Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Segura Extended Through 2022

Segura Mariners Jean Segura contract extension contract extension

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,178 posts

Per MLB.com:

"Jean has all the tools to be a star-level player," Dipoto said. "He's been that the past year and a half and we're thrilled to make him part of our family for the next five, and possibly six, years."

I've got to admit I'm a little surprised -- more so given his two DL stints thus far.

[super delayed Edit]

Numbers are $70M over 5 years (2018-2022) with a $17M club option for 2023.

Edited by Dag Gummit, 21 June 2017 - 09:24 PM.

AAPs:

Herschel Mack Just call me 'Boog' Powell IV has just been promoted to The Show for the first time and is hoping to stick around for a couple dozen years or so.

Joe Snake Eyes Wieland has been a mid-K, super-low-BB, Groundball machine in the minors and has a ~90 mph FB.  With his potential for masterful zone control, he's looking like the textbook Dipoto-type SP.

Gone, but not forgotten AAPs:
Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Something horrible happened to Franklin and Elias.  Franklin was as sexy a blue-chipper as the M's have seen in a while, but it never materialized.  Elias was a bulldog with lots of Moxy, but fell off.  Miller, after looking like he'll never stick at SS or learn the OF, is forcing the Rays to play him somewhere because of his bat.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,323 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
His job, if he chooses to accept it, is to draw a throw and a hard slide says he's in this. Happy for him.
Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

DJ Peterson ~ batting .220 w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system
 Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts - 3rd in system w/ 71 R. (.352) BABIP, and 13 3B's
Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 10,433 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

He's a hit machine, I'm glad we extended him...

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 727 posts

Welcome aboard Jean!  Infield less 1st base is locked down going forward. Good stuff!

Slothcliff Hokum

Slothcliff Hokum

The Cat's Meow

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:Things, and stuff like that.

Very happy to see this!  Segura has been very impressive.  Just about every one of his at-bats is good, and he's been fine at shortstop.  Here's to seeing him stay free of injuries, and to a very productive five years!  

My Adopt-a-Players:
Dominic Leone
Kyle Hunter

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."  - Yogi Berra 

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,147 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!

Keeping free of injuries is the key.  His contract is not that bad, I might even say it is team friendly!  5 years (plus an option) $70 million for a guy who can in any year lead the league in hitting?  Nothing wrong with that!

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 13,041 posts

I like it a lot. Maybe signing him while on the DL saved the team some $$$.

Adopt-A-Players:

TBD.

Pitchin_Fool

Pitchin_Fool

Not just any fool...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 727 posts

ESPN is reporting that Jean Segura has been activated and will start tonight's game in the lead of spot. Good news!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Segura, Mariners, Jean Segura, contract, extension, contract extension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users