Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Olivo hurt

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

MikeB20634

MikeB20634
  • Members
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, Traveling, Computers
Some of you may have already heard Olivo suffered a groin strain. That being said what happens next with catching duties, and will someone be called up? Don't read USS Mariner much but Dave had several ideas about what could happen should Olivo go on the DL.

phredmojo

phredmojo

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 2,720 posts

Some of you may have already heard Olivo suffered a groin strain. That being said what happens next with catching duties, and will someone be called up? Don't read USS Mariner much but Dave had several ideas about what could happen should Olivo go on the DL.

jaso and montero split and carp replaces olivo

http://seattletimes....to_dl_saun.html
RIP Ichidman51............say hello to wildman and Ray_Oyler_fan...you will be missed my friend

MikeB20634

MikeB20634
  • Members
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Skiing, Traveling, Computers
Thanks. So they are bringing up Carp and splitting catching duties as suspected. Hopefully Jaso will adjust as he hasn't had anytime behind the dish this season.

xarmyguy78

xarmyguy78
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Thanks. So they are bringing up Carp and splitting catching duties as suspected. Hopefully Jaso will adjust as he hasn't had anytime behind the dish this season.

Last I heard on twitter is that Olivo WILL be out longer than 15 days

@shannondrayer
Olivo says he felt a pop, much different from the pull last spring

@GregJohnsMLB
Olivo injured same groin muscle last Spring Training and says this one feels worse. He was back in 3 weeks on that one.

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 7,913 posts

You would have to think this makes things easier on the M's. They were going to have to call up Carp anyways since his DL rehab time was expiring. Too bad Carp was struggling in Tacoma.

MfaninAlaska

MfaninAlaska
  • Members
  • 1,971 posts
Didn't want to start a new topic for this, but the M's might be activating Olivo today from the DL.... and.... it looks like Casper Wells is being sent to Tacoma.... "per Baker on Twitter"

Not Official yet.

Edited by MfaninAlaska, 24 May 2012 - 11:41 AM.

Life as a Mariner Fan!

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,281 posts
No rehab. Will his offense struggle accordingly? Would anyone be able to tell the difference?
Adopt-a-Players:
Forrest Snow - Suspended for the first 50 games of the season. (Come on, Forrest. Just because it's legal in Washington...)
No invite to Spring Training. Not assigned to any team. Contract still owned by the M's, but effectively out of baseball for now.
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP
2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - took his MLB .250/.296/.431/.727 and MiLB .305/.383/.508/.892 statlines and went to play in Korea.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball.
Mike Morse - Now playing for the Giants.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 04/02/2014

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts

No rehab. Will his offense struggle accordingly? Would anyone be able to tell the difference?

The concept of "rehab" is a problem in the case of Olivo. One could state that the goal of a rehab assignment would be to help Olivo work out the kinks from his layoff, get himself back in playing shape, and get his swing prepared for a return to an MLB lineup. If he has no swing to speak of, it sort of blows the whole concept out of the water. Ergo, why worry about it. His purpose on the roster is to serve as a veteran presence, no more, no less. It seems to matter not whether he produces, he plays. In that environment, he can achieve Wedge's goals no matter how he hits. No need for rehab. Welcome back, vet. Gee, this team really missed your veteran presence. Now get out there and be a veteran.
---------------------

There's an old saying, "The Proof Is In The Pudding."

Mariners 2012: It's Puddin' Time
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Posted Image

MfaninAlaska

MfaninAlaska
  • Members
  • 1,971 posts

He rehabbed a couple games in Tacoma.... he was 3-13 with 6 strikeouts... and one HR.

I'm just surprised they sent out Wells and kept Figgins... guess they don't trust Wells to be able to handle CF if Saunders gets hurt or needs a break.

Edited by MfaninAlaska, 24 May 2012 - 11:59 AM.

Life as a Mariner Fan!

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,755 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

He rehabbed a couple games in Tacoma.... he was 3-13 with 6 strikeouts... and one HR.

I'm just surprised they sent out Wells and kept Figgins... guess they don't trust Wells to be able to hald CF if Saunders gets hurt or needs a break.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Figgins can't be sent down. When does his contract expire?
2013 Mariners MVP (Last Update: July 31)
Batting WPA
Pitching WPA
ERACI Analysis

MfaninAlaska

MfaninAlaska
  • Members
  • 1,971 posts

I think it has more to do with the fact that Figgins can't be sent down. When does his contract expire?

After next season....
Life as a Mariner Fan!

Jokestar57

Jokestar57

Comedy isn't pretty...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 864 posts
I may have had an epiphany on why Olivo is not going anywhere for a while. Felix. He apparently dosen't like Montero as a catcher, according to an earlier post, and who knows how he feels about Jaso. That leaves Olivo. The king is probably the only one on the team who can demand....and get.....his own personal catcher.

The opinions, thoughts and content put forth are not necessarily those of Mariner Central.

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,281 posts

Felix. He apparently dosen't like Montero as a catcher, according to an earlier post, and who knows how he feels about Jaso.

Wow! Really?

That quote didn't come from Felix. It wasn't even based on conversations with Felix or someone with inside knowledge. The comment was made by Steve Phillips, talking head for ESPN, bloviating that Felix wouldn't stay in Seattle if he had to pitch to Jesus. There was nothing to back that up. Just Phillip's opinion of Jesus' defensive skills.

In reality, Felix has pitched four games with Jesus as his catcher. He won two of them, giving up one run and five hits total. He also lost two of them in pretty bad fashion. If you're going to assume Felix won't pitch to Montero because of those two games, you also have to assume he won't pitch to Olivo due to the games (like April 7) where Felix couldn't find his pitches and gave up a bunch of runs.

Felix may or may not have a preference for catchers, but I certainly wouldn't take Phillips' opinion as proof of it.
Adopt-a-Players:
Forrest Snow - Suspended for the first 50 games of the season. (Come on, Forrest. Just because it's legal in Washington...)
No invite to Spring Training. Not assigned to any team. Contract still owned by the M's, but effectively out of baseball for now.
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP
2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - took his MLB .250/.296/.431/.727 and MiLB .305/.383/.508/.892 statlines and went to play in Korea.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball.
Mike Morse - Now playing for the Giants.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 04/02/2014

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 10,723 posts
Too bad Carp has used all his options. I can understand not releasing Figgins at this point, but it seems inevitable that Zduriencik will have to bite the bullet and eventually do it.

With Liddi doing so well, Casper seems to be the odd man out. The move does allow for Figgins to maybe get an occasional start in the OF, but Wells needed more playing time, and now he will get it. I guess that's the bad news and the good news of the move.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,687 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

I may have had an epiphany on why Olivo is not going anywhere for a while. Felix. He apparently dosen't like Montero as a catcher, according to an earlier post, and who knows how he feels about Jaso. That leaves Olivo. The king is probably the only one on the team who can demand....and get.....his own personal catcher.

That is quite a keg of dynamite you are throwing into the conversation. Could you at least supply a link to where you got this info?

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 10,723 posts
Jaso may lose even more playing time now. I hope that Wedge still gives him some starts at catcher, but the record is not good. The only other positions he can play are DH and 1B, and Wedge has yet to play him at first base.

My preference at this time would be to release Figgins, and get Jaso and Wells more into the starting mix. Right now Carp and Smoak are producing less than Olivo, and I expect Liddi will take more and more starts from them. Jaso losing more playing time worries me, but he hasn't been getting a lot of it lately even with Olivo gone. I also believe that Jaso is out of options, so sending him to Tacoma to get playing time may not be a possibility.

My 2014 AAP's:

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 10,723 posts

That is quite a keg of dynamite you are throwing into the conversation. Could you at least supply a link to where you got this info?

There may not be a link. I believe he heard it on the radio. I'm on the side that it is only a totally false rumor. Felix has never said anything public about it, and is too classy a guy to ever do it. All he cares about is winning games, especially those he pitches. If Montero can get him a couple more W's with his bat, they will become best friends.

My 2014 AAP's:

phredmojo

phredmojo

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
the source is steve phillips, and its based entirely on his opinion of monteros defense and what he thinks felix thinks
RIP Ichidman51............say hello to wildman and Ray_Oyler_fan...you will be missed my friend

Jokestar57

Jokestar57

Comedy isn't pretty...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 864 posts
I know I read it somewhere. I thought it was in a post on here, but it could have been on another blog site. Basically it said what I said and what phred has stated. I almost responded to it, because I thought that Montero was doing a pretty good job catching. Anyway, no proof, just rumor, but it made sense to me if Felix indeed sees it that way.

The opinions, thoughts and content put forth are not necessarily those of Mariner Central.

EA!

EA!
  • Members
  • 206 posts
The problem with the "Felix loves Olivo" narrative is that it doesn't explain why Olivo is in the DH spot when he isn't catching.
wufners - "Washburn later apologized for the comment. He said was talking to Moyer on the phone and Jaimie said he should blame Johjima. "I didn't really want to say it, but I said yes when he [Moyer] called, and it lost my integrity for me.""

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users