Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

WBC 2013

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,752 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.
The World Baseball Classic is already on its way, with many games already played.

I guess the first surprise is Netherlands advancing to the next round instead of favorite Korea. Amazing.

México starts off thursday against Italy, which should be a walk in the park, but then on Friday it's México - USA, with Yovani Gallardo taking the mound for us.
2013 Mariners MVP (Last Update: July 31)
Batting WPA
Pitching WPA
ERACI Analysis

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,279 posts
It was a short tournament for Hyphen. Now he heads back to Florida to join the Red Sox minor leaguers.

Good luck, Ryan. I hope you make it back to the show!
Adopt-a-Players:
Forrest Snow - Suspended for the first 50 games of the season. (Come on, Forrest. Just because it's legal in Washington...)
No invite to Spring Training. Not assigned to any team. Contract still owned by the M's, but effectively out of baseball for now.
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP
2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - took his MLB .250/.296/.431/.727 and MiLB .305/.383/.508/.892 statlines and went to play in Korea.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball.
Mike Morse - Now playing for the Giants.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 04/02/2014

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 10,720 posts
Japan and Cuba have advanced to the second round, but they have one more game to play, against each other for the top seed in Pool A. Chinese Taipei, Netherlands, and Korea all tied with 2 - 1 records in their group, but the final TQB standings are:
Chinese Taipei......+2.62
Netherlands.........+1.20
Korea.................+0.69

Chinese Taipei advances as the #1 seed and will play the loser of the Japan - Cuba game next.
The Kingdom of the Netherlands advances and will play the winner of the Japan - Cuba game next.
Korea and Australia fail to advance. In 2017 Australia will have to win a play-in tournament to re-qualify for the WBC.

In Pool A China beat Brazil, so Brazil will have to re-qualify in 2017 despite doing very well in their first WBC. Their TQB (-2.86) was higher than either China (-4.81) and Australia (-4.37), but the loss to China put them in the #4 spot in their pool.

TQB is the primary tie-breaker use in the WBC in case of A W-L Pct. in Round 1. Round 1 is the only round-robin format tournament. All others are elimination (either modified double or single) type tournaments. TQB equals runs scored divided by offensive innings played minus runs allowed divided by defensive innings played.
In simpler format: TQB = RS/OIP - RA/DIP.

Edited by Vidya, 05 March 2013 - 04:40 PM.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 10,720 posts
Japan and Cuba have advanced to the second round, but they have one more game to play, against each other for the top seed in Pool A. Chinese Taipei, Netherlands, and Korea all tied with 2 - 1 records in their pool, but the final TQB standings are:
Chinese Taipei......+2.62
Netherlands.........+1.20
Korea.................+0.69

Chinese Taipei advances as the #1 seed and will play the loser of the Japan - Cuba game next.
The Kingdom of the Netherlands advances as the #2 seed and will play the winner of the Japan - Cuba game next.
Korea and Australia fail to advance. In 2017 Australia will have to win a play-in tournament to re-qualify for the WBC.

In Pool A China beat Brazil, so Brazil will have to re-qualify in 2017 despite doing very well in their first WBC. Their TQB (-2.86) was higher than both China (-4.81) and Australia (-4.37), but the loss to China put them in the #4 spot in their pool due to a lower W-L Pct.

TQB is the primary tie-breaker used in the WBC in case of a W-L Pct. tie in Round 1. Round 1 is the only round-robin format tournament. All others are elimination (either modified double or single) type tournaments. TQB equals runs scored divided by offensive innings played minus runs allowed divided by defensive innings played.
In simpler format: TQB = RS/OIP - RA/DIP.

Edited by Vidya, 05 March 2013 - 04:44 PM.

My 2014 AAP's:

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 7,906 posts
Some exhibition scores:
MLB Scoreboard

Can vs Milwaukee
Saunders with a solo homer. No one can stop the M's from homering!

Italy vs Oakland
Liddi goes 0fer 3.

Dominican's vs Phillies
Game O the Day! You would thing the 16 runs on 28 hits would be vs scrubs. Cole Hamels goes 2.2 IP giving up 8 runs on 12 hits. He did K 3!

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 695 posts

Chinese Taipei advances as the #1 seed and will play the loser of the Japan - Cuba game next.<br style="color: rgb(0, 0, 51); font-family: tahoma, arial, verdana, sans-serif; line-height: 18px;">The Kingdom of the Netherlands advances and will play the loser of the Japan - Cuba game next.

Looks like you got a slight typo here, Vidya. Who will play the loser and winner of Japan vs. Cuba, respectively?
AAP Time:
Nick Franklin & Brad Miller - I'm calling it. By the time they retire, this graduated duo will break the MLB record for the most Double Plays turned as a team. That's what coming up together and being awesome together for your entire careers on the same team will do for ya.

Roenis Elias - LH SP that has thus passed his first "rough-road ahead" sniff test -- get AA hitters out with meh stuff. He isn't electric, but he's certainly interesting enough to keep an eye on and follow because he's only gotten better results while climbing the ladder.

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 10,720 posts

Looks like you got a slight typo here, Vidya. Who will play the loser and winner of Japan vs. Cuba, respectively?

Good catch! :cpoint:

I did catch the error and tried to correct it, but obviously was unsuccessful.

My 2014 AAP's:

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,752 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.
México playing Italy right now. The game is tied at 4 in the top of the 4th.

Marco, would you take a bet on this one?
Batting WPA
Pitching WPA
ERACI Analysis

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,752 posts
I guess Marco is busy watching the game, instead of surfing MC. Anyway, it's 5-4 México ahead in the top of the 7th.
Batting WPA
Pitching WPA
ERACI Analysis

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,752 posts
After 7 and a half, we are still leading 5-4. I'm concerned about run differential, but that will get fixed once we beat the USA tomorrow. :ducks for cover:
Batting WPA
Pitching WPA
ERACI Analysis

MikeB20634

MikeB20634
  • Members
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, Traveling, Computers
You're boy Gonzalez dropping that catch.

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,752 posts

You're boy Gonzalez dropping that catch.

Yeah, stupid decision to make him play the Outfield!
Batting WPA
Pitching WPA
ERACI Analysis

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,279 posts
Italy is making it interesting.
Adopt-a-Players:
Forrest Snow - Suspended for the first 50 games of the season. (Come on, Forrest. Just because it's legal in Washington...)
No invite to Spring Training. Not assigned to any team. Contract still owned by the M's, but effectively out of baseball for now.

Eric Thames - took his MLB .250/.296/.431/.727 and MiLB .305/.383/.508/.892 statlines and went to play in Korea.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,752 posts
We lost!! What a game! Tomorrow's game against USA is a win or die game!

:furious: :smileygaah:
Batting WPA
Pitching WPA
ERACI Analysis

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,279 posts
Way to go, Italy! Liddi goes 2 for 3 with one walk. No homers today, though.
Adopt-a-Players:

Marco

Marco
  • Members
  • 855 posts
  • Interests:Vintage bicycles

I guess Marco is busy watching the game, instead of surfing MC. Anyway, it's 5-4 México ahead in the top of the 7th.

I was just following it by gameday. Well, it might have been a beautiful game but that's not an Italian team by any means thus I'm not excited at all. Just happy for Alex Liddi who's a lone rider among American born and raised players with an Italian second name. Are these Sports of the future ? Ok, I do not like it.

Edited by Marco, 07 March 2013 - 04:05 PM.

Posted Image

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,752 posts

I was just following it by gameday. Well, it might have been a beautiful game but that's not an Italian team by any means thus I'm not excited at all. Just happy for Alex Liddi who's a lone rider among American born and raised players.

Well, congratulations anyway Marco. Italy beat Mexico today, no ifs or buts.
Batting WPA
Pitching WPA
ERACI Analysis

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 10,720 posts
Italy is playing well, but Mexico leads 5 to 4. Italy would do well to not finish 4th in Pool D. Team USA should win the pool, but I wouldn't guarantee it. Mexico and Canada should be close, and battle for the second seed, and that leaves Italy at the bottom. I'm betting that it will be the USA and Canada. Canada and Taipei under performed in 2009, and had to win a qualifying tournament just to get here. Taipei did very well in their pool, and I expect Canada to do well also. Manager Torre and Team USA seem more focused and motivated this time around. They seem to be in it to win it, and I believe they will do well.

Yesterday, Cuba beat Japan for the #1 spot in Pool A. Cuba has been an under performer in the WBC also, so they also seem very focused on winning. Japan may have trouble qualifying for the semifinals, but I expect they'll get there. The Mariners have Oliver Perez playing for Mexico, Michael Saunders for Canada, and Alex Liddi for Italy.

Pool D in San Juan, Puerto Rico may be the best Round 1 pool. Today Venezuela play the Dominican Republic, and the stadium is packed. OK, less packed now that it's raining, but most games not involving host teams are generally sparsely attended. The Dominicans are now leading 3 to 0 in the bottom of the first, and the game is now in rain delay. I expect the rain will not last long, so it does not look good for Venezuela. Also in this pool are Spain and host Puerto Rico. I expect all these games will be well attended.

My 2014 AAP's:

Marco

Marco
  • Members
  • 855 posts
  • Interests:Vintage bicycles

Well, congratulations anyway Marco. Italy beat Mexico today, no ifs or buts.

Thanks for your sportmanship but the point is that today a team just rented the Italian flag to win a game. IMO that's no good for anybody (except for some baseball executives without scruples of course)

Edited by Marco, 07 March 2013 - 04:14 PM.

Posted Image

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,279 posts
OK, we'll change the headline for you.

"Players of Vaguely Italian Descent Beat Mexico"

:thumbsup:
Adopt-a-Players:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users