Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

04/24 Mariner's Minor League Report

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,831 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?
So, I guess some of you are wondering what the heck happened to Monday nights recaps. Well, I do have an excuse. I was sitting here at my desk, listening to the Rainier's game and playing "Angry Birds". Well, the game ended, and then...
I'm sure that someone who is well versed in either quantum mechanics, or at least the X-Files, can explain what happened to me, but I sure can't. Somehow, I completely lost about 2 hours of my life. Maybe I was abducted? I don't feel like I got...probed. Anyway, the next thing that I knew it was 1:30 am here in Colorado and I was beat, so I went to bed.

Posted Image

As I sit here paying close attention to any strange lights both out on the road and up in the sky, here's your recap for tonight. It's a pity that I was not able to do the recaps from last nights game since it was a system sweep!

Tacoma lost big in an Vasquez suckfest. Jackson won on a "Big Three" night. High Desert pitcher El Toro steamed it up pretty good in San Jose for a loss. Clinton, coming off of three straight wins, lost.

Tacoma: 8-12
Jackson: 13-7
High Desert: 12-7
Clinton: 7-12

System: 40-38

Pitcher of the Day: Danny Hultzen
Player of the Day: Francisco Martinez

In recognition of the pitching staff at Jackson I give you the song of the night: Aerosmith - "Train Kept a Rollin'"

http://www.windingpathdesign.com/tmp/2012/Train_Kept_a_Rollin.mp3

Let's Rock!

==============================================

TACOMA RAINIERS 5, FRESNO GRIZZLIES 11

OMG! Stop the presses! Anthony Vasquez ISN'T as good as Paxton, Hultzen, or Walker!!! Who knew???

Ok, it was bound to happen. Anthony Vasquez, after three straight dominant outtings finally fell on his face. Unfortunately for him, falling on one's face while surrounded by steaming piles isn't a great idea. Vasquez lasted just four innings giving up 6 runs on 10 hits, walked 3, struckout 2 very embarassed guys, and plunked a Grizzly for his first loss of the year.

Cesar Jimenez took over in the fifth inning and put in two innings of "meh" quality relief. Jimenez gave up 1 run on 1 hit (HR), walked no one, and struckout 2.

Josh Kinney toed the rubber in the seventh, and everyone who was still at the game wished that he hadn't. Kinney worked one inning giving up 4 runs on 5 hits, walked and struckout no one.

Chance Ruffin pitched the final two innings with no damage, drama, or, for that matter, hits. Ruffin did walk one guy, but that was offset by striking out 2.

The Rainier offense collected 10 hits and 6 walks to score their 5 runs. They were a putrid 1 for 11 with runners in scoring position and stranded India + Japan.

2B Luis Rodriguez in the two-hole went 2/3 with a double and a homerun, a run scored, a ribbie, and 2 walks.

3B Vinnie Catricala in the three-hole finally had a good game at the plate. The Cat went 2/5 with a ribbie.

DH Luis Jimenez in the four-hole went 0/3 with a run scored and 2 walks.

SS Carlos Triunfel in the seven-hole went 2/4 with a triple and a homerun, scored 2 runs, and drove in 2.

1B Scott Savastano in the nine-hole went 2/3 with a run scored and a walk.

-------------------------------------

JACKSON GENERALS 8, HUNTSVILLE STARS 1

Danny Hultzen took the mound for the Generals today and had an effetive outting. I call it just effective because all though he didn't give up any runs or many hits, he did throw an aweful lot of pitches (97) for just five and two-thirds innings of work. During his time in the game Hultzen gave up nothing on 2 hits, walked 3, and struckout 5. Ya, he picked up the dubya.

Interestingly, Hultzen was billed as a "pitch to contact kind of guy". He had stated on more than one occasion that he is not a high strikeout kind of pitcher and that his calling card is his ability to keep his team in a game. Well, what's with all the strikeouts and walks then? So fare he has given up 9 hits, 11 walks, and 26 strikeouts in twenty one and two-thirds innings.

Moving on. Moises Hernandez relieved Hultzen with a runner on base and two outs in the sixth. Hernandez stonewalled the runner and went on to pitch an inning and a third of pretty good relief. Hernandez gave up nothing on 1 hit, walked no one, and struckout 2.

Jandy Sena took over in the eighth and struggled in his two innings of work to complete the game. Sena gave up 1 run on 2 hits, walked 2, and struckout 1.

I need to take a moment to point out that Huntsville is the best hitting team (so far) in the Southern League, so these kinds of performances by the pitchers needs to be highlighted. The #2 hitting team (AVG)? Jackson!

The General offense collected 14 hits, 9 walks... Nine?.... NINE!!!, and a Chris Pettit plunking to score their 8 runs. They were 6 for 18 with runners in scoring position and stranded China.

Woooo! Whose idea was it to put 3B Francisco Martinez in the lead off spot? Holy Crap, did he ever respond. Martinez went 3/3 with 3 runs scored, a ribbie, 3 walks, and a stolen base (6th).

Paging Harrison Crow!

SS Nick Franklin in the two-hole went 3/6 with 2 doubles, a run scored, and 3 ribbies.

1B Rich Poythress in the four-hole went 2/5 with a run scoreda double, a ribbie, and a walk.

CF Denny Almonte in the five-hole went 1/3 with 2 ribbies and 2 walks.

LF Chris Pettit (who the M's just recently signed after he was released from... who cares since he's 28 and playing at AA) in the six-hole went 3/4 with 2 doubles and a ribbie.

RF Kalian Sams in the eight-hole went 1/4 with a run scored, a double, and a walk.

2B Gabriel Noriega in the nine-hole went 1/5 with a run scored.

HIGH DESERT MAVERICKS 5, SAN JOSE GIANTS 9

George Mieses pitched five fantastic innings for the Mavericks tonight. 7 hits and just 2 runs allowed sounds pretty good, don't it? Unfortunately, he came out in the sixth and WOW! did the wheels ever come flying off! Here's how it went for him: single, single, strikeout, single, single, single. Don't let the singles fool you, Mieses was hit very hard in the inning and was just lucky that some of those singles didn't go for extra bases. When the dust finally settled, El Toro's line was five and a third innings pitched giving up 7 runs on 12 hits, walked 1, and plunked a Giant.

Taylor Stanton relieved Mieses in the sixth with the bases loaded and just one out. Stanton allowed all three runners to score (BASTARD!!!) and a couple of his own before getting the Mav's out of the inning. Stanton worked just two-thirds of an inning giving up 2 runs on 4 hits, walked no one and struckout 1 embarassed Giant.

Austin Hudson, who seems to have a major role whenever there is a blowout, pitched well in relief going two innings giving up nothing on 1 hit, walked no one, and struckout 2.

The Maverick offense collected 12 hits and 1 walk to score their 5 runs. They were 3 for 12 with runners in scoring position and stranded India.

SS Brad Miller in the leadoff spot went 2/5 with a ribbie.

DH Mickey Wiswall in the four-hole went 3/5 with a double, and 2 runs scored.

1B Steven Proscia in the five-hole went 1/4 with a run scored and a walk.

C John Hicks in the six-hole went 1/4 with a ribbie.

RF Kevin Rivers in the seven-hole had a great night as he slipped on the 450lb. gorilla suit and went bananas. Rivers went 2/4 with a double and a 3-run homerun, and scored 2 runs.

3B Mario Martinez in the eight-hole went 1/4 with a double.

CLINTON LUMBERKINGS 3, FORT WAYNE TINCAPS 7

Brett Shankin, who appears to be piggy-backing with Trevor Miller started today for the LumberKings, and although he did not pitch well, he didn't stink either. Shankin went five and a third innings giving up 3 runs on 8 hits, and walked 2.

Speaking of Trevor Miller, he relieved Shankin in the sixth inning with 2 runners on base and one out. Miller did a good job getting the LumberKings out of the sixth with no damage, but from that point on things didn't go well for him. Miller worked three and a third innings giving up 4 runs on 6 hits, walked 2 and struckout 1 to take the loss.

Joshua Corrales relieved Miller in the ninth with two outs and two runners on base. Corrales stonewalled the runners and got the Kings out of the inning.

The Clinton offense collected 8 hits and 1 walk to score their 3 runs. They were a pathetic 1 for 8 with runners in scoring position and stranded 5.

CF Jamal Austin continues to hit well in the leadoff spot. Tonight, Austin went 2/4 with a double, a run scored, and 2 stolen bases.

1B Ramon Morla in the four-hole went 1/4 with a run scored.

LF Guillermo Pimentel in the five-hole went 1/4 wiht a run scored.

SS Anthony Phillips in the seven-hole went 2/4 with a ribbie.

C Carlton Tanabe in the eight-hole went 1/4 with a double.

Piss on the fire and call in the dogs. I'm outta here!

Lonnie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users