Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Olivo and Figgins playing time

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Schuxu

Schuxu
  • Members
  • 2,227 posts
  • Interests:Baseball - Softball - Scoring
Lately there is a lot of bad feelings toward management about the playing time for Olivo and Figgins. I am of the strong opinion that there is a reason despite for all those games those guys get which is not the veteran presence crap that Wedge talked about. Instead this is all about tradeability. There is still hope that these two might build some value such that we can dump them to somebody else without having to eat there whole remaining contracts. And this value wont build on the bench. I don't know how long it will last, but I guess as long as these guys are still on the roster they will get significant playing time.
GMF @ the Spot
MC Adoptee Denny Almonte

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,268 posts

Lately there is a lot of bad feelings toward management about the playing time for Olivo and Figgins. I am of the strong opinion that there is a reason despite for all those games those guys get which is not the veteran presence crap that Wedge talked about. Instead this is all about tradeability. There is still hope that these two might build some value such that we can dump them to somebody else without having to eat there whole remaining contracts. And this value wont build on the bench. I don't know how long it will last, but I guess as long as these guys are still on the roster they will get significant playing time.

I really hope that isn't the reason. Sometimes you just gotta know when to cut your loses.

Edited by AlMoStLeGeNdArY, 27 April 2012 - 08:43 AM.

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,724 posts
Figgins is probably a lost cause, and will have to rebuild his career once he leaves the Mariners. Olivo could probably build some value, but that's not the way Wedge thinks. Right now he seems to believe he doesn't have better options than the two of them, but that will change quicker for Figgins that Olivo. Figgins has the burden of a big contract, but Olivo could have value for a team with a starting catcher out for the season.

My guess right now is that Wedge is keeping the guys in the line-up to motivate the younger players by making them prove they are better players. Eventually that will happen, but not soon enough for most of us including myself.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

Logan Kensing, Rainiers bullpen.

Jesus Montero, trimmed down and ready to go.

Sorry, Ji-Man, but really? Maybe when you get off the restricted list, Montero will have been promoted. 

Carson is doing a fine job, but Logan has been dominant and deserves recognition.

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,516 posts
The only thing saving Figgins right now is that his current batting line is as good or better than our starting C, 1B, 2B, SS and DH.

Adopt-a-Players:
*new* Alex Jackson - Welcome aboard, AJaxx!

2014 Hitting .289/.333/.500/.833 in Peoria.

Forrest Snow - Working as a swingman and spot-starter for Tacoma.
2014 AAA/AA: 2-3, 2.35 ERA, 46 K, 12 BB, 1.065 WHIP - more to come!
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP

2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - Hitting .336/.423/.645/1.068 in Korea (304 plate appearances).
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Assistant coach for a high school.
Mike Morse - Hitting .273/.325/.472/.796 for the Giants. (sure would look good as our DH about now)
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 06/27/2014

6-pak-abs

6-pak-abs

Son of Ninkasi!

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  • Interests:Mariners, Huskies, Seahawks, Homebrewing
Figgins is getting another day off today ... I guess Seager and Jaso need some "veteran presence" with them on the bench.
Adopt a player: Justin Seager

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,724 posts

The only thing saving Figgins right now is that his current batting line is as good or better than our starting C, 1B, 2B, SS and DH.

No doubt! Carp's return won't help much either, because he doesn't seem to be 100% yet. Figgins is very motivated right now. He's in a battle for playing time right now, but there are others doing worse. What he's really in danger of losing is the #1 spot in the order. It's only a matter of time before Ackley takes over. If he does really bad, like he did last year, he could find it difficult to get a job with another MLB team.

My 2014 AAP's:

Sorry, Ji-Man, but really? Maybe when you get off the restricted list, Montero will have been promoted. 

Carson is doing a fine job, but Logan has been dominant and deserves recognition.

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,724 posts

Figgins is getting another day off today ... I guess Seager and Jaso need some "veteran presence" with them on the bench.

:thumbup:

I was checking to see if anyone would comment on Figgins. I like this one the best, but I missed finding any comments about Wedge always benching guys after they have a good day. It seems they were right, but we do still need a little more data to be sure.

Edited by Vidya, 27 April 2012 - 04:40 PM.

My 2014 AAP's:

xarmyguy78

xarmyguy78
  • Members
  • 660 posts

:thumbup:

I was checking to see if anyone would comment on Figgins. I like this one the best, but I missed finding any comments about Wedge always benching guys after they have a good day. It seems they were right, but we do still need a little more data to be sure.

I guess we'll know for sure if Wedge gives Saunders the day off tomorrow. With a RHP on the mound tomorrow MAYBE, just maybe Jaso will get a start behind the plate, even though Olivo did have a big hit and scored an important run in tonight's game

Edited by xarmyguy78, 27 April 2012 - 10:00 PM.

M's Watcher

M's Watcher

I've got my eyes on you...

• Members
  • 2,635 posts

With Olivo hurt now he's not going anywhere other than the DL. If he's back by June, there's still a chance to trade him by the deadline. Offensively, he has been improving. On defense, he has been just as offensive. I'm sorry Olivo is hurt, but Jaso now gets his deserved shot.

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Members
  • 9,017 posts

With Olivo hurt now he's not going anywhere other than the DL. If he's back by June, there's still a chance to trade him by the deadline. Offensively, he has been improving. On defense, he has been just as offensive. I'm sorry Olivo is hurt, but Jaso now gets his deserved shot.

How about Montero? Here's a Larry Stone tweet:

A stat to ponder from my blog post: Montero hitting .450 (9-for-20) w/3 HR, 8 RBI when catching, & .197 (12-for-81) w/1 HR & 5 RBI when DH

I would like some more of that.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,831 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

How about Montero? Here's a Larry Stone tweet:
I would like some more of that.

What I don't want to see is more of Brandon League's splitters clanking off of Montero's glove.

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Members
  • 9,017 posts

What I don't want to see is more of Brandon League's splitters clanking off of Montero's glove.

League couldn't throw his splitter very much the begining of last year because Olivo couldn't catch it either. Things like catching Leagues splitter take a bit of time getting used to. Not quite like catching a knuckle, but that thing drops a couple of floors.

garbonzo

garbonzo
  • Members
  • 314 posts
Ackley 2B
Seager SS
Ichiro RF
Montero DH
Saunders CF
Smoak 1B
Liddi 3B
Carp LF
Jaso C

I wonder if Wedge would ever consider a lineup like this against a RHP.

Wouldn't mind seeing it once myself, though it would probably never happen.

Chaos_Effect

Chaos_Effect
  • Members
  • 2,175 posts

Ackley 2B
Seager SS
Ichiro RF
Montero DH
Saunders CF
Smoak 1B
Liddi 3B
Carp LF
Jaso C

That lineup looks like it could be fairly competent.

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 872 posts

Ackley 2B
Seager SS
Ichiro RF
Montero DH
Saunders CF
Smoak 1B
Liddi 3B
Carp LF
Jaso C

So long as we're going to rosterbate, just turn that into a glove/bat platoon between Ryan and Liddi. With groundballers, Ryan's in at SS with Seager at 3B. With flyball pitchers, you go with Seager at SS and Liddi at 3B.

I don't know if there is a manager in MLB anymore that would actually run something like that, but hey. It's rosterbation, so nobody actually cares.Posted Image
AAP Time:
Nick Franklin & Brad Miller - I'm calling it. By the time they retire, this graduated duo will break the MLB record for the most Double Plays turned as a team. That's what coming up together and being awesome together for your entire careers on the same team will do for ya.

Roenis Elias - LH SP that has thus passed his first "rough-road ahead" sniff test -- get AA hitters out with meh stuff. He isn't electric, but he's certainly interesting enough to keep an eye on and follow because he's only gotten better results while climbing the ladder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users