Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

SERIES #8: SEATTLE @ TAMPA BAY

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

Poll: SERIES #8: SEATTLE @ TAMPA BAY (15 member(s) have cast votes)

How will Seattle fare against Tampa Bay?

1. 4-0 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 3-1 (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. 2-2 (4 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

4. 1-3 (8 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

5. 0-4 (1 votes [6.67%])

6. Grumpy's bunion (1 votes [6.67%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 10,733 posts
Carp is off the DL, and Olivo is on it. How could anyone complain about that? How could that not be as significant as Ichiro moving down in the order? The offense is still weak, but we now have power in the order that hasn't been there for years. The pitching could be better, but help is on the way, and we have our unanimous MVP, Felix leading the way.

Losing six in a row really sucks, even after winning four in a row. We come home to play the Twins, which is an advantage anywhere you play them. It's been very streaky so far, but our luck should swing the other way soon. There's still hope we can be back to .500 by the end of the month. OK, there's also the fear of never coming close to the mark this season.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,261 posts
So seagers the guy you guys want batting clean up? Is injury the only way for bad players to get out of the line up? How is Chone in LF any different than Bradley last year? What is Wedge trying to do with this roster? Baby the young players and really on the old washed up vets praying they become tradeable? Montero not bating cleanup?

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 7,919 posts

So seagers the guy you guys want batting clean up? Is injury the only way for bad players to get out of the line up? How is Chone in LF any different than Bradley last year? What is Wedge trying to do with this roster? Baby the young players and really on the old washed up vets praying they become tradeable? Montero not bating cleanup?

Of course not. I want the bat who's production is worthy of that spot at any given time. I don't care what the name on the back of the jersey is. With Montero not playing, Seager was the best option.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,261 posts

Of course not. I want the bat who's production is worthy of that spot at any given time. I don't care what the name on the back of the jersey is. With Montero not playing, Seager was the best option.

To bad Wedge decides to place Vets in the line up no matter how poorly they're doing.

I'm starting to think it's time for the M's to clean house. Fire everyone and I do mean everyone. Not just the manager and GM but everyone.

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 7,919 posts

To bad Wedge decides to place Vets in the line up no matter how poorly they're doing.

I'm starting to think it's time for the M's to clean house. Fire everyone and I do mean everyone. Not just the manager and GM but everyone.

Come on Mo, Wedge has been fair enough that you can't fault him now for sitting the "vets". He gave them a month to show what they have or don't have. He pretty much said it in Tampa, if you want to play, you have to produce. I'm confident we're going to see more Wells than Figgins in left. I think we'll see Seager at 2nd and Liddi at third a bit, Kawasaki at SS more, if not mostly if Ryan keeps up his ways and a fair share of Carp and Liddi at first.

Wedge gave Figgins plenty of rope to hang himself. There should be no grievance with the players union when Figgins gets cut.

The next test is going to be Gutierrez. I've always thought he would be back the last week of May. That should be about right. He's just now running and should be getting in some full practices now. I would guess that by next week he should be in Tacoma and will be there for 2 weeks. It's going to be great watching the M's current OF battling for playing time. I'm hoping when Guti comes back Saunders moves to LF and Wells plays LF to spell Saunders and Guti occasionally. I would also like to see Ichiro get a day off once a week. I think we should see more of that.

A healthy Gutierrez should make Figgins all but expendable. He should be gone by June.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,261 posts
Figgins has had 2 years here it's not like we just signed him. Olivo is bad as is ryan. We don't need to be giving time to vets just cause they're vets. Especially when you have better options. To me it's inexcusable. One thing about the M's that supposedly changed was vet entitlement. Glad to see that hasn't changed....oh wait he dropped Ichiro in the order. Things have changed.

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,282 posts
Now that Carp has returned from the DL and Olivo has gone on the DL, we SHOULD start to see more of:

LF: Carp (inc) and Wells (.240/.296/.400/.696) instead of Figgins (.189/.250/.305/.555)
C: Montero(.292/.301/.449/.751) and Jaso (.318/.375/.682/1.057) instead of Olivo (.210/.229/.346/.575) who was catching 4 of every 5 games

IF those changes are made, we'll also see major changes at DH. This had been primarily the extra catcher show, with Montero, Olivo and Jaso picking up 84.4% of all plate appearances. With a two catcher rotation, the backup catcher will probably sit rather than DH, just in case. So, DH will probably become Carp's primary position with the rest of the plate appearances going to a rotation of guys who need a rest(ish) day.

So, I would expect the typical lineup against LH starters to be something like:

C : Montero ®
1B: Smoak (s)
2B: Ackley (l)
3B: Liddi ®
SS: Ryan ®
LF: Wells ®
CF: Saunders (l)
RF: Ichiro (l)
DH: Carp (l)

And against RH starters, you should see:

C : Montero ® / Jaso (l) -- 50% split
3B: Seager (l)
SS: Ryan ® / Kawasaki (l) -- 50% split
LF: Carp (l)
DH: Liddi ®

NOTE: That's what I think you SHOULD get if just those two changes above are made. Personally, I'd start giving Seager some playing time at SS and Liddi more time at 1B (obviously not at the same time) to give Ryan and Smoak time off.

However, I don't expect ANY of that to actually happen. Here's the lineup I think we're going to continue seeing almost every single day...

C : Montero ® / Jaso (l) -- 80%/20% split until Montero breaks for over work
3B: Seager (l) / Liddi ® -- 50% split
SS: Ryan ®
LF: Figgins (s)
DH: Carp (l)

Wedge loves his vets. Gotta give 'em playing time, even when better options are available to you, until they either succeed or get injured. :headdesk:
Adopt-a-Players:
Forrest Snow - Suspended for the first 50 games of the season. (Come on, Forrest. Just because it's legal in Washington...)
No invite to Spring Training. Not assigned to any team. Contract still owned by the M's, but effectively out of baseball for now.
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP
2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - took his MLB .250/.296/.431/.727 and MiLB .305/.383/.508/.892 statlines and went to play in Korea.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball.
Mike Morse - Now playing for the Giants.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 04/02/2014

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,261 posts
Hui that's extremely well put. Much better than I can express myself. Also I'd like to point out that Liddi could play SS he has played almost everywhere in the INF personally I'd like to see Liddi at SS compared to Seager. I think Liddi fields the position better. Liddi's a big boy but he's athletic so that could work.

Am I the only one tired off seeing former M's prospects doing well around the league? It seems like everyday it's a different guy.

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 7,919 posts

Am I the only one tired off seeing former M's prospects doing well around the league? It seems like everyday it's a different guy.

Prospect? It seems like anyone who leaves Seattle has a breakout. Spazio went to St. Louis and had a couple pretty decent years. Beltre did pretty darn good, too.

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,282 posts
Exception that proves the rule: Jose Lopez (recently DFA'd by the Indians, cleared waivers and assigned to AAA)
Adopt-a-Players:
Forrest Snow - Suspended for the first 50 games of the season. (Come on, Forrest. Just because it's legal in Washington...)
No invite to Spring Training. Not assigned to any team. Contract still owned by the M's, but effectively out of baseball for now.
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP
2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - took his MLB .250/.296/.431/.727 and MiLB .305/.383/.508/.892 statlines and went to play in Korea.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball.
Mike Morse - Now playing for the Giants.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 04/02/2014

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts

Prospect? It seems like anyone who leaves Seattle has a breakout. Spazio went to St. Louis and had a couple pretty decent years. Beltre did pretty darn good, too.

Even "nailed to the ground" shortstop Aurelia had some good years with Cincy after his inauspicious partial season in Seattle.

You would think veterans would be breaking down the doors to get to Seattle...for one season, or better, a partial one, so they can then leave and enjoy complete rejuvenation. JK
---------------------

There's an old saying, "The Proof Is In The Pudding."

Mariners 2012: It's Puddin' Time
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Posted Image

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,757 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.
Lineup for today:

1. Ackely 4
2. Liddi 5
3. Ichiro 9
4. Montero 2
5. Seager DH
6. Smoak 3
7. Carp 7
8. Saunders 8
9. Ryan 6

With the exception of Ryan that's perhaps our "best" lineup so far.

By the way, where's today's Series Thread?
2013 Mariners MVP (Last Update: July 31)
Batting WPA
Pitching WPA
ERACI Analysis

Chaos_Effect

Chaos_Effect
  • Members
  • 2,175 posts
I am glad that I went out and had a few adult beverages tonight, so I didn't see another gruesome performance by the Mariners offense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users