Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Big Three

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Big Deal ? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

which of the big three should they bring up in 2012 ?

1. Walker (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

2. Paxton (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Hultzen (7 votes [25.93%])

Percentage of vote: 25.93%

4. all of the above (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

5. none of the above (5 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Home Run Boosters
  • 7,026 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
While listening to Mitchie in the Morning (weekdays 6-10am, KJR AM 950) he announced that his morning show would get out in front of the story of The Big Three (Taijuan Walker, James Paxton, Danny Hultzen by making weekly reports of their progress at double AA Jackson of the Southern League. Most of the rest of the radio guys and local scribs have latched onto this catch phrase: The Biig Three.

Does this put anymore pressure on these guys or does this add false hope to M's fans or do most M's fans even know who these guys are ? I guess its fun to say and they have to talk and write about something, but what is the real chance of all three of these guys making the big club sometime in 2012 ?

None of The Big Three have much minor league experience. Hulzen pitched in the college world series last year, with some time in the Arizona Fall League but that's it. Walker has just over 100 innings total, with most of that coming at Clinton. Paxton, who many feel will be the first to come up, has over 100 innings and pitched in Jackson and Clinton in 2011 and now he's getting his feet wet at Jackson again. Hulzen will be 23 in November. Paxton is the old man of the bunch. He'll be 224 in November and Walker is 24 in August. I thought Walker was much younger. Does age matter in this modern world of baseball ? Is their any pressure on Big Z or Wedge to bring them up sooner ? What if they brought them up and 2 of 3 took a powder ? Then What ? The only guy I can see getting bumped soon Millwood. Injuries could happen (knock on wood).

On the other hand, it lets guys like Snow, Pryor, and Carraway to fly under the radar. Interresting to see Jandy Sena at Jackson. He's one of the few guys left in the system who played on the Everett Championship Squad in 2010. He's an imposing figure at 6-6, 245 and fun to watch pitch.

Edited by senior octobre, 20 April 2012 - 09:48 AM.

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

DJ Petterson
Victor Sanchez
Luis Liberato

Greg Halman RIP

http://compassrosy.com/<p> 

everblue77

everblue77
  • Members
  • 128 posts
Walker is only 19...turns 20 in August.

I think only Pax has a shot at the majors this year. I think they will let the AAA squad show their hands and give an opportunity late in the year. Unfortunately for some/most of the AAA guys...should they not perform, they may not get an invite next year. Snow is an interesting prospect to me. He really has nothing but the AFL to stand on yet gets a lot of attention.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts

Walker is only 19...turns 20 in August.

I think only Pax has a shot at the majors this year. I think they will let the AAA squad show their hands and give an opportunity late in the year. Unfortunately for some/most of the AAA guys...should they not perform, they may not get an invite next year. Snow is an interesting prospect to me. He really has nothing but the AFL to stand on yet gets a lot of attention.

What does Walker's age have to do with anything ?

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,498 posts

What does Walker's age have to do with anything ?

Ummmm.... he was responding to this part of Senor Octobre's post

Hulzen will be 23 in November. Paxton is the old man of the bunch. He'll be 224 in November and Walker is 24 in August. I thought Walker was much younger. Does age matter in this modern world of baseball ?

So, Everblue was correcting the age listed in that post. Oddly, he left the Paxton age alone. Frankly, I had no idea that Paxton was going to destroy Moyer's record for wins at an advanced age! :thumbsup:

Adopt-a-Players:
*new* Alex Jackson - Welcome aboard, AJaxx!

2014 Hitting .289/.333/.500/.833 in Peoria.

Forrest Snow - Working as a swingman and spot-starter for Tacoma.
2014 AAA/AA: 2-3, 2.35 ERA, 46 K, 12 BB, 1.065 WHIP - more to come!
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP

2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - Hitting .336/.423/.645/1.068 in Korea (304 plate appearances).
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Assistant coach for a high school.
Mike Morse - Hitting .273/.325/.472/.796 for the Giants. (sure would look good as our DH about now)
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 06/27/2014

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts

So, Everblue was correcting the age listed in that post. Oddly, he left the Paxton age alone. Frankly, I had no idea that Paxton was going to destroy Moyer's record for wins at an advanced age! :thumbsup:

Ah I see that's what I get for not reading =/. Thanks hui.

Harrison_Crow

Harrison_Crow
  • Members
  • 181 posts

POPULAR

I'm about giving the young guys their shot and I wouldn't mind seeing Hultzen up about July-ish or even August. It makes sense to believe that he would be the first of the three to make an appearance since he's the only one currently on the 40-man roster. Though it's possible that there are even two others on the Jackson roster that could potentially make their debuts and they aren't Paxton or Walker.

Steven Hensley, since being moved to the bullpen, has faced 39 batters -- struck out 10 and walked only 3 -- and he is featuring a FIP of 2.66. He's missing bats, throwing strikes and he needs be placed on the 40-man before November when as he'll be vulnerable to the rule-5 draft. The Mariners, whose future bullpen is looking rather full at this time, would be wise to take a look at him at the big league level.

Carter Capps is all the current rage, but in the meantime, Stephen Pryor has been better in the first two weeks of the season. Striking out 34% of all batters faced while only walking only 2 batters out of 32, procuring 8 ground balls and even better allowing 0 home runs and NO LINE DRIVES. HE HAS YET TO ALLOW ONE SINGLE LINE DRIVE through 8 2/3. His TRA+ (which is just like OPS+ and adjusted to the rest of the league) is 199 suggesting that he's 99% better than the league average pitcher. Pryor isn't going to stick around very long.

Paxton has been really impressive and of course Walker has continually shined and maybe even is the best pitcher in all the minor leagues. But, I'm not sure that the Mariners are really prepared to push either of them just yet to the big league level this year.

I expect Walker to spend the rest of the season with the Generals (same with Maurer) and Paxton to end the season in Tacoma, maybe even by the middle of the season.
Adopt-a-players:

Juan Diaz (YET ANOTHER switch hitting middle infielder) (traded)

Seon Gi Kim (Still waiting for him to come around... )

Brandon Haveman (Loveable depth) (released)

Tyler Blandford (What are the possibilities of a refund at this point?)

So... I got this site where I write at... SodoMojo. If you care to visit.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,825 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

I'm about giving the young guys their shot and I wouldn't mind seeing Hultzen up about July-ish or even August. It makes sense to believe that he would be the first of the three to make an appearance since he's the only one currently on the 40-man roster. Though it's possible that there are even two others on the Jackson roster that could potentially make their debuts and they aren't Paxton or Walker.

Steven Hensley, since being moved to the bullpen, has faced 39 batters -- struck out 10 and walked only 3 -- and he is featuring a FIP of 2.66. He's missing bats, throwing strikes and he needs be placed on the 40-man before November when as he'll be vulnerable to the rule-5 draft. The Mariners, whose future bullpen is looking rather full at this time, would be wise to take a look at him at the big league level.

Carter Capps is all the current rage, but in the meantime, Stephen Pryor has been better in the first two weeks of the season. Striking out 34% of all batters faced while only walking only 2 batters out of 32, procuring 8 ground balls and even better allowing 0 home runs and NO LINE DRIVES. HE HAS YET TO ALLOW ONE SINGLE LINE DRIVE through 8 2/3. His TRA+ (which is just like OPS+ and adjusted to the rest of the league) is 199 suggesting that he's 99% better than the league average pitcher. Pryor isn't going to stick around very long.

Paxton has been really impressive and of course Walker has continually shined and maybe even is the best pitcher in all the minor leagues. But, I'm not sure that the Mariners are really prepared to push either of them just yet to the big league level this year.

I expect Walker to spend the rest of the season with the Generals (same with Maurer) and Paxton to end the season in Tacoma, maybe even by the middle of the season.

Damn fine research, Crow-magnon Man!

:clapping:

Lonnie

Toomany10pins

Toomany10pins
  • Members
  • 644 posts
Can any of the big 3 hit???????????????

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts

man I was just about to come in here and say that.

Jokestar57

Jokestar57

Comedy isn't pretty...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 959 posts

And there's the rub. It really doesn't matter how good your pitching is, if a team can't score runs..............

Look up futility in the dictionary and there would be a picture of the M's logo. Unfortunatly, last night they sank to utter futility.

I know that this is a pipe dream, but since they can't go any lower than last night, maybe this is where they regroup and actually start looking like a team worth rooting for. Maybe it'll be a two pipe effort. I'll let you know later.

The opinions, thoughts and content put forth are not necessarily those of Mariner Central.

Jokestar57

Jokestar57

Comedy isn't pretty...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 959 posts
Hey Senior, maybe a better poll would be "which one of the big three might actually have a big league career with the M's"? The MLB wayside is littered with can't miss prospects, many, many more than have made it. With three, we might have a chance of one of them making it. I really hope Walker makes the grade. I love watching him pitch, although I haven't had all that many opportunities to watch him.

Thank god Z had the sense to trade Pineda at the apex of his, so far, short MLB career.

Edited by Jokestar, 25 April 2012 - 07:00 PM.

The opinions, thoughts and content put forth are not necessarily those of Mariner Central.

G_Moneyball

G_Moneyball
  • Moderators
  • 1,423 posts

Danny Hultzen was the DH on his college team. Yes, he can hit. We're actually wasting a decent portion of his value in the American League. A NL team would get some good performances out of the 9 hole.

I'm okay with calling him up and letting him get some hacks too. :whistling:

I agree with the "Hultzen first, Paxton second, Walker third" placement, even though Walker is probably the best pitcher of the three.

But none of them can help much if we keep wasting RISP or forgetting to get hits or even walks in a game. C'mon offense, we need you not to blow this year...

~G
Adopt-a-players:
Mauricio "Shogun" Robles
- serious arm injuries have a way of derailing careers.
Ji-Man Choi, Korean 1B who was 4th in the MWL in OPS. Just needs to stay healthy.

Thanks for everything Dave.

Sandy - Raleigh

Sandy - Raleigh
  • Members
  • 2,730 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting, spiritual growth, sports, family, puzzle solving

I agree with the "Hultzen first, Paxton second, Walker third" placement, even though Walker is probably the best pitcher of the three.

*Head desk*
*Head desk*
*Head desk*

If Walker is the best pitcher AND he's pitching the best - (which based on K/BB/HR numbers, he is) - exactly why does somebody inferior get promoted ahead of him?

To me that is just another manifestation of the veteran entitlement mindset where appearances trump production.

Fister was promoted because he showed he could throw strikes without giving up HRs.
Pineda was promoted because he showed he could throw strikes without giving up HRs.

Walker is the only one of the three that has really demonstrated that so far. Paxton and Hultzen are having trouble throwing strikes. When they do, they can be devastating. But, if you cannot throw strikes to AA players ... are you going to be able to do so when Pujols or Hamilton or Fielder come to the plate?

Of course, these are small samples of data to go on for 2012. And over the next two months, any one of the three could actually move to the head of the class. But, based on their bodies of work to this point, IMO, Walker is clearly ahead of the other two. If he's the best ... he should be promoted first. To do anything else is harmful fo EVERYONE in the process ... the specific players involved as well as the team.

While I fully support giving kids a fair and reasonable opportunity to adjust to a new level before making a decision, (Noesi and Delabar and Erasmo and Montero etc. should get at least a month of regular play before sending them down) ... when it comes to choices of who to bring up ... good organizations focus primarily on production with prospects. If you bring up the bonus baby JUST because he's a bonus baby, you kill the incentive for everyone else to work hard.

This is why Ackley working his way through AA and AAA and only getting the call AFTER he was hitting .908 in AAA is such a good move. It was not only a plus for Ackley, it was an admission that he was not getting preferential treatment just because he was a high draft pick.

Pineda jumped past guys like French, Baldwin and Seddon because he was outpitching them. THEY knew this. When you're fanning 5 and this kid is fanning 11, it's easy to see why he's getting promoted. And that's important for keeping the talent flowing through the pipeline.

The simple answer is really simple. You promote the one who pitches the best.
The purpose of government is to set the minimum standard of behavior for a society, backed up with the power and authority to police and punish those who fail to meet those minimum standards. The purpose of Religion is to encourage people to exceed those standards voluntarily.

Adopt-a-player(s):
Age 25 - RH - (2B/UT) - (as of 8/19/2014)
Stefen Romero - mnrs - 1547-PA; 85-2B; 60-HR; 271-RBI; 36-SB; 21-CS; 96-BB; 250-K; .311/.361/.523 -- .884
MAJORS - 180-PA; 6-2B; 2-3B; 3-HR; 11-RBI; 0-SB; 3-CS; 4-BB; 46-K; .196/.236/.310 -- .545

Age 23 - LH - (LF) - (as of 8/19/2014)
Dario Pizzano - 2014 - 451-PA; 30-2B; 11-HR; 71-RBI; 1-SB; 1-CS; 64-BB; 49-K; .245/.357/.445 -- .802 (A+/AA)
Dario Pizzano - mnrs - 1232-PA; 88-2B; 23-HR; 170-RBI; 12-SB; 5-CS; 155-BB; 134-K; .296/.389/.469 -- .858

Age 23 - RH - (CF) - (as of 8/19/2014)
Jabari Henry - 2014 - 473-PA; 24-2B; 28-HR; 92-RBI; 6-SB; 8-CS; 63-BB; 99-K; .294/.400/.585 -- .986 (A+)
Jabari Henry - mnrs - 1156-PA; 62-2B; 47-HR; 191-RBI; 20-SB; 17-CS; 155-BB; 219-K; .276/.381/.508 -- .888

Age 24 - RH - (OF) - (as of 8/19/2014)
Jabari Blash - 2014 - 299-PA; 14-2B; 0-3B; 17-HR; 57-RBI; 6-SB; 2-CS; 39-BB; 81-K; .228/.351/.492 -- .843 (AA/AAA)
Jabari Blash - mnrs - 1740-PA; 80-2B; 13-3B; 76-HR; 257-RBI; 50-SB; 24-CS; 238-BB; 480-K; .254/.371/.484 -- .855

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Home Run Boosters
  • 7,026 posts

Okay, I didn't have my glasses with me ! Some are comparing him to the big unit, so perhaps, he might reach Moyer in age and wins :)

DJ Petterson
Victor Sanchez
Luis Liberato

Greg Halman RIP

M's Watcher

M's Watcher

I've got my eyes on you...

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Danny Hultzen was the DH on his college team. Yes, he can hit. We're actually wasting a decent portion of his value in the American League. A NL team would get some good performances out of the 9 hole.

I'm okay with calling him up and letting him get some hacks too. :whistling:

But none of them can help much if we keep wasting RISP or forgetting to get hits or even walks in a game. C'mon offense, we need you not to blow this year...

~G

The Big Three only need to outhit Olivo at DH, right? Bring 'em up. Vargas was a big college hitter at Long Beach State also, though I haven't seen it. Seems he forgot after leaving the NL.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts
Walker should be up first he's been better than the other two.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Home Run Boosters
  • 7,026 posts

this is good news. The knock on Pryor is he gets wild and walks some guys. He throws hard though: 94-95mph, if memory serves.

DJ Petterson
Victor Sanchez
Luis Liberato

Greg Halman RIP

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,825 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

this is good news. The knock on Pryor is he gets wild and walks some guys. He throws hard though: 94-95mph, if memory serves.

Yesterday Pryor touched 99 on the gun. It kind of looks like he has shaken off his wildness a bit too.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Home Run Boosters
  • 7,026 posts

Yesterday Pryor touched 99 on the gun. It kind of looks like he has shaken off his wildness a bit too.

yikes !

DJ Petterson
Victor Sanchez
Luis Liberato

Greg Halman RIP

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Home Run Boosters
  • 7,026 posts
Jackson ballclub is much more than the "Big Three"

Hot Stone League watches the big three at Jackson

Obviously, it was the growing hype surrounding the Big Three of Danny Hultzen, Taijuan Walker and James Paxton that lured me to Jackson to watch the Jackson Generals, and I was fortunate to get to see Hultzen and Walker pitch. Brandon Maurer pitched the middle game. One thing I discovered quickly -- and will cover in the story for the paper I'm writing -- is that they are rapidly trying to distance themselves from the whole "Big Three" business. I can fully understand -- they are all pretty down-to-earth guys and are beginning to feel uncomfortable with being singled out, particularly on a team that's just loaded with prospects. The Generals -- rated by Baseball America as the most talented team in the minor leagues -- are 17-8 and rolling through the Southern League. They won two out of three against the Tennessee Smokies (a Cubs affiliate) while I was there, losing the finale in 10 innings.

DJ Petterson
Victor Sanchez
Luis Liberato

Greg Halman RIP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users