Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Right Pitch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,832 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?
[State the obvious]With the trade of Jason Vargas the Mariners could very easily be in the market for a starting pitcher.[/state the obvious] The Mariners have several options that they could and probably will explore in the up coming weeks. They could:
A - Sign a top tier free agent
B - Sign a bottom rung free agent
C - Trade for an MLB approved starting pitcher
D - Promote from within

Let's take a look at the first option in this initial installment of what may be a four-part article ala Jumanji at SSI. Starting at the top, we have:

Zack Grienke - Signed with the Dodgers
Anibal Sanchez - Signed with the Tigers
Hiroki Kuroda - Signed with the Yankers
Dan Haren - Signed with the Nationals
Edwin Jackson - Signed with the Fuzzy Cubbies
Brandon McCarthy - Signed with the Diamondbacks
Scott Baker - Signed with the Fuzzy Cubbies
Andy Pettitte - Signed with the Red Sox... Psych!
Ryan Dempster - Signed with the Red Sox

Ok, so much for the "cream of the crop" of starting pitchers. Let's look at what is left:

Kyle Lohse...
Word on the street is that Kyle Lohse is the pitcher most likely to be overpaid during this off season. What that means is that there will be several teams vying to get Lohse under contract and the numbers may approach "stupid" status. I really, REALLY think that the M's should stay away from Lohse.

Shaun Marcum...
Two things became attached to Marcum during the 2012 season: "shoulder soreness" and "elbow tightness". There is no need for the M's to go after Marcum just to see him sit on the DL.

Carlos Villanueva...
A decent starting pitcher with a borderline terminal case of homeritis in 2012. Villanueva could be a cheap stop-gap that could help pave the way for the wunderkinds in 2013 or even 2014. Villanueva is just 29, so he could have several more years of mediocrity ahead of him (hows that for a selling point?)! Villanueva has 7 years of MLB experience in which he has worked as both a starter and as a reliever. Hell, he even has 6 saves to his name! In 2012 Villanueva was paid approximately $2.28M, and after the season he just came away from he could be had for what I believe is something around $3.5M. Of course, the longer he hangs out as an FA the lower that price is going to get.

Francisco Liriano...
I really hope that the M's stay far, FAR away from Liriano. I am afraid that they may view him as a viable reclamation project and they carry his worthless ass for a few months while he proves that he is a mental midget. Sorry, I meant "mental small-person"...

Liriano, if he too hangs out as an FA for very long may be interesting to sign to a minor league deal with an NRI to help add some fluff to the Tacoma roster.

Carl Pavano...
Now we are talking... maybe. Last season Carl Pavano performed at a level that I am sure that he wants to forget. His poor performance was blamed on a bruised bone (don't know which one or severity), and if that is so, and everything is healed up correctly, then someone could get him at a cost that is below what he will perform at in 2013. I'd keep a close eye on Mr. Pavano.

Brett Myers...
Myers' performance in 2012 precipitated a move to the bullpen. 'Nuff said.

Carlos Zambrano...
This young team does not need a pitching version of Milton Bradley. Pass.

Chris Young...
Flyball pitcher that can be had for cheap. He could be a good candidate for a minor league deal and an NRI.

Roy Oswalt...
From what I have learned of late, Oswalt is something of a prima donna, and I don't think there is any need for such a character on the M's.

Freddy Garcia...
Yes! Freddy could be an excellent bridge to the young guns in 2013. He'll come cheap, will be nominally effective, and would be something of a feel good story for those fans who pay attention but still don't know what is really going on...

Kevin Millwood...
Yes! I would definately bring back big Kevin if he is open to the idea of being a bridge that may only be for half a season or so. Heck, he might even be had for a minor league deal and an NRI. Definately worth looking in to.

Derek Lowe...
Lowe was horrible against lefties as a starter and was moved to mop up duty in the bullpen with the Yankees. Pass.

Dallas Braden...
Not even close to the pitcher that he once was, Braden will be lucky to get a MiLB deal with a spring training invite.

Jeff Francis...
Rates just north of a pitching machine for batting practice, and just barely that. There is much better value to be had than Frances the Mule.

Kevin Slowey...
Think of Doogie Fister with neither command nor control, and a bad case of homeritis. Pass.

Aaron Cook...
...... Naaaaaaaaa!

Jonathan Sanchez...
I find it hard to believe that it was the same guy who threw no hitter back in 2009 that gave up 7 runs on 12 hits, including 2 homeruns, to the Mariners just last July. From talking to some folks, Sanchez will drive people crazy with his potential, and fall waaaaaaaay short of realizing it on the field. Pass.

-----------------------------------------------------------

FA Summary

Looking at the group of FA starting pitchers who are still available, I see four guys who I wouldn't mind seeing come to camp in February to act as a bridge to the future. I would really like to see any one or more of:
- Carl Pavano
- Carlos Villanueva
- Freddy Garcia
- Kevin Millwood

xarmyguy78

xarmyguy78
  • Members
  • 660 posts

Carlos Villanueva...
A decent starting pitcher with a borderline terminal case of homeritis in 2012. Villanueva could be a cheap stop-gap that could help pave the way for the wunderkinds in 2013 or even 2014. Villanueva is just 29, so he could have several more years of mediocrity ahead of him (hows that for a selling point?)! Villanueva has 7 years of MLB experience in which he has worked as both a starter and as a reliever. Hell, he even has 6 saves to his name! In 2012 Villanueva was paid approximately $2.28M, and after the season he just came away from he could be had for what I believe is something around $3.5M. Of course, the longer he hangs out as an FA the lower that price is going to get.

This guy signed with the Cubs today
http://www.mlbtrader...villanueva.html

M's Watcher

M's Watcher

I've got my eyes on you...

• Members
  • 2,650 posts
Move the Bartender to the rotation, and close with Pryor and Capps?

M's Watcher

M's Watcher

• Members
  • 2,650 posts
Joe Saunders is still out there, and is only 31.

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,724 posts
My favorite FA starting pitcher is David Pauley.
I'm expecting Zduriencik to sign one or more to a one year deal or an NRI. That kind of leaves us in Plan B mode. He does have a lot of good relief pitchers. He could trade one for a starting pitcher.

I'm still going with getting another outfielder as priority one. Here is the list of remaining FA outfielders.

EDIT: OK, that didn't work. Use the link to go to the MLB.com FA Tracker. Then change "All Roster Moves" to "unsigned Free Agents." Then change "All Positions" to "Starting Pitchers" or "Outfielders."

Edited by Vidya, 21 December 2012 - 03:07 PM.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

Logan Kensing, Rainiers bullpen.

Jesus Montero, trimmed down and ready to go.

Sorry, Ji-Man, but really? Maybe when you get off the restricted list, Montero will have been promoted. 

Carson is doing a fine job, but Logan has been dominant and deserves recognition.

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Members
  • 9,030 posts
M's signed Jeremy Bonderman to minor league deal.

Edited by DocMilo, 21 December 2012 - 03:29 PM.

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,724 posts

M's signed Jeremy Bonderman to minor league deal.

Our first NRI! OK, it takes a lot less to get me excited. One of the first signs that the world hasn't ended, and ST is not far off is the Mariners posting their NRI list. So far that hasn't happened, but I'm very optimistic. Check in tomorrow to see if the world ended.

:thumbsup:

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

Logan Kensing, Rainiers bullpen.

Jesus Montero, trimmed down and ready to go.

Sorry, Ji-Man, but really? Maybe when you get off the restricted list, Montero will have been promoted. 

Carson is doing a fine job, but Logan has been dominant and deserves recognition.

M's Watcher

M's Watcher

• Members
  • 2,650 posts
M's talking with Saunders

I think he'd look good in our rotation, but I bet he ends up back with the Oreos. He's a Virginia/greater DC guy, played at VA Tech, so Balmer is a good location for him. Still, we could use him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users