Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Adopt-A-Player Listing 2016

8th year!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,162 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!

I find myself fresh out of Adoptees. Jackson was traded to Atlanta during Dipoto's flurry of off-season moves and Snow, after years of dutiful service to the M's without even a Sept call-up to show for it, signed a minor league deal with Milwaukee.

Former AAPs are still kicking around as well. After a few years of kicking major butt in Korea, Thames has signed with Milwaukee and Morse is a ST piece of spaghetti for the Giants.

Amazing to think that it's been a dozen years of Adopt-a-Player selections, and though my guys have contributed very little to the M's, there's only been one total baseball flame-out.

Not trying to be a smart ass (I never have to try, it just comes naturally), which one is the total flame-out?

Forrest Snow - Signed a minor league deal with the Brewers in the off-season. Good luck Forrest!

Alex Jackson - Traded to Atlanta after underwhelming in three years of pro ball. 
Eric Thames - Brought back to MLB by the Brewers after hitting .347/.448/.714/1.162 in Korea the past few years.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Now sells cigars and offers baseball training/evaluation services.
Mike Morse - Now 35 and competing for a job with the SF Giants.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a national scout for the Cards.

Is it Mangini?  

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Moderators
  • 5,794 posts
Definitely Mangini.

Not everyone of my guys ended up having enough talent to have a successful MLB record, but most have still had a successful baseball career.
- Strong had a solid minor league career (with a couple cups of coffee) before moving on to an extended career in coaching and scouting at the MLB level.
- Morse obviously had a solid 12-year MLB career so far.
- Thames went overseas and was a star player, making millions in the process, now is being brought back to MLB.
- Snow was a AAA All-star, but wasn't given even a shot at a sept bullpen callup as punishment for testing positive for weed the year before. Smart choice to move to another org as soon as possible. He's still going so it's too soon to write him off yet.
- Jackson is the next candidate to be a full bust, but hasn't washed out yet. He could be the next Mangini.

- But Mangini. Oh, Mangini. Poor work ethic led to diminishing results. He got a cup of coffee, was given stuff to work on and... didn't. He either bailed on a minor league career or couldn't find an interested team. So he left pro-ball at a young age. He was an assistant high school baseball coach for a short time, but didn't last at that either. Last I saw, he was selling cigars.
Yeah, I'd call that a total washout.

Adopt-a-Players:

Evan White - 1B drafted out of Kentucky. Hit .277/.345/.532/.877 for the AquaSox in 2017

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):

Forrest Snow - Posted a 3.83 ERA between AA and AAA this season. His playing career is probably winding to a close.

Alex Jackson - Traded to Atlanta, moved back to catcher and hit .267/.328/.480/.808 between High-A and AA
Eric Thames - Hit .247/.359/.518/.877 for the Brewers and really needs a shave.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Now sells cigars.
Mike Morse - Back with the SF Giants but hasn't played since May due to injuries. Looks like time has caught up with him.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a national scout for the Cards.

Updated: Dec 2017

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Moderators
  • 5,794 posts

The MLB Draft is underway and I need to restock on Adopt-a-Players.

I'm requesting to adopt the M's 1st round pick: Evan White out of the University of Kentucky.

It's clear the kid has a good batter's eye and approach at the plate. He also doesn't have a ton of power, especially for a 1B. That should come in time. He still needs to grow in to his frame. I mean, he's 6'3" and only 177lbs! Get him on a strength program and he should develop acceptable power. We're talking Olerude-esque, not Sexson-esque/Cruz-esque here. He's never going to be a boomer, but he has the potential to develop into a nice corner.

Adopt-a-Players:

Evan White - 1B drafted out of Kentucky. Hit .277/.345/.532/.877 for the AquaSox in 2017

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):

Forrest Snow - Posted a 3.83 ERA between AA and AAA this season. His playing career is probably winding to a close.

Alex Jackson - Traded to Atlanta, moved back to catcher and hit .267/.328/.480/.808 between High-A and AA
Eric Thames - Hit .247/.359/.518/.877 for the Brewers and really needs a shave.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Now sells cigars.
Mike Morse - Back with the SF Giants but hasn't played since May due to injuries. Looks like time has caught up with him.

Updated: Dec 2017

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,162 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!

The MLB Draft is underway and I need to restock on Adopt-a-Players.

I'm requesting to adopt the M's 1st round pick: Evan White out of the University of Kentucky.

It's clear the kid has a good batter's eye and approach at the plate. He also doesn't have a ton of power, especially for a 1B. That should come in time. He still needs to grow in to his frame. I mean, he's 6'3" and only 177lbs! Get him on a strength program and he should develop acceptable power. We're talking Olerude-esque, not Sexson-esque/Cruz-esque here. He's never going to be a boomer, but he has the potential to develop into a nice corner.

Stuff him in your sig, he's yours!

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,208 posts

With the Rule 5 just finishing and after perusing the current listings, I would like to update my Adopt-a-Players.

First, somehow Kyle Lewis, the M's top prospect, hasn't been adopted.  This, I fear, must be why he got so tragically injured recently.  I will take him in and cheer his recovery on.

Second, I'm wanting to nab the Mariners latest 1B/ DH spaghetti noodle, Mike Ford!

Third, because they are no longer in the M's organization, I must drop Herschel Mack 'Boog' Powell IV (A's) and Joe Wieland (unknown -- not US pro).  Here's my updated list:

Dag Gummit - Kyle Lewis and Mike Ford

AAPs:

Kyle Lewis

The M's 2016 first round pick and the 11th Overall is the system's top prospect and has several accolades to his name.  Even though he is currently out of commission recovering from injury, he still has a whole bunch of potential.

Mike Ford

This Rule 5-acquired first baseman just might be the M's best player at the position.  I'm betting on it!  He's never walked less than he's K'd and he just flashed some serious power in his first taste of AAA.  He just needed a position and there happens to be one available in the Emerald City.

Gone, but not forgotten AAPs:
Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Joe Wieland

'Boog' Powell

So long, fellas.  I hope that all of you do well in your future endeavors.  Perhaps you can tap into the potential seen in the M's system and have success elsewhere in the baseball world.  Just... not against the M's, OK?

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,426 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
I'll take Wyatt Mills. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/XfR9iY5y94s

http://m.milb.com/player/670090

Edited by Señor Octobre, 15 December 2017 - 04:01 AM.

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

Tom Wilhelmsen ~ Zona or Brew Crew ?
Mike Zunino ~ w/ the big club
DJ Peterson ~ w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system 

Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts -  68 games at Modesto in 2017: 257 ab, 41 r, 66 h, 11 2b, 5 3b, 8 hr.
Wyatt Mills ~ Everett & Clinton in 2017. 58/4 K/BB (2 IBB) Senior year w/ Zags
https://cdn.vox-cdn....Gonzaga_1.0.jpg  

http://m.milb.com/player/670090

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users