Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Can Ichiro reach 3000 hits ?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Can Ichiro reach 3000 hits ? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

can ichiro reach 3000 hits ?

1. yes (4 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. no (7 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Members
  • 10,359 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
Ichiro is 39 and will be 40 in October. he has a two year deal that runs thru 2014. The way he was going with the M's last year, it seemed it would not happen but after his trade to the Bombers, Ichiro found some new energy. He hit five HR's for the Yankees and stole 14 bases. Granted, his HR's, with them all came at Yankee Stadium. Some people, myself incuded, thought that Ichiro was dogging it, while with the M's and we cite his OPS with the Yankees as proof. Ichiro sits at 2,606, which is 197 hits in each of the next two years to reach 3000. Tough to do in two years but what if the fountain of youth appears and he plays in 2015 ?
Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

DJ Peterson ~ w/ the AAA Charlotte Knights of the CHI AL system

Luis Liberato ~ Modesto Nuts -

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 13,043 posts
He's currently producing at about the same level he was for the Mariners last year. If he remains at the current 2013 pace he could do it in three years. His biggest problem is going to be getting enough AB's. I doubt the Yankees will keep him in the line-up much past this year unless he improves like he did last year. In 2011 and 2012 he averaged about 180 hits a year, but he played in every game, and he's not doing that this year.

Edited by Vidya, 30 May 2013 - 02:41 PM.

Adopt-A-Players:

TBD.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,148 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!
My first reaction was "who cares?", but just because I don't doesn't mean others don't.

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Bandwagon Fan

Bandwagon Fan
  • Members
  • 327 posts
Ichiro should announce his retirement during the upcoming Yankees-Mariners series, at the All-Star break or shortly after this season is over. He is not capable of making a serious run at 3,000--even at a much reduced salary--and I think all of MLB realizes or will soon realize that.

Retirement after this year would put him in the Hall of Fame class with Mariano Rivera, not a bad thing at all. :)

muddyfrogwater

muddyfrogwater
  • Members
  • 1,407 posts
No I don't think he will this season. I do however think that Raul will reach 2000 hits and 300 homers this season. He is sitting on 1946 & 292 respectively. Dude still has his eyes and motor skills intact. He isn't just sitting dead red and getting lucky. Surprisingly, he can still attack the strike zone with a quick bat.

I'm not here to judge. I'm just pointing out all of the mistakes you're making.

Bandwagon Fan

Bandwagon Fan
  • Members
  • 327 posts
In case you are interested ...

Ichiro’s current overall performance level is low (currently .301 wOBA / 1.3 fWAR / 90 OPS+) and I continue to support his retirement at the end of the 2013 season, but that’s not to say that he has stopped adding to his highlight reel since leaving the Seattle Mariners. For those fans who are interested, here is my personal list:

1. Monday, July 23, 2012. At his request, Ichiro is traded to the Yankees. A move that will forever help define who he is, it provided strong counterevidence to some negative views of Ichiro; namely that he:

a. was only about 3,000 hits;
b. did not care about winning;
c. would not leave the protection afforded by his special relationship with Hiroshi Yamauchi;
d. was willing to sacrifice the long-term interests of the Mariners in favor of his individual goals; and
e. would not be able to subordinate his ego and accept not being in the lineup every day or not hitting at the top of the batting order.

2. Tuesday, July 24. Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie releases “Ichiro’s Theme”.

3. September 2012. Outstanding month of September down the stretch in pennant race vs. Baltimore Orioles (.385 / .400 / .516 / .916) in contrast to the late season pennant race busts of 2002 and 2003.

4. Monday, October 8. Ninja move to avoid Matt Wieters’s tags at home plate vs. Baltimore in first inning of Game 2 of ALDS.

5. Friday, October 12. Double driving in a run to give Yankees 2-0 lead in bottom of the 6th inning Game 5 of ALDS vs. Baltimore Orioles, one of the most important hits of his MLB career.

6. Saturday, October 13. As part of Yankees’ dramatic 9th-inning comeback, hits first post-season home run of career on 94 mph fastball off Jose Valverde vs. Detroit Tigers in Game 1 of ALCS.

7. Sunday, June 9, 2013. After a couple of grandstanding leaps over the wall in right field foul territory on balls clearly out of play, commits an error by dropping a foul pop up near right field in otherwise uneventful first return to Seattle in 2013.

8. Saturday, June 15, 2013. Despite a Yankees loss, one of the best all around games of his career vs. California Angels: 2 stolen bases (would have been 3 if not for blown umpire’s call), double, bunt single, two sliding catches in right field, and two good outfield throws holding baserunners.

9. Tuesday, June 25. Second walkoff home run of career on 97 mph fastball off Tanner Scheppers of Texas Rangers.

And although I do not think it is a legitimate accomplishment because NPB is clearly not at major league level, there is also the fact that Ichiro will reach the 4,000 hit plateau sometime in August/September of this season.

Thanks for listening.

BWF

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,359 posts
Ichiro is at 2841 with a few games left in 2014, and his contract coming to an end. Given his numbers in 2013 & 2014, if he plays in 2015 he will not reach 3000 unless he visits the stash of Barry Bonds. Will he sign with a second division club as a draw ?

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 13,043 posts

The Yankees qualify as a second division team. I expect he'll re-sign with them.

Edited by Vidya, 25 September 2014 - 08:22 AM.

Adopt-A-Players:

TBD.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,359 posts

The Yankees qualify as a second division team. I expect he'll re-sign with them.

lol. Two year contract ?

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Members
  • 11,054 posts

Ichiro is at 2841 with a few games left in 2014, and his contract coming to an end. Given his numbers in 2013 & 2014, if he plays in 2015 he will not reach 3000 unless he visits the stash of Barry Bonds. Will he sign with a second division club as a draw ?

Suzuki doesn't need 3,000 hits to get into the HOF. Playing more just reduces his career numbers (BA, OBP, OPS). I believe it's time for Suzuki to go home. Then again, who else do the Yankees have to play OF? Beltran is signed for one more year and he's pretty much a DH now, until A-Rod comes back. :D Ellsbury has a bit of injury issues. With about 100 hits this year it's going to take 2 more full years. Hmmm. Can the Yankees afford that? Perhaps as a 4th OFer he takes the full 2 years to get the remaining 159 hits. That's only 80 hits a year. Will Suzuki sign for $3 mill a year with a big bonus for his 3,000th hit in a Yankee uni?

Adoptee:
Chase DeJong SP Tacoma

Bandwagon Fan

Bandwagon Fan
  • Members
  • 327 posts

I agree with DocMilo that Ichiro is hurting his career rate stats in pursuit of a meaningless counting stat.  Just wrong and dumb.

As for the Yankees, it is highly unlikely they they will re-sign him, although he seems fairly popular with the Yankees fan base.  The team has to be looking to the future now that the Core Four has been retired.  Similarly I cannot think of any other MLB team that would be interested in signing Ichiro to aid him in the quest for 3000.  I would put the chances of his getting signed by an MLB team before the start of the 2015 season at less than 50%.

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 1,180 posts

I'd bet there are teams willing to take him in for a 1 or 2-year deal just so they can get some kind of notoriety value in him.  The Pirates and Royals are now historical examples of doing that, but there will be teams out there with holes in the OF that could all-but guarantee him 300-400 PA knowing there's a random chance he could have a lucky year and be valuable enough for them to flip for an interesting prospect.  Those 90th and 95th percentiles for season performance are enough for a bottom-feeding team to bite.

I'd say that, if he's willing, he's liable to earn at least a $5-7M/yr contract for one or two years.  Heck, if he does that for one year and gets himself within 75 hits, there may be legit interest in the Mariners to bring him back for his final season in 2016.  This org and its fans love themselves some nostalgia, after all.

AAPs:

Herschel Mack Just call me 'Boog' Powell IV has just been promoted to The Show for the first time and is hoping to stick around for a couple dozen years or so.

Joe Snake Eyes Wieland has been a mid-K, super-low-BB, Groundball machine in the minors and has a ~90 mph FB.  With his potential for masterful zone control, he's looking like the textbook Dipoto-type SP.

Gone, but not forgotten AAPs:
Nick Franklin

Brad Miller

Roenis Elias

Something horrible happened to Franklin and Elias.  Franklin was as sexy a blue-chipper as the M's have seen in a while, but it never materialized.  Elias was a bulldog with lots of Moxy, but fell off.  Miller, after looking like he'll never stick at SS or learn the OF, is forcing the Rays to play him somewhere because of his bat.

Slothcliff Hokum

Slothcliff Hokum

The Cat's Meow

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • Interests:Things, and stuff like that.

2,844 down, 156 to go. 

If he plays two more seasons as a part-timer and get 300-400 at-bats, I think he can do it.  He is always in good physical condition, so his body would probably handle it just fine, although reflexes and eyesight can definitely start to go around age 40.  I think his fielding would be fine, but his hitting won't be stellar... it hasn't been for some time now, and as Doc has pointed out, it damages his career total numbers the longer he plays.

Like Dag Gummit suggests, if Ichiro can get enough hits next year that he's just a few hits shy of the mark, it could actually be pretty cool to get him back in Seattle for getting his 3,000th.  Indeed, fans would love it, and as long as playing him once in a while wouldn't hold the team back from contending for a title, fine. 

I'll cheer for him to come up with 155 hits wherever he plays in 2015, and then for him to come back to Seattle for the opening homestand of 2016 to get the last hit he needs.  biggrin.png  I'd hate to see him hanging on for a whole season after that, though...  at some point it will get to be like watching Willie Mays when he was playing for the Mets.  No future Hall-Of-Famer should want to bring that kind of thing on himself, and I hope he doesn't let it go that far.     

My Adopt-a-Players:
Dominic Leone
Kyle Hunter

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."  - Yogi Berra 

6-pak-abs

6-pak-abs

Son of Ninkasi!

• Grand Slam Boosters
  • 1,730 posts
  • Interests:Mariners, Huskies, Seahawks, Homebrewing

Watching Willie Mays with the Mets was indeed very sad.

Adopt a players: Justin Seager- Travelled to Hillsboro to watch Everett a couple of years back.  Justin had an E3 and a Golden Sombrero so I figured he needs some love.

LHP Tyler Olson out of my wife's alma mater Gonzaga University.  Up with the big club already!  And now back down to Tacoma.

IWantZduriencik'sJob

IWantZduriencik'sJob

Will GM your team for food...

• Members
  • 956 posts
  • Interests:Snow. Hiking. Fresh air and a good book.

I agree with DocMilo that Ichiro is hurting his career rate stats in pursuit of a meaningless counting stat.  Just wrong and dumb.

In New York, I heard Ichiro on the radio talk about whether sticking around would hurt his legacy.

Ichiro did not seem to care about hurting his reputation. He is not after meaningless stats.

He loves the game. He can't imagine life without the game.

He loves the locker room. He loves the mental preparation.

He loves to stay in shape. He loves baseball strategy.

He stated that he might play another four years like Jason Giambi pinch hitting and getting into games late for an at bat.

Yogi--
1. I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.
2. It ain't the heat, it's the humility.

Outfieldgrass

Outfieldgrass

Nom De Guerre Flipper

• Members
  • 738 posts
  • Interests:Baseball. Science. Astronomy. Coffee. Gaming. Hanging out with my dog, Calvin. Yes, he is named after Calvin & Hobbes.

I miss the early days of Ichiro. We were truly lucky to watch such a spectacular player. I can still imagine that throw from deep RF to get Terrence Long at 3B. One of my all time great baseball memories. 

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Members
  • 10,359 posts

Suzuki doesn't need 3,000 hits to get into the HOF. Playing more just reduces his career numbers (BA, OBP, OPS). I believe it's time for Suzuki to go home. Then again, who else do the Yankees have to play OF? Beltran is signed for one more year and he's pretty much a DH now, until A-Rod comes back. :D Ellsbury has a bit of injury issues. With about 100 hits this year it's going to take 2 more full years. Hmmm. Can the Yankees afford that? Perhaps as a 4th OFer he takes the full 2 years to get the remaining 159 hits. That's only 80 hits a year. Will Suzuki sign for $3 mill a year with a big bonus for his 3,000th hit in a Yankee uni?

he doesn't need 3000 for hof but he wants it so bad. He signed w/ Miami. For the.money ?

Victor Sanchez ~ RIP
Greg Halman ~ RIP  

MarinersMoose

MarinersMoose

Alces Marinus

• Members
  • 579 posts

he doesn't need 3000 for hof but he wants it so bad. He signed w/ Miami. For the.money ?

For love of playing the game, from what I can tell from the interviews with him.

My Adopt-A-Players:

Mayckol Guaipe - RHP, Tacoma Raniers Seattle Mariners claimed by Chicago White Sox Mexican League

Former Adopt-A-Player:

Ketel Marte - Traded to the Diamondbacks, along with another player, for Jean Segura, Mitch Haniger, and Zac Curtis

MarinersMoose

MarinersMoose

Alces Marinus

• Members
  • 579 posts

He just passed Babe Ruth on the all time hits list.  Only 125 more to get to 3k.  Probably not this year, but if he plays one more year he should get there!

My Adopt-A-Players:

Mayckol Guaipe - RHP, Tacoma Raniers Seattle Mariners claimed by Chicago White Sox Mexican League

Former Adopt-A-Player:

Ketel Marte - Traded to the Diamondbacks, along with another player, for Jean Segura, Mitch Haniger, and Zac Curtis

anunderwaterguy

anunderwaterguy
  • Members
  • 497 posts

He's doing about as well as can be expected this year. He's still a below average bat, but not horrifically so and he's certainly not embarrassing himself. At this rate I definitely think he can stick around another season and reach 3,000. He could even hit .300 this year with a bit of luck.

The Seattle Mariners: "As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods; they kill us for their sport."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users