Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

MC Podcast #23

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,815 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

POPULAR

It had been a while since the last time that Conor and I got together for one of these. The last time Conor and I spoke we were rudely interrupted by the Pineda for Montero trade. Unfortunately/fortunately, nothing of earth shaking importance happened while we talked. At least, nothing that we are aware of.

Anyway. This one is about 40-odd minutes long, but I bet you'll listen to the whole thing!

Lonnie

Harrison_Crow

Harrison_Crow
  • Members
  • 181 posts
I love, love, love these things.
Adopt-a-players:

Juan Diaz (YET ANOTHER switch hitting middle infielder) (traded)

Seon Gi Kim (Still waiting for him to come around... )

Brandon Haveman (Loveable depth) (released)

Tyler Blandford (What are the possibilities of a refund at this point?)

So... I got this site where I write at... SodoMojo. If you care to visit.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,815 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

I love, love, love these things.

Hey, did you notice that down in Jackson that they moved Francisco Martinez into the leadoff spot? Looks to be a good/great move, and the kid is responding!

Harrison_Crow

Harrison_Crow
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Hey, did you notice that down in Jackson that they moved Francisco Martinez into the leadoff spot? Looks to be a good/great move, and the kid is responding!

I did notice that. He's currently sporting a wRC+ of 117, wOBA of .352 (according to Fangraphs. Very similar to last year... only this year it's fueled by walks rather than with a BABIP) but an ISO of .054. He needs to start hitting for more power. I like him a lot (you know I do based upon our discussions), but the lack of triples and the lack of two baggers and triples needs to improve. It's still really early and it's been rather cool down in teh south to start the year, so I'll be patient. Hopefully he'll start driving the ball better.

Edited by Harrison_Crow, 27 April 2012 - 09:46 AM.

Adopt-a-players:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts
I enjoyed your podcast as usual Lonnie.

All this draft talk has gotten me interested in the draft and I'm curious as to why Zunino should be the guy the M's pick up?

Edited by AlMoStLeGeNdArY, 27 April 2012 - 10:55 AM.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,815 posts

I enjoyed your podcast as usual Lonnie.

All this draft talk has gotten me interested in the draft and I'm curious as to why Zunino should be the guy the M's pick up?

While the organization could really use an increase in talent at the lower divisions, I think that when a talent like Zunino comes along you HAVE to take him regardless of the sour taste that Jeff Clement left in so many peoples's mouths. Zunino is a special talent along the lines of Buster Posey, but I wouldn't quite put him in that class just yet.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts

While the organization could really use an increase in talent at the lower divisions, I think that when a talent like Zunino comes along you HAVE to take him regardless of the sour taste that Jeff Clement left in so many peoples's mouths. Zunino is a special talent along the lines of Buster Posey, but I wouldn't quite put him in that class just yet.

Clement is part of the reason why I don't want a catcher first round. However, if you're saying he can potentially be Posey I'm all over that. Posey is a player that I really like.

Also what are some of your thoughts on Buxton ? let's say we had to chose between Buxton & Zunino would you still think Zunino was the pick ?

I always look for the guy with the most power because let's face it the M's offense hasn't been much of anything (i know i know don't draft for need). With that said I've come across the name Victor Roache any chance he falls to our 2nd pick ?

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,815 posts

Clement is part of the reason why I don't want a catcher first round. However, if you're saying he can potentially be Posey I'm all over that. Posey is a player that I really like.

Also what are some of your thoughts on Buxton ? let's say we had to chose between Buxton & Zunino would you still think Zunino was the pick ?

I always look for the guy with the most power because let's face it the M's offense hasn't been much of anything (i know i know don't draft for need). With that said I've come across the name Victor Roache any chance he falls to our 2nd pick ?

If it comes down to a choice between Buxton or Zunino, I would take Zunino, but there is a good argument for going with Buxton. Here's why. If Buxton reaches his potential he would be a ++ outfielder. If Zunino reaches his potential he would be a ++ catcher. Without trying very hard, you could probably come up with a dozen or more ++ outfielders. How many ++ catchers are there in all of MLB? One? Two? Maybe Three?

Catchers who are above average on defense, and can swing the bat for average, power, and have a good batting eye are like Willy Wonka Golden Tickets: Damn Rare. Zunino is no flash in the pan either. This wasn't his first standout season with Florida. Last year he was ineligible for the draft (freshman) otherwise he would have gone in the first round (IMHO). This year he is demolishing the college ranks in one of the toughest conferences in all of NCAA Division I baseball (SEC).

The one knock on Buxton, and it is legitimate, is that the level of competition that he has gone up against isn't very good. What that means is that any and all of his production is subject to scrutiny. The only thing that isn't are his measurables (HT, WT, Speed, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I really like Buxton and I wouldn't be at all disappointed if the M's take him, but if Zunino is still available, and they take Buxton, I will be pissed...

This is probably all moot speculation since both Buxton and Zunino will be off the board when the M's take the #3 pick.

W/R/T Roache, I don't see him making it out of the 1st supplemental round. Right now, I'm pinning my hopes on Corey Seager or Trey Williams!

Lonnie

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts

If it comes down to a choice between Buxton or Zunino, I would take Zunino, but there is a good argument for going with Buxton. Here's why. If Buxton reaches his potential he would be a ++ outfielder. If Zunino reaches his potential he would be a ++ catcher. Without trying very hard, you could probably come up with a dozen or more ++ outfielders. How many ++ catchers are there in all of MLB? One? Two? Maybe Three?

Catchers who are above average on defense, and can swing the bat for average, power, and have a good batting eye are like Willy Wonka Golden Tickets: Damn Rare. Zunino is no flash in the pan either. This wasn't his first standout season with Florida. Last year he was ineligible for the draft (freshman) otherwise he would have gone in the first round (IMHO). This year he is demolishing the college ranks in one of the toughest conferences in all of NCAA Division I baseball (SEC).

The one knock on Buxton, and it is legitimate, is that the level of competition that he has gone up against isn't very good. What that means is that any and all of his production is subject to scrutiny. The only thing that isn't are his measurables (HT, WT, Speed, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I really like Buxton and I wouldn't be at all disappointed if the M's take him, but if Zunino is still available, and they take Buxton, I will be pissed...

This is probably all moot speculation since both Buxton and Zunino will be off the board when the M's take the #3 pick.

W/R/T Roache, I don't see him making it out of the 1st supplemental round. Right now, I'm pinning my hopes on Corey Seager or Trey Williams!

Lonnie

Ah okay thanks for the insight. I'm starting to like the idea of Zunino. As for Seager I can't find much about him so what's there with him you like ? With Trey Williams I can understand I just read up some stuff on him and learned about "the legend of trey williams" so hopefully he can be added. As for Roache I really hope he drops to us this kid looks as legit as they come.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,815 posts

Ah okay thanks for the insight. I'm starting to like the idea of Zunino. As for Seager I can't find much about him so what's there with him you like ? With Trey Williams I can understand I just read up some stuff on him and learned about "the legend of trey williams" so hopefully he can be added. As for Roache I really hope he drops to us this kid looks as legit as they come.

Guys like Roache have a tendency to gain helium (rise in the polls) because of gaudy power numbers generated against weaker opposition. We already have a Victor Roache in the system, and his name is Rich Poythress. Back when the M's took Poythress in the 2nd round of the 2009 draft he was billed as the best power bat in college baseball. He has yet to progress past AA (but, he is off to a very good start so far this season), so I tend to worry a bit about guys who have that label.

Corey Seager is Kyle's little brother, and because of a strong college commitment he has been tabbed as a near impossible sign. However, with Kyle already in the fold he might help persuade his lil bro to forego college and go pro. If it was known that Corey Seager might pass up college he could move into the top half of the draft. He has the same talent set as Carlos Correa, but he's a bit bigger and stronger. The fact that he plays third base doesn't hurt.

Lonnie

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts

Guys like Roache have a tendency to gain helium (rise in the polls) because of gaudy power numbers generated against weaker opposition. We already have a Victor Roache in the system, and his name is Rich Poythress. Back when the M's took Poythress in the 2nd round of the 2009 draft he was billed as the best power bat in college baseball. He has yet to progress past AA (but, he is off to a very good start so far this season), so I tend to worry a bit about guys who have that label.

Corey Seager is Kyle's little brother, and because of a strong college commitment he has been tabbed as a near impossible sign. However, with Kyle already in the fold he might help persuade his lil bro to forego college and go pro. If it was known that Corey Seager might pass up college he could move into the top half of the draft. He has the same talent set as Carlos Correa, but he's a bit bigger and stronger. The fact that he plays third base doesn't hurt.

Lonnie

The way you explain it makes sense I just see a power guy and want him to come to the M's. But where we're at I think he'll be a good pick with our second pick. With the first pick I've warmed up to the idea of Zunino and I wouldn't mind Buxton. I just hope that it isn't another pitcher. With our next pick I think I'll be happy with Roache or Trey. I wouldn't mind bringing in Seager's little bro either but the college he committed to is it tough to get them out of there like with Cron last year?

Is there anyone else you're hoping is available when our 2nd pick comes up ?

After Poythress campaign in high desert I almost totally forget about him.

Edited by AlMoStLeGeNdArY, 27 April 2012 - 02:07 PM.

Harrison_Crow

Harrison_Crow
  • Members
  • 181 posts

The way you explain it makes sense I just see a power guy and want him to come to the M's. But where we're at I think he'll be a good pick with our second pick. With the first pick I've warmed up to the idea of Zunino and I wouldn't mind Buxton. I just hope that it isn't another pitcher. With our next pick I think I'll be happy with Roache or Trey. I wouldn't mind bringing in Seager's little bro either but the college he committed to is it tough to get them out of there like with Cron last year?

Is there anyone else you're hoping is available when our 2nd pick comes up ?

After Poythress campaign in high desert I almost totally forget about him.

It's easy to tab Poythress simply as a power bat that's "failed". But at the time he was also said to have elite level plate discpline and a good if not great understanding of the strike zone. A complete hitter that used the whole field at the plate with the best power in the SEC and perhaps in the 2009 draft. The problem last year was his bat speed faded (for an unknown multiple reasons) and because of that he didn't make the quality of contact or drive the ball like he previously had. Then his plate discpline started to crumble simply because he started pressing. Similar to what Jesus Montero is doing, only he hasn't lost his swing, which lead to altering his swing, stance, timing... a lot of different things.

I'm glad to see Poythress getting on base again, but his LD% is awful and his babip is awfully high right now. Let's see where he's at in June.

As for Victor Roache is an interesting comp to Rich Poythress but isn't completely accurate in my opinion. Roach has way more power and I think that Poythress power played up because of his hit tool and understanding of the strike zone. That's just my opinion.

I personally believe that Cory Seager is going to drop like a brick on draft day. I think that if the Mariners want him he can be had for the right price. I agree with everything you guys said about him on the podcast, and I think that he would be a huge grab in the 3rd round.

A few thoughts on Clint Coulter, I have him going to the Rays at 25. I think he matches up perfect for what they do and who they scout. I have no source on that just history.
Adopt-a-players:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users