Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Ohtani Sweepstakes.....who Wins?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Ohtani Sweepstakes....Who Wins? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Team Will Win The Ohtani Sweepstakes?

1. The Evil Empire....... (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. L A Dodgers..... (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Seattle Mariners..... (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

4. Boston Red Sox..... (0 votes [0.00%])

5. S F Giants..... (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

6. A Highly Unexpected Team That Blows Us All Away..... (4 votes [30.77%])

Percentage of vote: 30.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 758 posts

He was posted today and has until December 22 to choose his new team.

Where do you predict Ohtani will land?

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 10,477 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

We need to...

We have to...

We deserve to....

He's gotta choose us, since perhaps we answered his letter in japanesse.

Seattle Mariners, playing lousy baseball for 16 years in a row (and counting)...

mesully

mesully
  • Members
  • 465 posts
Desperately needed here!

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 758 posts

There may be a chance he lands with the Giants. If the Giants land Stanton I would be surprised at all to see them make a run at Ohtani.

Other possible reasoning behind this ridiculous kind of thinking........Still a reasonably short flight to Japan, can establish his own Japanese star status without the shadows and comparisons of former Japanese stars from that team, National League Team so he can hit when pitching, he really doesn't need the bright lights of LA or NY,  the list could go on and on........

I hope there is some way Seattle could land this guy but I'm not going to hold my breath..

Tacoma Rain

Tacoma Rain
  • Members
  • 169 posts

The guys at the noon hour on KJR today persuaded me that Anaheim​ Los Angeles Angels could slime their way in...

West Coast City 

No Japanese Star now or in past where there is history to be compared to

Competitive team with current stars

Room in starting rotation

Opening in OF / DH?? - possibly not but trades are possible

Solid reputation for building a player through draft / teaching young players

Just got more Int'l money today, and could get more

Good Local Japanese community

Near water / good weather

I HOPE I am wrong, but... 

Edited by Tacoma Rain, 01 December 2017 - 03:43 PM.

Adopt-a-players:

Nick Neidert

Starting RHP, 6'1" 180 lbs., born 11/20/1996, Selected in 2nd round of 2015 directly out of high school

Currently ranked ​​the BEST Mariner pitching prospect in August 2016 by MLB.com... overall #4 Mariner Prospect.

in 2015, Played with AZL Mariners at Rookie level, where he had an ERA 1.53 and G/F ratio 2.55​

​In late May 2016, Promoted to Clinton. 108.2 innings, 2.44 ERA, 86 hits 90 K's, and 16 walks... and he is still 19 years old!!!

Joe Rizzo

​3B/OF/DH, Bats L - Throws - R, 5'9" 195 lbs., born 3/31/98, Selected in 2nd round of 2016 directly out of high school

​Currently rated BEST PURE Mariner hitting prospect in farm system by MLB.com... Currently ranked #7 Mariner Prospect.

​In 2016, Played with AZL Mariners at Rookie Level, where he had .291/.355/.392 in 39 games

​Skills: Great contact skills, great baseball IQ and makeup, very strong hands & wrists, very quick bat, defense will always be an issue wherever he plays 

Christopher Torres

​SS/2B, Bats - S, Throws - R, 5'11" 170 lbs., born 2/6/98, Signed as Int'l Free Agent in 2014 out of DR

​Currently rated MOST COMPLETE SS Prospect by MLB.com... overall #11 Mariner Prospect.

​In 2016, Played with AZL Mariners at Rookie Level, where he had .257/.337/.359 in 44 games with 12 SB

​Skills: Great arm, quick release, very good range, very good speed and quickness, above average contact skills

Former Adopt-a-player:

Jordy Lara  - 2014 Mariner Prospect of the year - 1B/3B/OF

Ryan Yarbrough - Starting LHP - Traded to Tampa for Drew Smyly

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,202 posts

The guys at the noon hour on KJR today persuaded me that Anaheim​ Los Angeles Angels could slime their way in...
West Coast City 
No Japanese Star now or in past where there is history to be compared to
Competitive team with current stars
Room in starting rotation
Opening in OF / DH?? - possibly not but trades are possible
Solid reputation for building a player through draft / teaching young players
Just got more Int'l money today, and could get more
Good Local Japanese community
Near water / good weather

I HOPE I am wrong, but... 

That actually makes me wonder what the known mindset (if known) of Ohtani is on that element of going to a unique-for-NPB-superstar MLB city is. Some have indeed preferred staying away from Seattle because of the Ichiro spectre and making their own names elsewhere in the league, but the M's certainly did attack one of the best to come over in Johjima because of his reverence for Ichiro.

It is an interesting thought and one where we just MIGHT (a big, BIG might) be able to get an idea about if he's spoken to US or Japanese media enough.

AAPs:

Kyle Lewis

The M's 2016 first round pick and the 11th Overall is the system's top prospect and has several accolades to his name.  Even though he is currently out of commission recovering from injury, he still has a whole bunch of potential.

Mike Ford

This Rule 5-acquired first baseman just might be the M's best player at the position.  I'm betting on it!  He's never walked less than he's K'd and he just flashed some serious power in his first taste of AAA.  He just needed a position and there happens to be one available in the Emerald City.

Gone, but not forgotten AAPs:
Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Joe Wieland

'Boog' Powell

So long, fellas.  I hope that all of you do well in your future endeavors.  Perhaps you can tap into the potential seen in the M's system and have success elsewhere in the baseball world.  Just... not against the M's, OK?

Slothcliff Hokum

Slothcliff Hokum

The Cat's Meow

• Members
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Things, and stuff like that.

Warning:  none of the following opinions are based in a whole lot of fact!   biggrin.png

I think we have as good a chance as anyone of landing Ohtani.  I think the Dodgers will end up getting him, and that we will finish second in the sweepstakes.

Seattle is a pretty nice place to live.  It's closer to Japan than any other American MLB cities that aren't on the West Coast, and it has substantial Asian culture, so if those things are important to him, it leaves Seattle, SF, Oakland, San Diego, the Dodgers and the Angels as the six major competitors.  Arizona could be in the mix.  None of those six (or seven) teams were winners last year with the exception of the Dodgers and D-Backs.  So if he wants to play on the West Coast and play for a winner, the Dodgers would seem to me to be a natural choice. 

And of course if money is a big issue, it just becomes a matter of whose pockets are deepest.  

What intangibles might be in play?  If there are some, and if Seattle plays them well, he could come here.     

I also think it's hard to tell how good he might really be in MLB, considering he has never played MLB.  In that regard, I think he is somewhat of a gamble for spending huge money.  Just the same, all indicators are that he can be an impact player.  The Mariners are still beggars, and if beggars can't be choosers, Seattle has no choice but to go all out for the guy.  

I doubt that he would be a real two-way player, as in play in the outfield four days, then pitch the fifth day...  my guess is that he would ultimately become a pitcher who might DH or get a start in the field once in a while.  If that's what the M's would eventually choose to do with him, that's OK by me.  We need starting pitching in a big way, and on the days he wasn't pitching, he would give the manager some intriguing bench options.  

It will be fascinating to see where he ends up playing.  As long as it's not with anyone besides the M's, I think it's fine.  biggrin.png   Like Pitchin Fool, I am not holding my breath...  but I do think we're in the mix.  

Edited by Slothcliff Hokum, 03 December 2017 - 12:22 PM.

My Adopt-a-Players:
Dominic Leone
Kyle Hunter

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."  - Yogi Berra 

topher65

topher65

Drinks beer... Lives in Hawaii... I hate him...

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
NYY out. He wants a smaller market team on the Westcoast! Probably come down to us or the Giants.

I put us as the frontrunners!

http://www.12up.com/...ani?a_aid=40030
I got a full slate of Hawaiian adopt-a-sons......and 2 happen to be catchers on the same team!!

Starting off with:

Charles Ka'alekahi - Currently a starting pitcher with the Clinton Lumber Kings.
3 wins and 1 loss on the season with a 4.85 ERA, 26 IP, 20 SO vs. 12BB

Next is the catching duo with the Everett Aquasox:

Christian (Keanu) Carmichael - Catcher
.302 AVG, .362 OBP, .434 SLG, .796 OPS, 4 doubles and 1 HR, 2 RBI

Carlton Tanabe - Catcher
Everett Stats: .261 AVG, .306 OBP, .348 SLG, .654 OPS, 2 doubles 1 HR, 5 RBI

mesully

mesully
  • Members
  • 465 posts
A's are out also.

https://www.cbssport...ankees-red-sox/

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,406 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
I have this sneaking suspicion that he'll go to the Giants, although Seattle, still in the running zzz which is a good sign. Do the M's still broadcast to Japan? 7:00pm in Seattle is like noon in Japan, if I got it right. The idea he'll hit on pitching days in NL sites brings fun back to the game.

They had more fun in the old days.

In his last game, Walter Johnson PH and flew out (f-9) to Ruth. Ruth holds an edge head up Pitcher vs Pitcher against Johnson and held his own as a hitter.

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

DJ Peterson ~ w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system

Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts -
Wyatt Mills ~ Appeared in seven games freshman at Gonzaga, 12 innings, 3.65 era. As a sophomore, 19.1 innings, with a 2.79 era, K'ed 38 batters in 37 innings as a jr. in 22 appearances, pitched four scoreless at UW March 28th., As a Senior, went 2-2 with a 1.79 ERA in 40.1 innings of work: 58/4 K/BB,pitched final 3.2 innings May 20 versus BYU, fanning five to help GU clinch share of regular season conference title. At Everett, had a 0.67 whip vs RH and a 0.23 whip vs RH at Clinton.. 20 innings combined at Everett and Clinton to go with the 40 as a a Senior at Gonzaga..

https://cdn.vox-cdn....Gonzaga_1.0.jpg

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP

Greg Halman ~ RIP  

MarinersMoose

MarinersMoose

Alces Marinus

• Members
  • 587 posts

I think that he provides more value to an NL team than an AL team, so I think that SF will get him.

On an NL team, on days when he pitches they basically get a DH.

On an AL team, on days when he pitches we don't get a DH, and our DH (Cruz) plays in the OF.

On an NL team, I could see his schedule being:

1 - Pitch

2 - Rest

3 - RF

4 - RF

5 - Rest 

6 - Pitch

etc.

On the Mariners, I guess he might:

1 - Pitch (Cruz in OF)

2 - DH or rest (Cruz in OF if he is DH, Cruz DH if he rests)

3 - RF (Cruz DH)

4 - RF (Cruz DH)

5 - DH or rest (Cruz in of or DH)

6 - Pitch

etc.

If we are offering him more AB than an NL team (because he can semi-rest/DH sometimes) maybe that would swing him towards us... but I still think he brings more value to an NL team because they get a full 9 strong "AL/DH lineup" when he pitches, and that would be helpful.  The other negative is that when he pitches and hits, once we take him out we're basically playing by NL rules because we can't put a DH in.  Not a big deal if he goes 6 or 7 IP and then we have a setup guy and then a closer, but it does limit flexibility (or makes one of our relievers bat) especially if he has a short 4 or 5 inning outing.

My Adopt-A-Players:

Mayckol Guaipe - RHP, Tacoma Raniers Seattle Mariners claimed by Chicago White Sox Mexican League

Former Adopt-A-Player:

Ketel Marte - Traded to the Diamondbacks, along with another player, for Jean Segura, Mitch Haniger, and Zac Curtis

mesully

mesully
  • Members
  • 465 posts
Another thing we could do is platoon him at first base with Healy or in the outfield with Heredia. There are ways to be inventive to get him at bats. We NEED him!

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 758 posts

Yes we do need him, In the worst way.  It would really be nice to button this up before the winter meetings start on Sunday.

One would think that no matter the outcome of the Ohtani Sweepstakes Jerry's job will be much more defined going into the winter meetings.

If we could somehow land Ohtani Jerry's ability to go out and fill the remaining holes would become very doable.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,406 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
Start him at 1B and then have him close the game. 🙄

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

DJ Peterson ~ w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system

Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts -
Wyatt Mills ~ Appeared in seven games freshman at Gonzaga, 12 innings, 3.65 era. As a sophomore, 19.1 innings, with a 2.79 era, K'ed 38 batters in 37 innings as a jr. in 22 appearances, pitched four scoreless at UW March 28th., As a Senior, went 2-2 with a 1.79 ERA in 40.1 innings of work: 58/4 K/BB,pitched final 3.2 innings May 20 versus BYU, fanning five to help GU clinch share of regular season conference title. At Everett, had a 0.67 whip vs RH and a 0.23 whip vs RH at Clinton.. 20 innings combined at Everett and Clinton to go with the 40 as a a Senior at Gonzaga..

https://cdn.vox-cdn....Gonzaga_1.0.jpg

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP

Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 10,477 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

Is there a deadline for his decision?

Seattle Mariners, playing lousy baseball for 16 years in a row (and counting)...

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 758 posts

Yes Pirata, he has to sign by December 22.

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 10,477 posts

Yes Pirata, he has to sign by December 22.

Thanks Pitching Fool!

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,150 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!

Ok, now things have become a bit more ... desperate.  The M's traded away their best young pitching prospect in Nick Neidert, and a couple of other Milb players for Dee Gordon and (perhaps more importantly) an additional $1 million bucks in international signing money.  The Mariners now have the most money to offer Ohtani by way of a signing bonus.  

I'm not sure that I like this deal.  Gordon will be manning CF for us, which is a good thing since we actually need one.  He turns 30 in April, but players with his skill set usually age much better than the average player.  Gordon's positives is that he hits for a good average (.293 career), and is all kinds of fast (60 SB in 2017).  In his 7 year MLB career he has played exclusively at either SS or 2nd.  In 2015 he won a GG.  How the M's (or, whoever) convinced him to move to CF is beyond me.

Gordon signed a 5 year deal back in 2015 for $50 million to take him through 2020 with a team option for 2021.

On the surface, this looks like a pretty good deal if they hadn't dealt away their best young pitcher who is a year or so away from the MLB level.  Our biggest need (IMHO), is starting pitching, and this could hurt the team in the long run if they fail to land Ohtani.

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

M's Watcher

M's Watcher

I've got my eyes on you...

• Members
  • 3,466 posts

OK, if JeDi thinks he can get Ohtani, then where do they all play?  OF is Gamel, Gordon, and Haniger, Cruz is DH, and Healy 1B.  So where does Ohtani play when not pitching?  Is there another trade coming?  Like Seager for pitching, with Healy moving to 3B?  Can Healy even play 3B, at least more than just writing his name there on the lineup card?  Where does it go from here?

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,202 posts

Do the M's still broadcast to Japan?

Hasegawa was the Ms Japanese language broadcaster the last I knew, but I'm probably not much, if any, more up to date than you are.

As for SF vs Sea, I can't help but think he'll prefer the NL team just because of the rules. That would suck for the Ms and us, but that's my suspicion.

AAPs:

Kyle Lewis

The M's 2016 first round pick and the 11th Overall is the system's top prospect and has several accolades to his name.  Even though he is currently out of commission recovering from injury, he still has a whole bunch of potential.

Mike Ford

This Rule 5-acquired first baseman just might be the M's best player at the position.  I'm betting on it!  He's never walked less than he's K'd and he just flashed some serious power in his first taste of AAA.  He just needed a position and there happens to be one available in the Emerald City.

Gone, but not forgotten AAPs:
Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Joe Wieland

'Boog' Powell

So long, fellas.  I hope that all of you do well in your future endeavors.  Perhaps you can tap into the potential seen in the M's system and have success elsewhere in the baseball world.  Just... not against the M's, OK?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users