Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Mariners and a random NFL'ized draft situation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: The Mariners and a random NFL'ized draft situation (3 member(s) have cast votes)

If it were possible would you want to the Mariners to move down in the June draft?

1. Yes (2 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. It would depend upon who is on the board (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Harrison_Crow

Harrison_Crow
  • Members
  • 181 posts
With all the NFL draft stuff going on right now, and the lingering question of who do the Mariners draft if Buxton and Zunino are not on the table, I thought it would be interesting to put up a quick poll about the Mariners and moving out of the third pick.

Rules within the old and new CBA do not allow a team to trade or swap draft picks. So this is purely hypothetical, but at the same time it could be rather fun.

If you would move down what team would you target to move down and what would you expect to get back?

Personally, I would like to the see the Mariners target teams such as the Cardinals or the Brewers, who both have two picks in the first round, and see if you couldn't get a second round pick a long with it.

At picks 19, 23, 27 and 28 you could maybe snag a second round and yet still grab someone with high upside like previously mentioned Corey Seager. There is also high school pitchers Taylore Cherry and Duane Underwood or even maybe a Nolan Sanburn, who is a draft eligible sophomore out of Arkansas with a great fastball/solid curve ball, and is climbing the draft charts.

With a second pick in the second or third round there is a possibility for going after someone like Nick Williams. A guy with huge upside and yet could be a total bust. High risk, high reward type-of-thing.

What do you guys think? What would you do? Take the pick go with someone like Giolito, Correa, Zimmer or even a Max Fried (whom I LOVE) or trade out of the first round and try to stock up on a few different guys?
Adopt-a-players:

Juan Diaz (YET ANOTHER switch hitting middle infielder) (traded)

Seon Gi Kim (Still waiting for him to come around... )

Brandon Haveman (Loveable depth) (released)

Tyler Blandford (What are the possibilities of a refund at this point?)

So... I got this site where I write at... SodoMojo. If you care to visit.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,821 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?
Cool idea, Harrison.

If possible, I would swap the #3 overall with Pittsburgh at #8. At that point, grabbing someone like Dahl, Fried, or even Giolito isn't such a reach.

Harrison_Crow

Harrison_Crow
  • Members
  • 181 posts
I can't understand why they didn't work this into the new CBA.
Adopt-a-players:

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,821 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

I can't understand why they didn't work this into the new CBA.

I brought that up with some of our "peers" and was roundly disabused for having such a notion.

Harrison_Crow

Harrison_Crow
  • Members
  • 181 posts

I brought that up with some of our "peers" and was roundly disabused for having such a notion.

Why is that?

And p.s. our "peers" are snobs...
Adopt-a-players:

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,821 posts

Why is that?

And p.s. our "peers" are snobs...

Snobs? You are being kind, the words I have for some of them requires an age verification check of the folks that come here in 13 states... :thumbsup:

Some folks don't want baseball to emulate ANY other sport.

Harrison_Crow

Harrison_Crow
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Snobs? You are being kind, the words I have for some of them requires an age verification check of the folks that come here in 13 states... :thumbsup:

Some folks don't want baseball to emulate ANY other sport.

Being a soccer fan I understand that. There are a lot of people, especially overseas, that become rather annoyed with how the US's program is run and how it's grown. It's a different brand. But then again it's different in Spain, England, Mexico and even Brazil. It's about the different flavors.

The same could be said about Japan baseball vs. the America style or brand. I called it "the America style" to incorporate all of north america and then again even down south you as well as others know about the difference in Venezuela baseball and the intensity. It's amazing.

That said, and to get back on track, it's about what is best for the sport here in the US. A) It doesn't "tie" a teams hands and enables more to teams to do what they want, and B) it makes these drafts more interesting. Forget about the fact that most people haven't heard of many of these kids in the draft, people will tune in for the entertainment value. And I don't buy that people haven't "heard" of these kids because their H.S. level. These people that follow football know the #56th overall ranked H.S. guard in the country, what college he's committed too and whether or not he's a NFL prospect. If people wanted to know about high school pitchers or hitters the information is out there...

This isn't you fathers MLB draft.
Adopt-a-players:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts
I think there's a couple of reason why draft picks aren't allowed to be traded. For one the MLB draft is 50 rounds compared to 8 of the NFL draft. Also baseball is a different monster than football. There's bust in football with the #1 pick however, there are times in baseball when the #1 pick doesn't even make it to the majors.

But I'd love the idea of us trading down getting a couple of picks in the sandwich round and pick up multiple players that could help us. I don't like the fact that we pick 3rd and then 64th. I'd much rather have like 3-5 picks during the first couple of rounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users