Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

04/10 Mariner's Minor League Report

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,818 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?
Most of the affiliates turn their rotations over today, so it will be interesting to see how some react to their first taste of competitive baseball.

Tacoma... WTF? Jackson sent out Andrew Carraway for his second start of the year regardless of whether or not he has a "signature pitch" or not. End result? Oh, ya baaa-beee! High Desert hooked up with those hated Giants of San Jose and were soundly beaten. Clinton lost late as the bullpen wilted in the heat (har har har).

Tacoma: 3 - 3
Jackson: 5 - 1
High Desert: 5 - 1
Clinton: 1 - 4

System: 14 - 9

System Pitcher of the Day: Andrew Carraway
System Position Player of the Day: Scott Savastano

Let's Rock!

===========================================

TACOMA RAINIERS SQUAT, COLORADO SPRINGS SKY SOX 2

It would be easy to say that this was a pitching duel, but it was more a duel of futility more than anything else. Matt Fox started for the Rainiers and did much better in this outting than in his first. Fox went five innings giving up 1 run on 4 hits (HR), walked 1, and struckout 5 in a losing effort.

Cesar Jimenez took over in the sixth and threw two and two-thirds solid innings of relief. Jimenez gave up nothing on 3 hits and walked 1.

Oliver Perez relieved Jimenez with two outs and two runners on base in the eighth inning. Perez got the R's out of the inning with no damage in a very tight contest, and went on to pitch the ninth. Perez went one and a third innings giving up 1 run on 1 hit, walked 1, and struckout 1.

The Rainier offense consisted of Scott Savastano, who went 2/3 with a double and a triple, Carlos Triunfel also showed up with a hit and a walk, but that was it for the team.

------------------------------------

JACKSON GENERALS 5, TENNESSEE SMOKIES 1

Jackson sent non-prospect Andrew Carraway out for his second start of the year tonight and the kid tried his best to throw away the opportunity. Carraway could just get through seven innings and had the audacity to give up a run on... HORRORS!... 2 hits (HR), he walked 1 and only struckout 4. Carraway FAILED to uncork a wild one or plunk an opposing batter. Somehow, he was able to secure his second win on the year...

Looking over the game recap something jumped out at me. As a raw stat, Carraway had 7 groundouts and 3 flyouts. Now, as much as I like Andrew I have to tell you that he is predominantly a flyball pitcher, and if you look at the recap batter by batter then things will make a little more sense. For what ever reason, popouts to the infield are catagorized as groundouts. In the game tonight Carraway induced a rediculous 6 popouts to the infield.

Steven Hensley took over in the eighth inning and worked an inning and a third solid innings. Hensley gave up nothing on nothing, walked no one, and struckout 1.

Brian Moran relieved Hensley in the ninth with one out and the bases empty. Moran worked around 2 walks to end the madness.

The General offense collected 11 hits and 3 walks to plate their 5 runs. They were 4 for 13 with runners in scoring position and stranded 7. Interestingly, of the 11 hits exactly none of them went for extra bases.

LF Danny Carroll in the leadoff spot went 0/3 with a run scored, 2 walks, and a strikeout.

3B Francisco Martinez in the three-hole went 1/4 with a run scored, a walk, a K, and a stolen base.

1B Rich Poythress in four-hole went 3/4 iwth a run scored and a ribbie. RF Johermyn Chavez in the six-hole went 2/4 with... nothing. CF Denny Almonte in the seven-hole went 2/4 with a run scored.

HIGH DESERT MAVERICKS 7, SAN JOSE GIANTS A LOT MORE THAN 7

This game was seven shades of ugly. It would have been ten shades, but there was actually some good that occured along with the ugly.

Anthony Fernandez started for the Mavericks and pitched a California League good game. Fernandez went five innings giving up 2 runs on 8 hits, walked 2, struckout 7, and uncorked a wild one.

Hell, that would have been a good start in any league.

Willy Kesler took over in the sixth and may have punched his own ticket to palookaville. Kesler was unable to record a single out as he gave up 5 runs (4 earned, but who gives a crap...), and 4 hits (HR).

Jose Jimenez didn't do Kesler any favors as he allowed both runners he inherited to score (bastard...). Jimenez went on to throw two innings of decent relief giving up 1 unearned run on 3 hits, walked no one, and struckout 3.

Taylor Stanton tried his best to make Kesler feel good about his outting. Stanton took over in the eighth and dropped multiple steaming piles around the mound. Stanton's final line was an inning and a third pitched giving up 7 runs on 10 hits, walked no one, and struckout 2 very embarassed Giants.

Tyler Burgoon relieved Stanton with one out and two runners on in the ninth. Burgoon struckout the only two batters he faced to end the game.

The Maverick offense did their part, but just couldn't keep up with the craptitude that the relief corps was putting up. The Mav offense collected 13 hits and 2 walks to score their 7 runs. They were 4 for 17 with runners in scoring position and stranded 9.

C Jack Marder in the leadoff spot went 4/5 with a double, 2 runs scored, and a ribbie. Marder also stole his 4th base of the year.

SS Brad Miller in the two-hole went 1/4 with a double, a run scored, a walk, a strikeout, and 3 errors... THREE!

2B Stefen Romero in the three-hole went 3/5 with 2 doubles, scored 2 runs, picked up 2 ribbies, struckout once, and stole his first base of the year. Rumor has it that he was seen selling popcorn between innings.

LF Kevin Rivers in the four-hole went 1/4 with a double, 2 ribbies, a strikout, and a sacrifice fly.

DH John Hicks in the five-hole went 1/5 wiht a ribbie.

1B Steven Proscia in the six-hole went 2/5 with a run scored and a strikeout.

RF James Jones in the seven-hole went 1/4 with a walk and a strikout.

CLINTON LUMBERKINGS 3, CEDAR RAPIDS KERNALS 4

Cameron Hobson took the mound for his second start of the year and faired much better in this attempt. Hobson went five innings giving up 1 run on 3 hits, walked 1, struckout 5, uncorked a wild one, and plunked a Kernal.

Kyle Hunter made his Midwest League debut, and probably wants to forget it. Hunter, who pitched exceedingly well last year while with Everett, so I was really hoping to see more from him this year. Hunter went two innings giving up 2 runs on 3 hits (HR), walked no one, and struckout 2. For this, Hunter earned his first blown save on the year.

Wes Alsup took over in the eighth and got the LumberKings out of the inning with the game tied at 3. In the ninth Alsup recorded an out, but then gave up the walk off run for the Kernal victory.

Blech...

The LumberKing offense collected 8 hits and 4 walks to score their 3 runs. They were 2 for 8 with runners in scoring position and stranded 9.

Speed-burner CF Jamal Austin went 1/5 with a run scored in the leadoff spot.

2B-1B Danial Paolini in the two-hole went 2/4 with a double, 2 ribbies, a walk, and a stolen base.

1B Jharmidy De Jesus in the six-hole went 2/4 with a K.

RF Alfredo Morales in th eight-hole went 1/3 with a run scored and a ribbie. Morales also committed the trifecta of getting caught stealing, got picked off base, and committed an error...

SS Anthony Phillips in the nine-hole went 0/2 with a run scored, a ribbie, and a sacrifice.

Piss on the fire and call in the dogs. I'm outta here!

Lonnie

everblue77

everblue77
  • Members
  • 128 posts
Carraway is looking very solid. Love the 1 BB vs 10 K's and he works quick. Doesn't have that "Wow" factor stuff but delivers well with he's got.

How long does Carrol stay in the 1 spot with 0 marks in the hit column while also leading the team in K's?

As well as Franklin and Miller are hitting out of the SS postition, the thing that bothers me is their defense. Both have A LOT of improvement to make. Gotta have a glove first at that position.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,818 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

Carraway is looking very solid. Love the 1 BB vs 10 K's and he works quick. Doesn't have that "Wow" factor stuff but delivers well with he's got.

How long does Carrol stay in the 1 spot with 0 marks in the hit column while also leading the team in K's?

As well as Franklin and Miller are hitting out of the SS postition, the thing that bothers me is their defense. Both have A LOT of improvement to make. Gotta have a glove first at that position.

I'm in the process of getting the low-down on Carraway to figure out what he is doing right, but I think I have an idea. I talked to him down in ST and he said that he was working hard all last year on his changeup and I think that it has become his out-pitch. He said that last year his change up had gotten better and it was making his fastball appear to have more velocity. Whatever he is doing, I approve!

It's still really early, but Danny Carroll HAS to show something soon.

I am very concerned with the defense of both Franklin and Miller too. I just wish that somehow we could inject some Gabby Noriega into both of these guys. Gawd, that sounded ***...

everblue77

everblue77
  • Members
  • 128 posts
Hey...Carroll goes 1 for 5 today, yes 2 k's. Maybe this gets him a little more loose.
Pax continues to look dominate in his second start...4.2 inn, 4 h, 1 r, 1BB, 7K. For a guy that had "control" issues not to shabby. 10.1 inn, 1BB, 17K's. Yes sir, give me two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users