Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

05/30: Mariner's Minor League Report

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,845 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?
Hey, look at me posting up two minor league recaps on time in a row! Woooot!

Tacoma took a diuretic and had the crap smacked out of them by Reno. Jackson starter Taylor Stanton got bludgeoned early and often for a loss. High Desert... Clinton came out on the short side of a slugfest. The kiddies down in the VSL also got into a slugfest, and also fell.

It just wasn't a good night in the Mariners minor league system. Kind of...

Tacoma: 23-30
Jackson: 31-22
High Desert: 28-25
Clinton: 18-34
VSL Mariners: 10-5

System: 110-116

Pitcher of the Day: Tie - Mauricio Robles and Brian Moran
Player of the Day: Jamal Austin

Song of the Day:
Getting swept has given me the blues again, but I'm going to fight the temptation and try something that more reflects my mood from the M's game.

Cheap Trick - "Gonna Raise Hell"

http://www.windingpathdesign.com/tmp/2012/hell.mp3

Let's do dis!

===================================================

TACOMA RAINIERS 5, RENO ACES 13

Do I really have to do this? I mean, it's pretty obvious from looking at the score that the pitchers for the Rainiers put up some massive steaming piles in this game. Ya, ok, but this is going to be briefer than brief.

Anthony Vasquez started for the Rainiers and ... :sick:
Sean Henn relieved Vasquez in the fifth and ... :sick:
Chance Ruffin took over in the seventh and ... :sick:

The Rainier offense collected 10 hits and 3 walks to score their 5 runs. They were shit for shinola with runners in scoring position and stranded India.

CF Trayvon Robinson in the leadoff spot went 3/5 with a double, a run scored, and 2 ribbies.

2B Luis Rodriguez in the two-hole went 1/5 with a double and a ribbie.

RF Casper Wells in the three-hole went 1/3 with a double, a run scored, a ribbie, and 2 walks.

LF Carlos Peguero in the four-hole went 1/4 with a ribbie and a walk.

3B Vinnie Catricala in the six-hole went 2/4 with a double and a run scored.

DH Mike Wilson in the seven-hole went 1/4 wtih a run scored.

The Rainier defense committed no errors and turned 2 double plays. C Ralph Henriquez was 0/1 in gunning down base stealers.

--------------------------------

JACKSON GENERALS 3, PENSACOLA BLUE WAHOOS 7

Taylor Stanton made his 2012 AA debut last night with two and two-thirds innings of purely horrific baseball. Stanton gave up 7 runs (6 earned, but who gives a shit?) on 9 hits, walked 2, and struckout 1 for the loss.

Mauricio Robles, who knows a thing or two about steaming piles actually pitched well in relief last night. Robles worked three and a third strong innings giving up nothing on nothing, walked 2, and struckout 5. Robles DID plunk a Blue Wahoo, but that information is classified as "Need to Know" only.

Brian Moran took over in the seventh and threw three innings of high-quality relief baseball. Moran gave up nothing on 1 hit, walked 2, and struckout 3.

The General offense collected 7 hits, 1 walk, and a Chris Pettit plunking to score their 3 runs. They were 2 for 8 with runners in scoring position and stranded 5.

SS Nick Franklin in the two-hole went 2/4 with a double.

LF Kalian Sams in the four-hole went 1/3 with a double, 2 runs scored, and a walk.

RF Chih-Hsien Chiang in the five-hole went 2/4 with a triple, a run scored, and a ribbie.

CF Chris Pettit (Really?) in the six-hole went 1/3 with a double, a ribbie, and sore ribs.

The General defense committed 1 error:
- Francisco Martinez, 6th, fielding

Catcher Andrew Giobbi allowed his 1st passed ball and was 0 for 2 in throwing out base stealers.

HIGH DESERT MAVERICKS 1, MODESTO'S NUTS 9

I hate outtings like this. Anthony Fernandez started for the Mavericks last night and didn't pitch bad. He also didn't pitch good, but by the Cal League sliding scale of suckatude, his outting was... acceptable? Fernandez worked six innings giving up 4 runs on 7 hits, walked 2, struckout 6, and plunked a Nut for the loss.

Austin Hudson pitched the remaining two frames giving up 5 runs (2 earned) on 4 hits (HR), walked no one, struckout no one, and plunked a Nut.

The Maverick offense was less than prolific as they went up against one of the best pitchers in the Cal League (Tyler Matzek). Collecting just 3 hits and 1 walk, it's borderline amazing that there weren't shutout. They were 1 for 4 with runners in scoring position and stranded 3.

SS Brad Miller in the leadoff spot went 1/3 with a double, a run scored, and a walk,

LF Jack Marder in the two-hole went 1/4 with a ribbie.

The Maverick defense committed 2 errors:
- Mario Martinez, 11th, fielding
- Brad Miller, 19th, throw

Catcher Carlton Tanabe threw out the only would be base stealer in the game.

CLINTON KIBBLEKINGS 10, KANE COUNTY COUNTERS 13 ()

Much like in the Rainier recap, I don't want to spend much time hashing out what the pitchers for the KibbleKings did.
- Jeremy Dobbs made his Midwest League debut and ... :sick:
- David Colvin also made his Midwest League debut and ... :sick:
- Richard Vargas made HIS Midwest League debut and ... :thumbsup:
- Kyler Hunter closed out the game and ... :sick:

The KibbleKing offense collected 14 hits and 5 walks to score their 10 runs. They were 5 for 18 with runners in scoring position and stranded 9.

CF Jamal Austin in the leadoff spot went 3/6 with a triple, 2 runs scored, a ribbie, and a stolen base (20).

2B Dillon Hazlett in the two-hole went 1/4 with a double, a run scored, 2 ribbies, a walk, and a stolen base.

DH Ji-Man Choi in the three-hole went 1/5 wtih a run scored.

LF Patrick Brady in the four-hole went 1/3 wtih a double, a run scored, a ribbie, and 2 walks.

RF Jabari Blash in the five-hole went 1/3 witha run scored, a ribbie, and 2 walks.

3B Ramon Morla in the seven-hole went 3/5 with a solo homerun, scored 2 runs, and stole a base.

1B Jharmidy De Jesus in the eight-hole went 2/3 wtih a solo homerun.

SS Anthony Phillips in the nine-hole went 2/5 with a double and a run scored.

The KibbleKing defense committed 2 errors:
- Jabari Blash, 3rd, fielding
- David Colvin, 1st, pickoff

C Michael Dowd had his 3rd passed ball, but also gunned down the only would-be base stealer.

VSL MARINERS 9, VSL RAYS 12

Take away the crappy defense (6 errors) and the shoddy pitching, and this wasn't a bad game... Jesus Ugueto is still showing ownership of the opponents as he is still beating the crap out of the ball. Small sample size be damned, I like what I'm seeing so far. Ugueto is running a slashline of .459/.553/.705 in 71 plate appearances. Ugueto has 3 HR's, 1 triple, and 4 doubles. He has walked 10 times and struckout just 6. Ugueto is just barely 21 years old and this is his 4th season down in the VSL. Smoke and mirrors? Maybe, but I like to think that there is something there to hang a hat on, my friends.

Piss on the fire and call in the dogs. I'm outta here!

Lonnie

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Members
  • 9,106 posts
Seems High Desert is missing Proscia and versa visa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users