Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

04/07 Mariner's Minor League Report

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,827 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?
And another night of action-packed baseball goes into the book.

Wait, I've written that perhaps a bajillion times and I have no idea what this nebulus book is or where it can be found. I also have no idea whose job it is to annotate these games in the book...

The Tacoma Rainiers showed that they are more than a collection of pretty faces as they broke out the big sticks for the win . The Jackson Generals did not get a earth shattering pitching performance for the first time in three days, but still managed to get the win with this thing called "offense". High Desert did what High Desert does best in a win. Finally, the Clinton baseball club put one in the "W" column, and did so with good pitching and good offense.

Hey, it just occurred to me that the system had a sweep last night! 4 games, 4 wins!

System Pitcher of the Night: James Gillheeney
System Position Player of the Night: Jack Marder

Tacoma: 2-1
Jackson: 3-0
High Desert: 3-0
Clinton: 1-2

Total: 9-3

Let's Rock!

=====================================================

TACOMA RAINIER 8, SALT LAKE BEES 2

Mauricio Robles, who I thought was going to be throwing out of the bullpen started for the Rainiers last night and had a decent, if short, outting. Robles worked four innings giving up 1 run on 4 hits, walked 2, and struckout 3.

Oliver Perez, who I also thought would be in the rotation is apparently either the long relief man out of the bullpen, or else he is piggy-backing in the rotation with robles, took over in the fifth. Perez worked 3 innings of good relief giving up 1 run on 3 hits, walked 1, and struckout 3. Perez was the pitcher of record so received the W.

Chance Ruffin, who I thought would also be working out of the bullpen, is working out of the bullpen. Damn, that makes me 1 for 3. Anyway, Ruffin threw the final two innings solidly giving up nothing on 1 hit, walked no one, and struckout 2.

Everyone be very, VERY quiet! Big Carlos Peguero is apparently pissed off at the world and I'm not going to get in his way...

The Rainier offense collected just 6 hits, 3 walks, and a Luis Rodriguez plunking to score their 8 runs. They were 2 for 6 with runners in scoring position and stranded 2.

SS Carlos Triunfel in the two-hole went 1/4 with a run scored and a ribbie.

RF Carlos "Piggy" Peguero in the four-hole went 2/3 with a gargantuan home run in the second inning, scored 3 times, picked up a ribbie, a walk, and his first strikeout on the season.

C Adam Moore's wrist must be feeling pretty good. Hitting in the five-hole, Adam went 2/3 with a homerun, scored 2 runs, drove in 3, and walked one time.

2B Scott Savastano in the nine-hole went 1/3 with a run scored and 2 K's

---------------------------------

JACKSON GENERALS 7, BIRMINGHAM BARONS 5

Youngster Brandon Maurer got the start tonight for the Generals and didn't quite up up a performance to match the gents who had pitched in the preceding evenings. Maybe it was just jitters from having to perform in front of one of the best rotations in professional baseball, or maybe he just didn't have his good stuff, but either way what Maurer did was steaming pile worthy. Maurer worked just four innings giving up 5 runs (4 earned) on 6 hits, walked 2, and struckout 3.

Brian Moran relieved Maurer after he was unable to record a single out in the fifth inning and had allowed two baserunners. Moran allowed one of Maurer's baserunners to score (damn you)and then went on to throw two innings of scoreless relief. Moran gave up nothing on 3 hits, walked no one, and struckout 2.

Steve Garrison took over in the seventh inning and threw two innings of solid relief giving up nothing on nothing, walked two, and struckout 1. For his effort Garrison was awarded the win after the offense retook the lead late.

Stephen Pryor pitched a shutdown ninth inning to secure his second save of the year.

The General's offense collected 12 hits and 3 walks to score their 7 runs. They were 4 for 14 with runners in scoring position and stranded 8

CF Denny Almonte, G_Money's favorite minor leaguer, in the leadoff spot had a good night at the plate going 2/5 with 2 2-baggers, a ribbie, and a K.

SS Nick Franklin in the two-hole had his third consecutive multi-hit game of the year going 2/4 with a homerun, a run scored, a ribbie, a K, and a sacrifice.

3B Francisco Martinez in the three-hole went 1/4 with a walk.

LF Chih-Hsien Chiang in the four-hole went 1/4 with a run scored and 2 K's.

1B Rich Poythress in the five-hole went 1/3 with 2 runs scored, a walk, and a K.

Big DH Josepth Dunigan in the six-hole went 2/4 with a run scored, a homerun, and 3 ribbies.

RF Johermyn Chavez in the seven-hole went 2/3 with a run scored, a walk, and a K.

Eight-holer C Ralph Henriquez went 1/3 with a double, a run scored, 2 ribbies, and a Sac Fly.

HIGH DESERT MAVERICKS E=MC^2, LANCASTER JETHAWKS 2

... Ho-lee Shit!

The Mavericks sent James Gillheeney to the mound last night and Gillheeney responded with his best outting of the year (har har har). Gillheeney went five innings giving up nothing on 1 hit, walked 3, struckout 8... EIGHT!, and uncorked a wild one for his first win of the year.

Taylor Stanton took over in the sixth and put in three solid innings of work. Stanton gave up 1 run on 3 hits, walked 1, and struckout 3.

Jandy Sena, who I had thought would be in the rotation came on to pitch the ninth inning and gave up a run to make the game close (har har har). Sena's final line was 1 run on 1 hit, 1 walk, and 2 K's.

Ok, give me a second to gather my wits here. This was the first true HD blowout of the year (and I will be a lot that it won't be their last), and I need to learn to pace myself...

Ok, the Maverick offense went nuclear last night as they collected 21 hits and 4 walks to plate their 16 runs. They were a gaudy 9 for 18 with runners in scoring position and stranded 8.

So, was this an "environment win", or did the kids do all the damage on their own? Well, let's see. It was 75 degrees, so the air was a just a tad heavier than it will be in the summer, and the wind was whisping in from LF at 6 mph. I'd have to say that the environment did little to aid the offense tonight.

So, how do you explain 4 homeruns, and, 8 bloody doubles??? Easy! Like I've been saying, this group of kids can freakin' hit, and they are on a mission to make to me look good!

8 doubles? Wow!

For the third game in a row Jack Marder hit in the leadoff spot, but rather than play catcher he hit in the DH spot last night. Marder, again, brutalized the opposing pitchers to the tune of going 5/6 with 2 doubles, 3 runs scored, 2 ribbies, and a K.

SS Brad Miller in the two-hole went 3/4 with a double and a homerun, scored 2 runs, drove in 4, and walked 2 times.

1B Mickey Wiswall in the four-hole went 1/4 with a ribbie, a walk, and a K.

C John Hicks in the five-hole went 0/4 with a run scored, a ribbie, a walk, and a K.

RF Kevin Rivers in the six-hole went 1/5 with a run scored, a homerun, 2 ribbies, and 2 K's.

Seven-holer 3B Steven Proscia went 2/5 with 2 doubles and a run scored.

LF Mike McGee in the eight-hole went 4/5 with 4 runs scored, and 3 doubles.

CF Julio Morban in the nine-hole went 4/5 with 4 runs scored, 2 homeruns, and 4 ribbies.

10 hits, 9 runs, 5 doubles, and 2 homeruns out of the 7-8-9 positions in the batting order... un-****ing-believable!

CLINTON LUMBERKINGS 7, BURLINGTON BEES 1

Jordan Shipers started for the LumberKings tonight and was a couple of hits away from an extremely fantastic outting. I guess he'll just have to settle for "very solid". Shipers worked 5 innings (limited because he is piggy-backing with Stephen Landazuri) giving up 1 freakin' unearned run on 7 hits, walked no one, struckout 4, and uncorked a wild one to pick up his first win on the year.

Stephen Landazuri took over in the sixth and threw four innings of runless, and hitless baseball. Landazuri gave up nothing on nothing, walked no one, and struckout 4 to pick up the long save.

The LumberKing offense collected a season high (har har har) 12 hits, 1 walk, and a Jean Acevedo plunking to score their 7 runs. They were 4 for 10 with runners in scoring position and stranded 5.

Two-holer 2B Jean Acevedo went 1/3 with a ribbie, a K, and those sore ribs.

3B Ramon Morla in the four-hole went 2/3 with a run scored, a ribbie, and a sac fly.

LF-RF Guillermo Pimentel in the five-hole went 2/4 with a double and a homerun, scored a run, drove in 2, and struckout 1 time.

1B Jharmidy De Jesus in the six-hole went 2/4 with 2 doubles, scored 2 runs, and struckout 2 times.

C Steven Baron in the seven-hole went 1/3 with a double, a run scored, and a ribbie.

SS-LF Dillon Hazlett in the eight-hole went 2/4 with a run scored and a K.

DH Michael Dowd in the nine-hole went 0/3 with a run scored, a walk, and a K.

Piss on the fire and call in the dogs. I'm outta here!

Lonnie

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,722 posts
Awesome night all the way around. How many years since the organization went 5 - 0? Adam Moore seems to be alternating between catcher and DH, with Quiroz catching when he is not behind the plate. Limonta and Jimenez are sharing first base, and both are splitting DH with the catchers. L-Rod sat today, so the bench infielder could get a start and Savastino went 1 for 3. Bench outfielder, Ford has yet to see an inning or AB. Because Moore is on the MLB DH, he does not count against the Rainiers roster.

Snow will start tomorrow, but I have no idea who the fifth starter is. Colorado Springs travels to Tacoma for the second series of the season. What I like the best about Moore is the base runners he has thrown out. The Bees must have thought he was too hurt to throw anyone out, and were running like crazy on him. It didn't work.

Trayvon Robinson is an awesome defensive center fielder. He has both range and a tremendous arm. Let's see, with Ichiro, Saunders, Gutierrez, Carp, Figgins, Wells, Peguero and Robinson the Mariners have more than enough outfielders for two MLB teams. All it takes is Mike Wilson to make three complete outfields.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

Logan Kensing, Rainiers bullpen.

Jesus Montero, trimmed down and ready to go.

Sorry, Ji-Man, but really? Maybe when you get off the restricted list, Montero will have been promoted. 

Carson is doing a fine job, but Logan has been dominant and deserves recognition.

everblue77

everblue77
  • Members
  • 128 posts
I've watched Miller in oh, maybe 6-7 games last year in Clinton. He was the spitting image of Ichiro. He was leaving the box and heading down the path before ever finishing his swing. This year...wow. He is crushing the ball. Frankilin is also on a roll. What!?...Two SS candidates that can hit. Oh, never mind, they're only in A+ and AA....

I just can't seem to get behind the Clinton squad this year... though I am interested in Hazlet, Pimentel and Blash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users