Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Went Wrong, And When

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,148 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!

POPULAR

.... Damn.  This team drives me to drink.  Ok, I do it anyways, but they can lead me to drink to excess.  Um, alright, I do that at times on my own too, but anyway...

So, a year of futility added to the heap of continuous years of futility.  What the Hell?  What happened?  Who needs to shoulder the blame for this latest poor showing?  Front office?  Team management/coaching?  Pitching?  Defense?  Offense?  Concessions?  The weather?  Me? A combination of all factors?

Was there a single point in the season where you just knew that this team was destined to yet another crappy season?  

I'm tired of this.  I'm tired of being filled with false expectations.  I'm tired of seeing my hopes dashed once again.  I'm on the verge of cancelling my MLBtv subscription.  I believe that I watch 3/4 of the games during the season.  That comes out to about 121 games.  Figure each lasts about 3 hours.  It is almost scary to think that I have spent a total of 365 hours watching a team that has failed me for the last 16 years.  That works out to a bit over 15 days.  That is 15 days that I will never get back.  

For as long as there are folks who post here, this site will remain up.  I love each and every one of you too much to cut off this connection.  I depend on you all to keep me sane.  But, don't be surprised if one day you come to the site and the banner reads "Rockies Central"....

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 10,455 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

My thoughts exactly Lonnie, couldn't had said it better than you.

Sometimes I feel like I'm a Mariner-addict, who needs to watch Mariner baseball, because of how deep I've fallen in my addiction, even though I know it's completely bad for my health, but I keep doing it no matter what, and after each season of futility you end up ackowledging how much time you've wasted watching this joke of a team.

This forum and its people is like going to AA, where you meet others who share your same addiction, and where we can ventilate all of our frustrations about this team.  Thank you again for it Lonnie.  Let it never die, even if it becomes, for our own health, Rockies Central, I for one, would root for them....

Seattle Mariners, playing lousy baseball for 16 years in a row (and counting)...

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 10,455 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

As for the "when", that's the worst thing.

There have been many seasons during this 16-year span, in which by May we've already known they are out, so it has been easier to swallow by watching other sports.

But this year, it was a total tease.

There were brilliant moments, like the day we beat the crap out of the Astros with Félix on the mound, in which I really thought we could do it, only to be followed by a streak of futility.

Then, after many injuries, we had another real chance by late August, early September, in which a gutsy win made me thought this team was for real.  Only to be followed again by losses and losses and stupid losses.

The teasing is what has me bothered about this year.  Had we tanked by the All Star Beak, it would had been easier to swallow, but we can't deny that JeDi tried his best to fix this team, he brought us Yonder, he brought us Erasmo, he brought us Gonzales, Leake, etc.  He really tried hard to push us to that ever avoided playoff appearance.

Edited by Pirata Morado, 09 October 2017 - 11:02 AM.

Seattle Mariners, playing lousy baseball for 16 years in a row (and counting)...

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,362 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
Not just the Mariners, but MLB is a bad product. Where is the baseball I grew up watching? Strikeouts or home run. That's it. The announcer the other night said a player had a productive at bat, where he struck out but looked at eight pitches. The games take forever. I end up falling asleep before the end of the game. With 162/180 plus the playoffs, the boys of Summer are the boys of Winter. The Championship is decided in freeze ass cold. Everyone throws a hundred but they are always injured. Kids in high school are getting Tommy John's at an alarming rate. Replays, umpires and commercials. Even with replays they can't get it right. The umpires are bigger than the game. The NBA has sucked and the NFL sucks now. Take a knee. Don't take one. Sit in the locker room. College Football is my only option. Fairly quick games and I'm not emotionally invested. The Kids play hard.

Edited by Señor Octobre, 10 October 2017 - 01:37 AM.

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

DJ Peterson ~ w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system

Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts -

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

MarinersMoose

MarinersMoose

Alces Marinus

• Members
  • 579 posts

There were a couple of points in the season where I figured it was over... and then they went on a winning rampage for a while and got my hopes up again... only to be dashed by another losing streak.

August 9 we were 59-56 and in sole possession of the second wildcard slot.  I started thinking, "maybe I'm going to need to plan a trip to Seattle in October to catch a game (or hopefully more)".

Then we lost the next 5 games... Ok... pretty much season over...  swept by LAA in a 4 game home series and then lost the first game of a 3 game home series to Baltimore to fall something like 3 or 4 games out of a WC slot. but then we won seven of the next 9 games to get back to 3 games over .500 at 66-63.... OK, maybe it still is a season.

Then we lost the next 5 games.... OK... pretty much season over...  no that is not an accidental duplication of the beginning of the previous paragraph.  That's when I really threw in the towel.  We won the next 3 after that (one a walk-off) to get us back over .500, but even at that point I didn't regain any hope.  They had shown what they were capable of, and multiple 5 game losing streaks over the course of less than a month are a definite red flag for a successful playoff push.

The pitching injuries have been given much of the blame for the failed season, but I really think we need to get more consistent on offense if we are going to go anywhere.  2018 is a tipping point, as we're getting close to the end of the productive years of Cano, and it's our last with Cruz under contract (unless we sign him to a risky extension... I'd be ok with adding a guaranteed year plus a team option year during this offseason, but my guess is that he will hold out for FA and get 3 years guaranteed after 2018 with someone willing to take a chance on him aging like Ortiz rather than ... Sexson or Boone or countless other Mariners who ended abruptly).

My Adopt-A-Players:

Mayckol Guaipe - RHP, Tacoma Raniers Seattle Mariners claimed by Chicago White Sox Mexican League

Former Adopt-A-Player:

Ketel Marte - Traded to the Diamondbacks, along with another player, for Jean Segura, Mitch Haniger, and Zac Curtis

topher65

topher65

Drinks beer... Lives in Hawaii... I hate him...

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
I am just a glutton for punishment here. I guess you could say I am a Mariner addict. It's like heroin or something.

I day I will stop watching and going to games but.....that doesn't last long.

Don't know if I will ever stop being a fam and wstching the games.
I got a full slate of Hawaiian adopt-a-sons......and 2 happen to be catchers on the same team!!

Starting off with:

Charles Ka'alekahi - Currently a starting pitcher with the Clinton Lumber Kings.
3 wins and 1 loss on the season with a 4.85 ERA, 26 IP, 20 SO vs. 12BB

Next is the catching duo with the Everett Aquasox:

Christian (Keanu) Carmichael - Catcher
.302 AVG, .362 OBP, .434 SLG, .796 OPS, 4 doubles and 1 HR, 2 RBI

Carlton Tanabe - Catcher
Everett Stats: .261 AVG, .306 OBP, .348 SLG, .654 OPS, 2 doubles 1 HR, 5 RBI

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Moderators
  • 5,789 posts

What went wrong and when?

I'd say the What was a poorly constructed pitching staff and a lack of fundamentals among the position players.

- Yes, they suffered a bunch of injuries to the rotation, but Felix didn't look great in ST and Iwakuma was running on fumes last season. I expected at least one of them to underperform and miss a bunch of the season - turned out it was both of them.

- For as much talent as Paxton has, he's never been a healthy, reliable option for a full season. Guess he's kind of like Bedard - great talent and glimpses of greatness when he's on the field, but you know he's going to miss time.

- No one expected much out of Gallardo.

- I was excited about Smyly after seeing his starts in the WBC, so losing him hurt more than the others. I was hoping he could be the innings-eating middle of the rotation guy the team needed.

- And the bullpen was built on wild fireballers and flyball pitchers. That group was destined to give up a bunch of home runs. You just hoped the starting pitching was good enough to limit the bullpen exposure. Instead, the bullpen picked up a huge chunk of the workload - 570 innings or just short of 40% of total innings pitched.

- As far as the position players: the offense was there. I mean they hit pretty well and weren't as dependent on home runs to score as they were the year before. But, holy cow, the baserunning blunders and fielding errors! This was a team that badly needed to work on the basics, because they were tripping all over themselves all season.

As to the when...

I just felt something in Spring Training again this year. As a result, I was down on them from the get-go. I dug back into the archives and found this gem that I posted on April 6th:

This team SHOULD be good. On paper, it has all the parts needed to be good (although both the bullpen and rotation have some question marks).

But I've been burnt so many times by Mariners teams coming off a good season with expectations of improvement, only to see them sleepwalk through half the season and fall so far out of contention that we end up being major players at the trade deadline.

The "Almost There" : "Bust" cycle of underachievement gets so demoralizing after a while that you just come to expect it. Yeah, this team SHOULD be good enough to make the playoffs. And it wouldn't surprise me one iota if they produce a sub .500 season.

Somehow I just felt that we were looking at another underachieving team from Day 1.

Hopefully that lights a fire under them and they come back next season ready to play up to their potential. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Adopt-a-Players:

Evan White - 1B drafted out of Kentucky. Currently hitting .277/.345/.532/.877 for the AquaSox

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):

Forrest Snow - Signed a minor league deal with the Brewers. Split time between AA and AAA this season.

Alex Jackson - Traded to Atlanta, moved back to catcher and finally hit well in High-A ball. Now hitting .091/.412/.182/.594 in AA
Eric Thames - Slowed down after a hot start. Hitting .253/.373/.537/.910 for the Brewers.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Now sells cigars.
Mike Morse - Back with the SF Giants but hasn't played since May due to injuries. Looks like time has caught up with him.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a national scout for the Cards.

Updated: 08/02/2017

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 13,044 posts

So, a year of futility added to the heap of continuous years of futility.  What the Hell?  What happened?  Who needs to shoulder the blame for this latest poor showing?  Front office?  Team management/coaching?  Pitching?  Defense?  Offense?  Concessions?  The weather?  Me? A combination of all factors?

Was there a single point in the season where you just knew that this team was destined to yet another crappy season?  

I'm tired of this.  I'm tired of being filled with false expectations.  I'm tired of seeing my hopes dashed once again.  I'm on the verge of cancelling my MLBtv subscription.  I believe that I watch 3/4 of the games during the season.  That comes out to about 121 games.  Figure each lasts about 3 hours.  It is almost scary to think that I have spent a total of 365 hours watching a team that has failed me for the last 16 years.  That works out to a bit over 15 days.  That is 15 days that I will never get back.  

For as long as there are folks who post here, this site will remain up.  I love each and every one of you too much to cut off this connection.  I depend on you all to keep me sane.  But, don't be surprised if one day you come to the site and the banner reads "Rockies Central"....

The consensus of blame seems to be injuries, especially to the starting rotation. That may be why we didn't make it to the postseason, but even with Felix and Paxton healthy I doubt we would have gone far in the postseason. The teams that made it to the LCS are simply too loaded.

When Felix and Paxton went down shortly after returning to the rotation, I knew it was over. The team did well to stay into it, but we needed them back before the first of September, not the last week of the season.

Me too. As long as we stay limited in salary and can't go out and get the top free agents we are doomed to continual frustration. Had management gone into a total rebuild when they should have, we would not be in a position financially and talent wise to make the necessary moves. As long as Dipoto is forced to look for players in the "bargain bin" we will remain focused on getting to the postseason, not the World Series. I don't see this situation changing for years.

Adopt-A-Players:

TBD.

BattingPractice

BattingPractice
  • Grand Slam Boosters
  • 736 posts

The best game of the year and also the worst game of the year, was Felix vs Smyly in the WBC. It had me dreaming of riches in pitching this year. I hope management thinks twice about letting players go next time. That or spring training for those needs to start earlier.

I am a baseball addict too. I have stopped to watch a little league game when I knew no one on either team but saw they had put up a brand new field with new turf. Part of me really misses coaching the kids, but that really reduced the time I could spend at Safeco field (my main addiction).

I didn't post much this year, for that I am sorry. I did read just about everyday. Once the injuries hit there was not much to say. I did think we got a great look at the pitching potential in the org this year and with a very few exceptions, it wasn't pretty. Glad we got Leake and others. Jedi was trying to save this year.

Looking forward to next year already. Hot Stove for first base and maybe a backup catcher but otherwise the position players are set. Hope they find some healthy pitchers before spring training. The long cold winter looms.

mesully

mesully
  • Members
  • 451 posts

It really all went wrong years ago with wasted high draft picks and lineups full of DH's. It will take a while to get it right, especially in this tough division.

Look for the Angels and Rangers to try to make some big moves this off season along with the M's. The margin of error is very small. Everyone is looking for pitching and the market will be ever inflating.

IWantZduriencik'sJob

IWantZduriencik'sJob

Will GM your team for food...

• Members
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:Snow. Hiking. Fresh air and a good book.

From the beginning I was worried about this team. I was hoping for 81 wins at best. Paxton is Chris Snelling all over again. Paxton has played much more MLB than Snelling, but seems to get hurt often. Felix has lots of innings building up on that shoulder. The Mariners wasted his talent. I'm worried about his HOF chances now.

The young position players played very well. I wish we had Chris Taylor too. But he needed a change of scenery for greater success. Have you heard that before.

As for the five games winning streaks that got our collective hopes up, then five terrible games that broke our heart. I felt it was mostly about pitchers facing clubs for the second time. For example, Ramirez faces the Angels for the first time and has great success. Second time he faces them less success. Third time a pitcher faced a club don't even turn on the television. Albers has a serviceable first start or 3 runs against Houston. Second start he gives up 5 runs in three innings. Early in the season I had never heard of some of the Spaghetti Dipoto was serving. 

Good news for next year:

Zunino may have turned a corner.

Heredia looks great as a fourth outfielder.

Mitch Haniger may be the better player long term in the Walker deal.

Dipoto knows how to build a bullpen. Or remake a bullpen mid-season.

Ben Gamels may be Chris Taylor for the Mariners.

Erazmo has grown up and matured well. We no-longer have Lloyd bad mouthing Eraso after 5 innings, 3 run starts.

Leake will have a full season.

Bad news for next season:

Seager has declined.

Cano has declined.

Starting pitching.

Yonder Alonso is gone and so is Valencia.

We are going into Cruz's last season. Three years wasted.

Edited by IWantZduriencik'sJob, 21 October 2017 - 07:52 AM.

Yogi--
1. I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.
2. It ain't the heat, it's the humility.

M's Watcher

M's Watcher

I've got my eyes on you...

• Members
  • 3,462 posts

Blame it on the WBC damaging 40% of our rotation, Smyly and Felix.  Blame also the season-long base running ineptitude.  Round up the usual suspects, fire a few coaches, but don't blame your vets for their lack of leadership in this area.  In fact, the vets led the ineptitude.  Where do we go from here?  Maybe move to a minor league city and cancel cable tv.

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 13,044 posts

Yes, the WBC needs to move to the middle of the season. It puts too much pressure on pitchers to do it during ST. Of course, that doesn't explain Paxton, or the fact that the teams that made the postseason also participated in the WBC. Dipoto had to replace his whole rotation with guys from the waiver wire, and they did great to end up as close as they did.

What was the biggest differences between teams playing in the psseason and the Mariners? Those teams went out and got top line starting pitching and Dipoto sorted through the leftovers. Smyly, Felix and Paxton were all very replaceable by guys that cost a lot of money. Other teams spent the money and made it to the postseason. If ownership had been willing to spend money, the Mariners would have been in the postseason with a decent chance to make it to the World Series. 

Adopt-A-Players:

TBD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users