keep the timing down. Does he also rest vs tough lefties? I didn't even think as Mesully mentioned, prom Queen status and how this effects the locker room or routine of others. Others used to a five man rotation or hitting everyday. No player will bitch publicly, but I guess if he helps them win, they are good with it.

It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Soscia has almost always had a rotating DH, so I don't there will be issues there. It'll be most interesting to see how much Soscia plays along with changing how the rotation works. If he doesn't, it wouldn't exactly be the first time he's trumped the Angels FO.

Edited by Dag Gummit, 12 December 2017 - 06:44 AM.

AAPs:

Kyle Lewis

The M's 2016 first round pick and the 11th Overall is the system's top prospect and has several accolades to his name.  Even though he is currently out of commission recovering from injury, he still has a whole bunch of potential.

Mike Ford

This Rule 5-acquired first baseman just might be the M's best player at the position.  I'm betting on it!  He's never walked less than he's K'd and he just flashed some serious power in his first taste of AAA.  He just needed a position and there happens to be one available in the Emerald City.

Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Joe Wieland

'Boog' Powell

So long, fellas.  I hope that all of you do well in your future endeavors.  Perhaps you can tap into the potential seen in the M's system and have success elsewhere in the baseball world.  Just... not against the M's, OK?

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,406 posts
😁

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP

Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,406 posts
https://sports.yahoo...-035554341.html

http://www.espn.com/...-pitching-elbow

This could ease the regret of not getting.

"Regret," the horse player

Edited by Señor Octobre, 12 December 2017 - 10:12 PM.

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP

Greg Halman ~ RIP  

mesully

mesully
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Certainly tempers expectations.

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,202 posts
I wonder if this is the prelude to the Angels committing to converting him to OF-only. At the least, it's a little convenient to let it leak.

In the event he struggles some on the mound, the "revealed medical history" from his physical could be used as a nice excuse to give him a partial or full year in AAA to convert to full-time RF. If he doesn't, this just kind of fades away (unless/ until he does have medical problems).

AAPs:

Kyle Lewis

Mike Ford

Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Joe Wieland

'Boog' Powell

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,406 posts
He making peanuts (2 mill) comparatively. The Angels 20 mill to Japan is cheap.

Edited by Señor Octobre, 13 December 2017 - 01:46 PM.

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP

Greg Halman ~ RIP  

mesully

mesully
  • Members
  • 465 posts

He didn't pitch much last year so it will take a couple of years to build him up to a 175 inning pitcher. I don't expect him to be a huge difference maker right away. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users