Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

SERIES #4: SEATTLE VS CLEVELAND

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

Poll: SERIES #4: SEATTLE VS CLEVELAND (14 member(s) have cast votes)

How will Seattle fare against Cleveland?

1. 3 - 0 (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. 2 - 1 (8 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

3. 1 - 2 (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

4. 0 - 3 (1 votes [7.14%])

5. Huindekmi's blue butt... (1 votes [7.14%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts

As usual, and then notice some of the calls on Smoak on the bottom of the ninth, completely the other way around!

I'm getting sick of bad umps!

Yup.

Has anyone else wondered if the Evil Empire (the Yankees, of course) has used their under-the-radar influence to coerce the umps into systematically abusing the M's? Or perhaps the MLB umpires are infiltrated by aliens from the planet Xylon in disguise as humans, aliens to whom the Mariners' logo is somehow offensive? Or, shock of shocks, they just don't respect the franchise and it bleeds through in their umpiring? I dunno what it is, and I know fans in every city complain about the umps, but man, I try with all my might to dismiss what happens as something that just evens out, but it never seems to even out.
---------------------

There's an old saying, "The Proof Is In The Pudding."

Mariners 2012: It's Puddin' Time
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Posted Image

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts

Yup.

Has anyone else wondered if the Evil Empire (the Yankees, of course) has used their under-the-radar influence to coerce the umps into systematically abusing the M's? Or perhaps the MLB umpires are infiltrated by aliens from the planet Xylon in disguise as humans, aliens to whom the Mariners' logo is somehow offensive? Or, shock of shocks, they just don't respect the franchise and it bleeds through in their umpiring? I dunno what it is, and I know fans in every city complain about the umps, but man, I try with all my might to dismiss what happens as something that just evens out, but it never seems to even out.

it's not just the M's but most of the time bad teams don't get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to these things.

xarmyguy78

xarmyguy78
  • Members
  • 660 posts

WPA is Winning Probability Added. It is a measure of how much probability of winning the game Félix alone added. It is one of the highest figures you'll ever see!

so then, the higher the number the better?
the number you have for Smoak is that for the whole season? How does that work? Please forgive the ignorant questions I am totally confused

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,648 posts

the number you have for Smoak is that for the whole season? How does that work? Please forgive the ignorant questions I am totally confused

Maybe it's time to start another WPA thread. We need something to liven things up here. PM is the resident guru of WPA, but he does have his detractors. :thumbsup2:

Yes, WPA can be positive or negative. It tries to show which players contributed most to positively winning a game or negatively losing it. In the game last night Felix would have had a positive score, but League a very negative one. The sum total of all WPA for the Mariners would be minus one, and the sum total for the Inidans would be plus one for the game. Am I right Pirata?

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

Logan Kensing, Rainiers bullpen.

Jesus Montero, trimmed down and ready to go.

Sorry, Ji-Man, but really? Maybe when you get off the restricted list, Montero will have been promoted. 

Carson is doing a fine job, but Logan has been dominant and deserves recognition.

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,974 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

Maybe it's time to start another WPA thread. We need something to liven things up here. PM is the resident guru of WPA, but he does have his detractors. :thumbsup2:

Yes, WPA can be positive or negative. It tries to show which players contributed most to positively winning a game or negatively losing it. In the game last night Felix would have had a positive score, but League a very negative one. The sum total of all WPA for the Mariners would be minus one, and the sum total for the Inidans would be plus one for the game. Am I right Pirata?

Pretty much Vidya, except for the part that you start the game with a 0.5 chance of winning it, so you only need to "add" another 0.5 to win it. Remember that probabilities oscillate between 0 and 1, so if your probability of winning the game is 0, it means that it is CERTAIN that you will lose it, and if it is 1 then it is CERTAIN that you will win it. This only happens when the game ends. At the beginning of the game, you start off with 0.5 (50%) chance of winning it, and from then on, each play "adds" or "removes" probability of winning it. If you do something to help your team you add probability, hence your WPA will be positive, if you do something that hurts your team (like League yesterday), then you "remove" probability, hence your WPA will be negative.

Take for instance yesterday's game:

Pitching:
Félix: 0.522 (more than 50%)
League: -.731 (yes, negative .731)
Luetge: .033
you add them all = -.176 pitching

Batting:
Figgins: -.073 (hurt the team)
Ackley: .09 (helped)
Ichiro: -.15
Smoak: -.164
Olivo: -.115
Saunders: .135
Ryan: -.052
Seager: -.053
Jaso: .056
Total hitting: -.326

Total WPA = Pitching WPA + Hitting WPA = -.176 + (-.326) = -.5

So, you can see that the hitting (no kidding) was the main culprit of losing yesterday's game.

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,974 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

Yes, the higher the number the better, and remember it can also be negative, so the higher negative number the worse.

Yes, the number I have in my signature refers to Smoak's whole season WPA, making him our "MVP". You can click the links and see some nice charts with all players. It is the sum of the daily contributions in WPA of all Mariners.

Oh, and please, don't hesitate to ask, there are no ignorant questions, I'm more than pleased to answer them all.

Leo Gomez

Leo Gomez
  • Members
  • 1,667 posts

what is WPA?

This is nothing against you, X, but I had to cpoint your for this because it made me lol. Given the crazy WPA wars that happened last season (was it last year?), I didn't think there was anyone around MC that doesn't have the definition of WPA burned in to their brains forever :clownB:

I envy your WPA purity.

Edited by Leo Gomez, 20 April 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Go Cougs.

Run, Leo, Run.

@thesd

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,479 posts

Yes, the higher the number the better, and remember it can also be negative, so the higher negative number the worse.

Yes, the number I have in my signature refers to Smoak's whole season WPA, making him our "MVP". You can click the links and see some nice charts with all players. It is the sum of the daily contributions in WPA of all Mariners.

Oh, and please, don't hesitate to ask, there are no ignorant questions, I'm more than pleased to answer them all.

Come on, Pirata! How can Smoak be the Mariner's 2001 MVP? He was only 15 at the time. Besides, everyone knows that Brett Boone was the team MVP. :)

Adopt-a-Players:
*new* Alex Jackson - Welcome aboard, AJaxx!

2014 Hitting .289/.333/.500/.833 in Peoria.

Forrest Snow - Working as a swingman and spot-starter for Tacoma.
2014 AAA/AA: 2-3, 2.35 ERA, 46 K, 12 BB, 1.065 WHIP - more to come!
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP

2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - Hitting .336/.423/.645/1.068 in Korea (304 plate appearances).
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Assistant coach for a high school.
Mike Morse - Hitting .273/.325/.472/.796 for the Giants. (sure would look good as our DH about now)
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 06/27/2014

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,974 posts

Come on, Pirata! How can Smoak be the Mariner's 2001 MVP? He was only 15 at the time. Besides, everyone knows that Brett Boone was the team MVP. :)

Sorry, I know it's wrong, it should read 2011! My bad.

Edited by Pirata Morado, 20 April 2012 - 02:43 PM.

xarmyguy78

xarmyguy78
  • Members
  • 660 posts

Thanks I appreciate the info.

This is nothing against you, X, but I had to cpoint your for this because it made me lol. Given the crazy WPA wars that happened last season (was it last year?), I didn't think there was anyone around MC that doesn't have the definition of WPA burned in to their brains forever

I envy your WPA purity.

Leo, certainly glad I could give you soemthing to laugh about, and no worries I won't get offended. To be totally honest I make attempts to read all the stat-ish stuff in posts, but I usually quit when my brain starts smoking from confusion

Leo Gomez

Leo Gomez
  • Members
  • 1,667 posts
I'm there with you, Mr. X. I don't remember the specifics of what WPA is so much as I remember all the hostility associated with discussion of its merit...or lack of merit (depending on who is doing the talking). :whistling:

Edited by Leo Gomez, 20 April 2012 - 05:46 PM.

Go Cougs.

Run, Leo, Run.

@thesd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users