Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Josh Hamilton

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

phredmojo

phredmojo

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
add 2 more HR's tonight. now 17

on pace for 83 hr and 196 rbi

Edited by phredmojo, 11 May 2012 - 08:30 PM.

RIP Ichidman51............say hello to wildman and Ray_Oyler_fan...you will be missed my friend

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,943 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.
I wonder how would Huindekmi categorize him under his new 7-day Temperature gauge.

Hell-hot?

tradedollarnut

tradedollarnut
  • Members
  • 1,440 posts
And another today...

Meanwhile, the M's suck. Their hitters suck, their starters suck, their relievers suck, their bench sucks. Other than that - what's not to like???

lisa mariner

lisa mariner

Compass Rosy

• Members
  • 2,701 posts

POPULAR

And another today...

Meanwhile, the M's suck. Their hitters suck, their starters suck, their relievers suck, their bench sucks. Other than that - what's not to like???

The M's record may suck ...
not that anyone with any realistic expectations expected it to be fabulous (with 7 or 8 rookies ~I've lost count~ and thirteen players on the Opening Day roster that have never been on one) but, there's plenty to like for those who understand learning is happening on-the-job and evaluations are being conducted in-season. Not the optimal situation but, we are where we are, so not much to do but accept in and enjoy the kids' progress ... or find another interest.

HITTERS
Ackley (coming around since moving to lead-off), Jesus (fun to see if/when he'll live up to the hype), Carp (starting to heat up since coming of the DL) Seager (showing he's a capable and versatile major leaguer), Saunders (started off hot with his new approach - hopefully he can get back to it), Liddi (shown some flashes), Wells (need to see more)

STARTERS
while a team ERA under 4 isn't stellar, it doesn't suck
Felix and Vargas definitely haven't sucked.
Bevan is off to a rough start
Noesi is making good adjustments in his first year as a big league starter.
OK, Millwood sucks

RELIEVERS
ERA as a group than less than optimal but, most who have at least 10 IP have more K's than H's (something to build on)
Luegte, the rule 5 guy, has yet to allow a run
League has been inconsistent but, still has 8 saves for a team with only 15 wins

BENCH
Liddi and Jaso most definitely haven't sucked (both hitting nearly .280)
Kawasaki's never going to light it up with the bat but, he's very useful as a PR and isn't scary to put at SS
Wells hasn't had a lot of chances with the bat (but great late inning defensive replacement with a great OF arm)

DEFENSE has been sterling
love, love, loving it!

From here, we see who learns, who progresses, who succeeds and who fails.
Then they call upon then next round of hopefuls from the farm and keep culling.
Then there's the draft...
This coming off season may be the most important one of Jack Z's career, as he uses the evaluation of a year-full of youth to access and fulfill need via signings and trades.

Edited by lisa mariner, 13 May 2012 - 10:27 AM.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,818 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

The M's record may suck ...
not that anyone with any realistic expectations expected it to be fabulous (with 7 or 8 rookies ~I've lost count~ and thirteen players on the Opening Day roster that have never been on one) but, there's plenty to like for those who understand learning is happening on-the-job and evaluations are being conducted in-season. Not the optimal situation but, we are where we are, so not much to do but accept in and enjoy the kids' progress ... or find another interest.

HITTERS
Ackley (coming around since moving to lead-off), Jesus (fun to see if/when he'll live up to the hype), Carp (starting to heat up since coming of the DL) Seager (showing he's a capable and versatile major leaguer), Saunders (started off hot with his new approach - hopefully he can get back to it), Liddi (shown some flashes), Wells (need to see more)

STARTERS
while a team ERA under 4 isn't stellar, it doesn't suck
Felix and Vargas definitely haven't sucked.
Bevan is off to a rough start
Noesi is making good adjustments in his first year as a big league starter.
OK, Millwood sucks

RELIEVERS
ERA as a group than less than optimal but, most who have at least 10 IP have more K's than H's (something to build on)
Luegte, the rule 5 guy, has yet to allow a run
League has been inconsistent but, still has 8 saves for a team with only 15 wins

BENCH
Liddi and Jaso most definitely haven't sucked (both hitting nearly .280)
Kawasaki's never going to light it up with the bat but, he's very useful as a PR and isn't scary to put at SS
Wells hasn't had a lot of chances with the bat (but great late inning defensive replacement with a great OF arm)

DEFENSE has been sterling
love, love, loving it!

From here, we see who learns, who progresses, who succeeds and who fails.
Then they call upon then next round of hopefuls from the farm and keep culling.
Then there's the draft...
This coming off season may be the most important one of Jack Z's career, as he uses the evaluation of a year-full of youth to access and fulfill need via signings and trades.

Sweet Lisa is out trolling for cPoints again, and it is working...

:cpoint:

:peace:

lisa mariner

lisa mariner

Compass Rosy

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
and hey, lookie there ... even Millwood doesn't suck anymore :)

Jokestar57

Jokestar57

Comedy isn't pretty...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 920 posts
Keep up the good work, Lisa. I know what to expect but I still fall into the trap, sometimes. Giving it a long (10 seconds) deliberation, I've come to the conclusion that most of us are latter day human Pavlov dogs. We've been programmed so long to "expect" dismal showings and react accordingly that we forget that these M's are different that anything before. These M's have a light at the end of the tunnel. Talented young players being conditioned and learning how to play at the major league level. If any don't pan out, we have many other talented young men to replace them. The same goes for pitching. I expect that the M's payroll spike will be available when the time comes to add key pieces. Actually, because of fans loyalty the last several years, it's more of a demand than an expectation. I guess we will see.

The opinions, thoughts and content put forth are not necessarily those of Mariner Central.

Idahomariner

Idahomariner
  • Line Drive Boosters
  • 950 posts

POPULAR

Good post Lisa.

I have a completely different feeling this year compared to previous years. I don't know who is going to develop and who is going to bust, but I feel like we are getting the roster into a pretty great place.

I feel like we are creating some options at every position where we have options if someone gets injured or fails to develop. For example, I am not terrified at the thought of Smoak not figuring it out because I think there is some quality volume behind him where one or two could possible break through.

C: Montero, Jaso
1B: Smoak, Carp, Liddi, Catricala
2B: Ackley, Seager
SS: Ryan, Kawasaki, Trunifel, Franklin, Miller
3B: Seager, Liddi, Catricala, Martinez
LF: Carp, Saunders, Wells,
CF: Gutierrez, Saunders, Carroll
RF: Ichiro, Almonte,

SP: Felix, Vargas, Beavan, Noesi, Carraway, Ramirez, Hultzen, Paxton, Walker
RP: League, Whilhemsen, Delabar, Leutge, Furbush, Kelley, Pryor, Capps, Ruffin

Plus we *should have some cash to plug holes (Outfield).

I think the future is bright and things are getting better...despite the frustrating losses.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Home Run Boosters
  • 6,807 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en

Hamilton went 1 for 4 in the nightcap, dropping his batting average to .395 but increasing his major league-leading RBI total to 38. In the four-game series he went 8 for 18 with six homers and 12 RBIs.

"I was pretty happy I had a good series," the slugger said.

Pretty good month by Mariners standards. ;-)

Inside scoop is that the Rangers are resigning him, so don't waste the electrons bothering to debate whether the M's will be players.

Yes, but for how many years ? He's 31, often injured and his off the field battles will haunt him for ever. Not against guys expressing their faith but this guy is nuts. A recent interview asked him where he'd like to sign as a free agent and he said it was all up to the lord and he (hamilton) had no say in it. What if the lord wanted him to be a Mariner ?

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players:

DJ Petterson 22 years old, 31 2B, 28 HR, 104 RBI, 45 BB, 109 K, 7 SB, 1 CS, 80 R, 471 AB's in 2014
Victor Sanchez 19 years old, 7-6 3.99 era, 1 CG, 1 SO, 32 BB, 94 K's, 1.25 WHIP in 2014
Luis Liberato 18 year old in 2014 AZL: 14 SB, 3 CS (.214/.332/.306/.638)

Former adopt-a-players::

Mike Zunino - In the show
Tom "ClearHead" Wilhelmsen -  In the show
Greg Halman RIP

Out of Organization AAP:

Corey Petterson:  (Kyle's Brother)  49 2B, 19 HR, 93 RBI, (.346/.395/.593/.989) 460 AB's, 85 R's LA Dodgers farm hand

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/

Chaos_Effect

Chaos_Effect
  • Members
  • 2,175 posts

Yes, but for how many years ? He's 31, often injured and his off the field battles will haunt him for ever. Not against guys expressing their faith but this guy is nuts. A recent interview asked him where he'd like to sign as a free agent and he said it was all up to the lord and he (hamilton) had no say in it. What if the lord wanted him to be a Mariner ?

Agreed, at this point, considering his age, past injury history and off-field problems, I don't know that I would want him for the price he is going to command. Better to let the Yankers and Rangers battle it out.

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 8,656 posts

Agreed, at this point, considering his age, past injury history and off-field problems, I don't know that I would want him for the price he is going to command. Better to let the Yankers and Rangers battle it out.

I would much prefer Hamilton on a 5 year deal than Fielder on a 9 or 10. That's all I'm sayin.

phredmojo

phredmojo

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 2,720 posts

Then he would have to take 5 years at 2 per because thats all howie will spend
RIP Ichidman51............say hello to wildman and Ray_Oyler_fan...you will be missed my friend

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Home Run Boosters
  • 6,807 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en

Yes, he played for the Reds and they couldn't wait to unload him. A rule 5 guy. My concern is teams have to handle him with kid gloves. He's very sensitive. The M's have an aging, over paid, prima donna on the 25.

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players:

DJ Petterson 22 years old, 31 2B, 28 HR, 104 RBI, 45 BB, 109 K, 7 SB, 1 CS, 80 R, 471 AB's in 2014
Victor Sanchez 19 years old, 7-6 3.99 era, 1 CG, 1 SO, 32 BB, 94 K's, 1.25 WHIP in 2014
Luis Liberato 18 year old in 2014 AZL: 14 SB, 3 CS (.214/.332/.306/.638)

Former adopt-a-players::

Mike Zunino - In the show
Tom "ClearHead" Wilhelmsen -  In the show
Greg Halman RIP

Out of Organization AAP:

Corey Petterson:  (Kyle's Brother)  49 2B, 19 HR, 93 RBI, (.346/.395/.593/.989) 460 AB's, 85 R's LA Dodgers farm hand

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/

phredmojo

phredmojo

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 2,720 posts

Yes, he played for the Reds and they couldn't wait to unload him. A rule 5 guy. My concern is teams have to handle him with kid gloves. He's very sensitive. The M's have an aging, over paid, prima donna on the 25.

yeah, but this one actually produces, umlike ours lol

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,786 posts

yeah, but this one actually produces, umlike ours lol

Ichiro was productive at 31, too. Signing guys to big $$ contracts into their late 30's is just a bad idea. It's proven to be bad for Seattle with Ichiro and it'll prove to be bad for whoever does the same with Hamilton.
You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

=============================

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,554 posts
Sandy is very close. Bavasi loved players who could hit any pitch, and loved to try. Zduriencik went in the opposite direction with Ackley as his poster boy. This year Wedge tried to reverse that a bit and encouraged his players to be more aggressive at the start of the season with disastrous results. Ackley's numbers plunged, but he is now recovering. He should be back to his old self by next season.

Seager has thrived this year and magically it seems, developed power. The top players in BB/K ratio are Ichiro at 10/13 and Ryan at 19/30. Veteran players not susceptible managerial tinkering? It could be. My only correction to what's been written, is to note that the direction of the team has changed, but the manager was trying to temper that change at the start of the season. I'm guessing he's backed off that "more aggressive" thing lately though because it seemed to have worked too well, and we will see improvement in the OBP numbers as the season progresses. That's how I see it.

I have no doubt that Seager and Ackley are the real thing, and all this Josh Hamilton wishing will fade as these players develop. I have high expectations for Saunders and Montero as well, but I don't feel as certain about them. Jaso and Wells are currently up, but Smoak and Carp are currently down. Liddi has moved into the mix as well. We should get something good out of at least one of those, but I don't know which one or two. My current order of preference is Jaso, Smoak, Liddi, Wells, and Carp. Carp may have come off the DL too soon, so he could easily move up on the list as the season progresses.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

Logan Kensing, Rainiers bullpen.

Jesus Montero, trimmed down and ready to go.

Sorry, Ji-Man, but really? Maybe when you get off the restricted list, Montero will have been promoted. 

Carson is doing a fine job, but Logan has been dominant and deserves recognition.

Toomany10pins

Toomany10pins
  • Members
  • 642 posts

I think the frogs argument was not to win the bidding war, just to drive the price up. (Since it will prop. be Texas who bids too.)

Unless Texas has a really tight budget (which they don't) then this means nothing. Texas and the Halos are willing to spend what it takes to win, and the M's are not willing to spend what it takes to win. Thems are the facts, like it or not

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 8,656 posts

Unless Texas has a really tight budget (which they don't) then this means nothing. Texas and the Halos are willing to spend what it takes to win, and the M's are not willing to spend what it takes to win. Thems are the facts, like it or not

Well, them's are the facts since the Rangers and Halo's just signed TV contracts that are beyond imaginable. I still don't know where all this TV money is coming from. If cable companies have this much money, cable TV should be free. Still, the Rangers have to sign not just Hamilton, but Kinsler, Cruz, Napoli and more. When they skimp on one of these guys and try to fill their spot with minor leaguers??? They will find out how hard it is. The Rangers window is the next two years. Then everything starts aging or leaving.

Sarah

Sarah
  • Members
  • 378 posts

Sweet Lisa is out trolling for cPoints again, and it is working...

:cpoint:

:peace:

Lisa nailed it with her bench comments. Anyone who has watched McLouth and Navarro, will testify that Lidi and Jaso would be a major upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users