Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Montero

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Jokestar57

Jokestar57

Comedy isn't pretty...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 860 posts
Baker had an article about the M's snail pace getting Montero time behind the plate. He looked pretty good to my nontrained eyes the two times I saw him catch. But, one time, he stuck his hand out and got clipped by a foul ball. Stung him pretty good. I cringed and thought "Oh no, I hope his hand is all right". The M's are hurting so bad for offensive power that I think that's the main reason he has had so little time behind the plate. I expect he'll be catching Noesi regularly but, until the rest of the team starts hitting on a consistent basis, that could be the extent of his time there. I think he will eventually turn into a pretty good catcher. Like I said, he looked fine, defensively, to me and he seems to call a pretty good game, too.

One thing that cracked me up, though, was the deer caught in the headlights look he kept giving League while trying to catch all those splits in the dirt. I thought "welcome to the bigs, kid".

The opinions, thoughts and content put forth are not necessarily those of Mariner Central.

xarmyguy78

xarmyguy78
  • Members
  • 658 posts
The biggest thing I will be watching for in this weeks series against the Indians will be how much Olivo catches (or hits in the DH spot) with righthanders Masterson, Lowe, andTomlin throwing for the tribe and how many games will Jaso get to catch?
Personally I would have Jaso catching all three games

Edited by xarmyguy78, 17 April 2012 - 01:06 PM.

BattingPractice

BattingPractice
  • Grand Slam Boosters
  • 660 posts
Per Shannon Drayer:

Tonight's Mariner lineup vs the Cleveland Indians

1 Figgins LF
2 Ackley 2B
3 Ichiro RF
4 Smoak 1B
5 Seager 3B
6 Montero C
7 Saunders CF
8 Ryan SS
9 Jaso DH

Millwod P

----
I was hoping that Wedge was going to keep Montero and Noesi paired up to give Montero a regular start. But if he gets more work in that will free up more DH for Carp when he returns and others like Jaso.

Leo Gomez

Leo Gomez
  • Members
  • 1,613 posts

Per Shannon Drayer:

Tonight's Mariner lineup vs the Cleveland Indians

1 Figgins LF
2 Ackley 2B
3 Ichiro RF
4 Smoak 1B
5 Seager 3B
6 Montero C
7 Saunders CF
8 Ryan SS
9 Jaso DH

Millwod P

----
I was hoping that Wedge was going to keep Montero and Noesi paired up to give Montero a regular start. But if he gets more work in that will free up more DH for Carp when he returns and others like Jaso.

Wow, the Ms must be very much afraid of Jaso's jelly arm. Or they expect Olivo to crash or get injured, so they're trying to save Jaso's legs for the long haul. I find that second part to be unlikely.
Go Cougs

*Adopt-a-player: Not Yet Determined for 2010*

MC Blog, last updated 27 April 2010: http://www.marinerce.......p;blogid=8

NWSportsGeek

NWSportsGeek
  • Members
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Baseball. Astronomy. Science. Photography. Reading. Family time.
I don't get how minimal time behind the plate is beneficial to his long term progression as a catcher. They either think he can handle full time duty or not. At the very least give him a 50/50 split with Olivo.

Adopt-A-Players:

Jack Marder, C - High Desert (A+)

Daniel Paolini, IF - Clinton (A)

Patrick Kivlehan, 3B - Everett (SS-A)

"Life is precious and time is a key element. Let's make every moment count and help those who have a greater need than our own." --Rogers Hornsby

The Outfield Grass

@outfieldgrass

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 10,675 posts
Olivo needs playing time to get his numbers up, and hence his trade value. For now they can rotate the three catchers through the catcher and DH positions. When Carp returns that will have to change. Wedge can also add in the first base position and Smoak if he wants.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,257 posts
I'm not sure how much of a factor this however, here's some interesting Montero numbers

.357/,375/.857/.1232 1 double 2 HR's 5 RBI's
.200/.214/.200/.414 0 XBH's 3 RBI's

The first stat line is Montero as a C the second is when he's DH'ing......could be meaningless but he seems to hit better when he's behind the plate as opposed to being the DH thus far.

phredmojo

phredmojo

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 2,720 posts

I'm not sure how much of a factor this however, here's some interesting Montero numbers

The first stat line is Montero as a C the second is when he's DH'ing......could be meaningless but he seems to hit better when he's behind the plate as opposed to being the DH thus far.

thats not that uncommon. very few players hit as good dh'ng all the time then playing the field all the time. edgar was the excepion. its not easy just sitting on the bench and waiting 2-3 innings to bat
RIP Ichidman51............say hello to wildman and Ray_Oyler_fan...you will be missed my friend

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,744 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.

You forgot to mention something very important there:

PA1 = 16
PA2 = 42

He has had 16 plate appearances as a catcher, versus 42 as a DH, that's a very low sample size to infer anything.

But I support the idea of letting him catch more. The more he catches the less we'll see Olivo.
2013 Mariners MVP (Last Update: July 31)
Batting WPA
Pitching WPA
ERACI Analysis

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,257 posts

You forgot to mention something very important there:

PA1 = 16
PA2 = 42

He has had 16 plate appearances as a catcher, versus 42 as a DH, that's a very low sample size to infer anything.

But I support the idea of letting him catch more. The more he catches the less we'll see Olivo.

Small sample size indeed but there seems to be something there for now at least.

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,271 posts
You know... there MIGHT just be something to this. Miguel Olivo has similar splits!!

As C: .178/.196/.222/.418
As DH: .000/.000/.000/.000

The problem is obvious. Players can not be successful batting as the DH. It seems intuitive that the DH rule should be scrapped for the good of the game!

Or that we're looking at really small sample sizes.
Adopt-a-Players:
Forrest Snow - Suspended for the first 50 games of the season. (Come on, Forrest. Just because it's legal in Washington...)
No invite to Spring Training. Not assigned to any team. Contract still owned by the M's, but effectively out of baseball for now.
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP
2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - took his MLB .250/.296/.431/.727 and MiLB .305/.383/.508/.892 statlines and went to play in Korea.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball.
Mike Morse - Now playing for the Giants.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 04/02/2014

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 10,675 posts

Small sample size indeed but there seems to be something there for now at least.

Coincidence. I would say the numbers show that Montero has been improving since the start of the season, and coincidentally, Wedge has been giving him more starts as catcher. I'm sure PM would be able to prove that the sample size is too small to justify either belief, but it's a good discussion point.

What I really think is that many are upset at Olivo being given so many starts at catcher. If this was how Wedge plans to manage for the whole season, I would agree. My belief is that Wedge is just playing the older players more to force the kids to prove on the field they are better. Once that happens, as we all expect it well, then will be the time for Olivo to watch the games from the bench until he is traded.

What I have learned is that Wedge puts Jaso into the same category with the rookies and not the more veteran players.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users