Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

04/27 Mariner's Minor League Report

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,799 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?
What an awesome night for Mariner's fans everywhere!

Tacoma got blech pitching and MIA offense in a loss to the Aliens of Las Vegas. Jackson sent a big three pitcher to the mound and got a big three type of performance. High Desert won in come from behind late style. Clinton lost yet... Wha? They won? Cool!

Tacoma: 9-13
Jackson: 16-7
High Desert: 14-8
Clinton: 9-13

System: 48-41

Pitcher of the Day: Stephen Landazuri
Player of the Day: Jabari Blash

Mariners come from behind and win in extra-innings, and the minor leagues take 3 out of 4. Wow, this is almost like living a world of dreams, or some may think of it as just a...

Aldo Nova - "Fantasy"

http://www.windingpathdesign.com/tmp/2012/fantasy.mp3

Let's do dis!

======================================

TACOMA RAINIERS 0, LAS VEGAS 51's 5

The starting pitching was a disaster, but the relief was actually pretty good, all things considered. Jeff Marquez made his 5th start for the Rainiers, and tonights effort made it 3 out of 5 steaming piles. I really don't want to see him make another start with the R's, especially since there are other, better, options available, like letting the little girl who sang the National Anthem have a go...

As I said, the relief pitching was pretty good, but that comes with a caveat. Oliver Perez came out of the bullpen and threw an inning and two-thirds of shutout relief. What I didn't like was his 30 pitches thrown to 6 batters, and walked 2 out of the 6. I could care less that he struckout 3. He just seems to be forever on the verge of falling off of the fence and getting lit up.

Josh Kinney, on the other hand has earned a bit of respect. He has 8 appearances so far this year, and if it hadn't been for one gawd-awful outting his numbers would be looking pretty damn good. Tonight he came into the game in the seventh inning with two outs and the bases clear. Kinney worked the last inning and a third working around a hit with a strikeout.

The offense collected 3 hits and 1 walk, and I really don't want to say anything more since my Mommy told me to say nothing if I don't have anything good to say.

Step away Citizen, there's nothing to see here.

--------------------------------

JACKSON GENERALS 3, TENNESSEE SMOKIES 0

A thought struck me while I was looking at the stats from tonights Generals game that no one will be happier to see one and all of the big three get promoted then the rest of the Southern League. Actually, let's just quit beating around the bush and call them the big four since Andrew Carraway has been just as dominant as the law firm of Hultzen, Paxton, and Walker. Together, the four are 10-2 with a 2.39 ERA, have 106 strikeouts and 37 walks. Their K/9 innings pitched is a sick 10.11 and their BB/9 is 3.53.

Ok, so, one of the big three (four) started tonight against the Smokies, and it was Taijuan Walker. Walker was his usual sick self as he went six innings giving up squat on 6 hits, walked 1, struckout 5, and plunked a Smoker. The game was knotted up at 0-0 right up until the General's offense woke up in the sixth inning to hand Walker his 3rd win on the year against bupkiss loses.

Moises Hernandez took over in the seventh and struggled a bit as he allowed a couple of hits while he recorded two outs.

Bobby LaFromboise relieved Hernandez in the seventh with two outs and a runner on base. Being the stud reliever that he is, LaFromboise stonewalled the runner and went on to pitch an inning and a third of high-quality relief baseball. LaFromboise gave up nothing on nothing, walked no one, adn struckout 2.

Carter Capps entered the game in the ninth inning, faced the minimum while striking out one for his 2nd professional save.

The General offense collected just 6 hits and 1 walk to score their 3 runs. They were 3 for 9 with runners in scoring postion and stranded 3.

DH Joseph Dunigan in the three-hole went 1/4 with a double, a run scored, and a ribbie.

1B Rich Poythress in the four-hole had a good night as he went 2/3 wtih a run scored and a ribbie.

CF Denny Almonte in the five-hole went 1/3 with a ribbie.

C Ralph Henriquez in the eight-hole went 1/3 with a double.

The General defense recorded 3 double plays and no one committed an error.

HIGH DESERT MAVERICKS 5, INLAND EMPIRE 66ers 3

High Desert got a Cal League outstanding start out of Chris Sorce tonight. Sorce went six innings giving up 2 runs on 5 hits, walked 2, and struckout 3. When he left the game The Maverics were trailing 2-0 nothing.

Carson Smith entered the game in the seventh and threw a solid inning of relief, and as a reward the offense suddenly woke up and took the lead to give him the win, his first as a pro.

Jonathan Arias made one bad pitch that very nearly ruined a strong two inning outting. Arias gave up 1 run on 2 hits (HR), walked no one and struckout 1 fo rhis 3rd save.

The Maverick offense collected 8 hits and 4 walks to score their 5 runs. They were 2 for 7 with runners in scoring position and stranded 7.

There is no two ways about it. For seven innings the Mavericks were Nick Maronde's bitch. Maronde, the starting pitcher of the 66ers gave up nothing on 3 hits, walked 2, and struckout a breath-taking 12 Mavericks. Needless to say, the Mav's were cheering in the dugout when he left the game. As soon as he did the Mavericks did this:

- Pitcher Change: Bryant George replaces Nick Maronde.
- Patrick Brady singles on a line drive to right fielder Randal Grichuk.
- Mike McGee doubles (7) on a sharp ground ball to left fielder Jeremy Cruz. Patrick Brady to 3rd.
- Pitcher Change: Tyler Kehrer replaces Bryant George.
- Brad Miller walks.
- Stefen Romero doubles (10) on a line drive to left fielder Jeremy Cruz. Patrick Brady scores. Mike McGee scores. Brad Miller scores.
- Steven Proscia singles on a line drive to center fielder Travis Witherspoon. Stefen Romero scores.
- John Hicks singles on a sharp ground ball to left fielder Jeremy Cruz. Steven Proscia scores. John Hicks to 3rd. Throwing error by left fielder Jeremy Cruz.
- Pitcher Change: Manuel Flores replaces Tyler Kehrer.
- Mickey Wiswall strikes out swinging.
- Mario Martinez reaches on a fielder's choice out, shortstop Jean Almanzar to catcher Jett Bandy. John Hicks out at home.
- Kevin Rivers grounds out, first baseman Jimmy Swift to pitcher Manuel Flores.

And, as quick as that a 3-0 deficiet became a 5-3 lead. I love it!

LF Mike McGee in the leadoff spot went 2/5 with a double and a run scored.

SS Brad Miller in the two-hole went 0/3 with a run scored and 2 walks.

2B Stefen Romero in the three-hole went 2/5 with a double, a run scored, and 3 big ribbies.

1B Steven Proscia in the four-hole went 2/4 with a run scored and a ribbie.

C John Hicks in the five-hole went 1/4 with a stolen base.

CF Patrick Brady in the nine-hole went 1/2 with a run scored and 2 walks.

The Maverick defense turned 1 double play, and committed 1 error (Miller, throw, 11).

CLINTON LUMBERKINGS 7, GREAT LAKES LOONS 1

The fact that the LumberKings are getting some decent pitching isn't that surprising to me. The fact that the bats are starting to finally warm is.

Tonight the LumberKings sent Stephen Landazuri to the mound for his 4th start, and the kid responded with a sparkling seven inning effort. Landazuri gave up 1 run on 5 hits, walked 1 and struckout 5 to pick up his 3rd win of the year.

Wes Alsup pitched the final two innings with little drama as he gave up nothing on no hits, walked 2, struckout 2, and uncorked a wild one.

The LumberKing offense collected 9 hits and 5 walks to plate their 7 runs. They were 2 for 10 with runners in scoring position and stranded 8.

CF Jamal Austin in the leadoff spot went 2/5 with a run scored.

RF Alfredo Morales in the two-hole went 1/4 with a double, a ribbie, and a walk.

DH Jabari Blash in the four-hole... Well, if you read these write up frequently then you know that Blash was struggling along with the entire offense. Last night Blash busted lose with a pair of homeruns to lead the team. How does one follow up a performance like that? Well, tonight Blash went 2/4 with 2 more homeruns! Blash scored 3 times, drove in 4 runs, and walked 1 time for good measure.

3B Ramon Morla in the five-hole went 1/5 with a double and a ribbie.

C Michael Dowd in the six-hole went 1/3 with a double, a run scored, and 2 walks.

SS Anthony Phillips in the nine-hole went 1/3 with a triple, a ribbie, and a walk.

The LumberKing defense turned 1 double play, committed 1 error (Hazlett, fielding, 2), and Stephen Landazuri picked a runner off of first.

Piss on the fire and call in the dogs. I'm outta here!

Lonnie

Harrison_Crow

Harrison_Crow
  • Members
  • 181 posts
I am really happy to hear about Blash... LIKE really happy.

I was starting to think he might be James Jones 2.0 and while two games doesn't change that it's two games that are better than anything Jones ever did. BTW, is time just to put Jones back on the mound yet?
Adopt-a-players:

Juan Diaz (YET ANOTHER switch hitting middle infielder) (traded)

Seon Gi Kim (Still waiting for him to come around... )

Brandon Haveman (Loveable depth) (released)

Tyler Blandford (What are the possibilities of a refund at this point?)

So... I got this site where I write at... SodoMojo. If you care to visit.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,799 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

I am really happy to hear about Blash... LIKE really happy.

I was starting to think he might be James Jones 2.0 and while two games doesn't change that it's two games that are better than anything Jones ever did. BTW, is time just to put Jones back on the mound yet?

What I'm hearing is that Blash dropped a new batting stance and went back to his old one and the results have been breath-taking. Sometimes a coach can try to do too much, ya know?

Jones... Man, that kid is an enigma. Maybe it is time to try him on the mound, Lord knows the organization is starting to fill up with small speedy guys and one won't be missed.

Lonnie

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts
So I guess Miller isn't even going to attempt to improve his defense ?

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,799 posts

So I guess Miller isn't even going to attempt to improve his defense ?

You have to admit that your statement has more than a bit of hyperbole in it.

In Miller's defense, the field that he plays on the most (High Desert) is one of the worst in all of minor league baseball. It is hard and uneven and the ball can take a lot of funny hops there.

High Desert, in so many ways, is the rectum of the world.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts

You have to admit that your statement has more than a bit of hyperbole in it.

In Miller's defense, the field that he plays on the most (High Desert) is one of the worst in all of minor league baseball. It is hard and uneven and the ball can take a lot of funny hops there.

High Desert, in so many ways, is the rectum of the world.

It does I just can't believe the amount of errors. But then again that was his biggest weakness when he was drafted.

Also I didn't know that about High Desert so I'll keep that in mind.

Edited by AlMoStLeGeNdArY, 29 April 2012 - 06:46 AM.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Home Run Boosters
  • 6,584 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
Is Ji-Man Choi all done ?

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players:

Victor "Filthy" Sanchez @ AA Jackson. twirls two hit shutout. from Rio Chico , Venezuela
DJ Petterson @ 25 2B's and 20 HR's spliting time between AA Jackson and High Desert, Baseball America's mid season top 5.0 Gilbert, AZ
Luis Liberato  out of La Canela, Dominican Republic hitting .273 in the AZL for 2014,,,!

:Former adopt-a-players:

Mike Zunino - In the show
Tom "Clear Head" Wilhelmsen -  In the show
Johan Limonta - AA San Antonio of the Padres System
Greg Halman RIP

victorsanchez.jpg
Victor "Filthy" Sanchez

grande o vete a casa !

King 5 Safeco Weather
http://web.live.weat...okie_world_stat=&

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,799 posts

Is Ji-Man Choi all done ?

Choi had a rod and two screws put into his back last December and will most likely be sidelined until late May or early June at the earliest. From the folks that I talked to down in ST, Choi's catching days are over.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Home Run Boosters
  • 6,584 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en

Choi had a rod and two screws put into his back last December and will most likely be sidelined until late May or early June at the earliest. From the folks that I talked to down in ST, Choi's catching days are over.

tanks !

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players:

Victor "Filthy" Sanchez @ AA Jackson. twirls two hit shutout. from Rio Chico , Venezuela
DJ Petterson @ 25 2B's and 20 HR's spliting time between AA Jackson and High Desert, Baseball America's mid season top 5.0 Gilbert, AZ
Luis Liberato  out of La Canela, Dominican Republic hitting .273 in the AZL for 2014,,,!

:Former adopt-a-players:

Mike Zunino - In the show
Tom "Clear Head" Wilhelmsen -  In the show
Johan Limonta - AA San Antonio of the Padres System
Greg Halman RIP

victorsanchez.jpg
Victor "Filthy" Sanchez

grande o vete a casa !

King 5 Safeco Weather
http://web.live.weat...okie_world_stat=&

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users