Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

So Long Safeco Field

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Moderators
  • 5,785 posts

Safeco will not renew agreement for naming rights.

http://www.seattlepi...18-11216600.php

Adopt-a-Players:

Evan White - 1B drafted out of Kentucky. Currently hitting .277/.345/.532/.877 for the AquaSox

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):

Forrest Snow - Signed a minor league deal with the Brewers. Split time between AA and AAA this season.

Alex Jackson - Traded to Atlanta, moved back to catcher and finally hit well in High-A ball. Now hitting .091/.412/.182/.594 in AA
Eric Thames - Slowed down after a hot start. Hitting .253/.373/.537/.910 for the Brewers.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Now sells cigars.
Mike Morse - Back with the SF Giants but hasn't played since May due to injuries. Looks like time has caught up with him.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a national scout for the Cards.

Updated: 08/02/2017

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 727 posts

Seemed this day would come once Safeco was acquired by Liberty Mutual back in 08.

Should we start a pool or naming contest on whom the new partnering venture will be with?

I'll start it with.........    "Amazon Prime Baseball Field of Seattle"

anunderwaterguy

anunderwaterguy
  • Members
  • 495 posts

Someone mentioned Starbucks Grounds on Twitter which is a nice pun if nothing else.

I'll go for the Nintendo Switch Warioland Galaxy Stadium.

As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,323 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
Hope they name the field after Dave. The park them can put their brand.
Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

DJ Peterson ~ batting .220 w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system
 Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts - 3rd in system w/ 71 R. (.352) BABIP, and 13 3B's
Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Moderators
  • 5,785 posts

There have been a lot of potential names floated by fans out there.

Some make no sense at all. Teams buy naming rights for the advertising. Every time the field is mentioned, the name gets out there. Granted: Baseball is different than other sports like Football. Baseball's broadcasts are more regional than national, so the need for a national brand to be the sponsor is lessened a bit. But at the very least, the sponsor must be prevalent enough throughout the broadcast region (and the Mariners region is HUGE) to gain some advantage from the sponsorship.

So the ideas of Dick's Field or Top Pot Stadium or Ezell's Famous Chicken Coop make little sense. Those brands don't even cover all of King, Pierce and Snohomish counties.

Starbucks is already the first name people think of when you say coffee, so name recognition doesn't buy them much.

Boeing isn't trying to sell a consumer product, so naming rights does little for them either.

The one that makes the most sense is Alaska Airlines.

But, personally, I'd like to see the publicly owned field be named after Dave Niehaus. It'll never happen, but that's what I'd like.

Adopt-a-Players:

Evan White - 1B drafted out of Kentucky. Currently hitting .277/.345/.532/.877 for the AquaSox

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):

Forrest Snow - Signed a minor league deal with the Brewers. Split time between AA and AAA this season.

Alex Jackson - Traded to Atlanta, moved back to catcher and finally hit well in High-A ball. Now hitting .091/.412/.182/.594 in AA
Eric Thames - Slowed down after a hot start. Hitting .253/.373/.537/.910 for the Brewers.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Now sells cigars.
Mike Morse - Back with the SF Giants but hasn't played since May due to injuries. Looks like time has caught up with him.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a national scout for the Cards.

Updated: 08/02/2017

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,323 posts
https://youtu.be/6qPRNyJIgiA

Forgot a-rod K'ed by Sasaki for win 116

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 727 posts

cpoint.gifI too would love to see Dave's moniker on the building.

BISON

BISON
  • Members
  • 391 posts

Several parks still have the team name.  So, Mariner Field/Park/Stadium works just fine for me.  Just please don't let something lame be next.  Guaranteed Rate Field is awful.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,323 posts
Alaska Air would be best corporate name. Like Ivar hung a salmon windsock on top of the Smith Tower, so could Alaska Air hang native theme.

Edited by Señor Octobre, 14 June 2017 - 03:09 PM.

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 5,000 posts
Amazon is another somewhat realistic option.
You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

=============================

gowazzu02

gowazzu02
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Alaska is already the sponsor of husky stadium and hoops arena. 

Not sure the Amazon really gains anything from it?

gowazzu02

gowazzu02
  • Members
  • 104 posts

I can't take credit for the idea, Read it elsewhere.  But I think the leader in the clubhouse is going to be T-Mobile.  They already do alot with MLB streaming and what not.   They are based in Bellevue,  that is a company that could use a little in your phase consumer marketing going against the other big cell providers.

Im making that my guess.

As for nicknames,  "The big T" .  The "cell" "the Hot spot"

Edited by gowazzu02, 15 June 2017 - 08:59 AM.

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 727 posts

With some respect I would hope that Starbucks does not become involved in the naming rights of our beloved ballpark.

Howard Schultz left a pretty sour taste in my mouth with the sale of and subsequent move of the Sonics.

I'd prefer not to have Howard or his brand involved in any Seattle sports unless of course he would like to donate to Chris Hansen's effort to bring Basketball back to Seattle.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,323 posts
Yes and they rock the 12 flag down on Lander St. Shame

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 5,000 posts

Alaska is already the sponsor of husky stadium and hoops arena. 

Not sure the Amazon really gains anything from it?

Amazon just bought Whole Foods for $13.7 billion cash. Their business model is to be...everything to everyone, everywhere. 

You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,178 posts
Other than nameplating the company every time the team's stadium is mentioned and increasing brand recognition, I don't know if any real benefit for the company. Possibly cementing a brand's regional ties for notoriety sake as that seems to follow a lot of everyone's thoughts here (and I'm pretty sure was the case for Safeco when they originally​ purchased the rights).

Everything mentioned are corporations well-established as "Seattle" companies, so like a couple have mentioned, maybe it doesn't make as much sense. Or maybe it makes more if, for example, Amazon wants to name it after one of their newer services.

I'd rather it be named after Dave or maybe even Junior. Just imagine visiting Griffey Field at the corner of Edgar and Dave. Not sure who else would be worthy of that honor (and I know some here wouldn't even like my suggestion!).

AAPs:

Herschel Mack Just call me 'Boog' Powell IV has just been promoted to The Show for the first time and is hoping to stick around for a couple dozen years or so.

Joe Snake Eyes Wieland has been a mid-K, super-low-BB, Groundball machine in the minors and has a ~90 mph FB.  With his potential for masterful zone control, he's looking like the textbook Dipoto-type SP.

Gone, but not forgotten AAPs:
Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Something horrible happened to Franklin and Elias.  Franklin was as sexy a blue-chipper as the M's have seen in a while, but it never materialized.  Elias was a bulldog with lots of Moxy, but fell off.  Miller, after looking like he'll never stick at SS or learn the OF, is forcing the Rays to play him somewhere because of his bat.

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 727 posts

cpoint.gifI love your suggestion. After all, it is the "house that Griffey built". Spending the day at Griffey Field on the corner of Edgar and Dave would seem totally fitting.

Unfortunately I believe there will be a little corporate greed oops, I mean corporate dollars involved to secure the naming rights and somehow I don't know that they would include Griffey in that name.

With that said a clever marketing department could make it work.ie, Alaska Airlines Ken Griffey Field, or Amazon Prime At Griffey Field, T-Mobile's Ken Griffey Baseball Park etc. I realize it would take a much smarter mind than what my examples exhibit but it should be do able.

Great Thought Dag!

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,323 posts
http://www.historyli...campaign=buffer

Safeco Field opens.

Who hit the last Kingdome home run and the first Safeco home run?

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 5,000 posts

Other than nameplating the company every time the team's stadium is mentioned and increasing brand recognition, I don't know if any real benefit for the company. Possibly cementing a brand's regional ties for notoriety sake as that seems to follow a lot of everyone's thoughts here (and I'm pretty sure was the case for Safeco when they originally​ purchased the rights).

Everything mentioned are corporations well-established as "Seattle" companies, so like a couple have mentioned, maybe it doesn't make as much sense. Or maybe it makes more if, for example, Amazon wants to name it after one of their newer services.

I'd rather it be named after Dave or maybe even Junior. Just imagine visiting Griffey Field at the corner of Edgar and Dave. Not sure who else would be worthy of that honor (and I know some here wouldn't even like my suggestion!).

How much less are you willing to see the team spend on the roster in order to go with a name like that? 

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,323 posts
http://www.historyli...campaign=buffer

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users