Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

04/05 Mariners Minor League Report

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,831 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?
Hello and welcome to the first minor league daily recap of the year! I'd love to say that last night I listened in on all of the games through the internet, but that would be a blatent lie. I.. um.... fell asleep early last night...

Tacoma dropped a squeeker last night to Salt Lake. Jackson starter Andrew Carraway dominated and picked up the win with a strong six inning effort in a close game. High Desert won in High Desert style by bludgeoning the opposing pitcher. Clinton starter Cameron Hobson was definately "off" as he barely made it through three innings in an ugly loss.

Here's something new that I'm adding this year; a pitcher and position player of the day for the system!

Pitcher of the Day: Andrew Carraway
Position Player of the Day: Stefen Romero

Our man Vidya has a report of his experience on Opening Day at Tacoma

Let's Rock!

=============================

TACOMA RAINERS 2, SALT LAKE BEES 3

Tacoma starter Matt Fox, a guy that I actually considered more of a meat puppet than anything else, threw for just three innings, but pitched well just to spite me. Fox worked 3 innings giving up 2 runs (1 earned) on 5 hits, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts, and he uncorked a wild one.

Cesar Jimenez relieved Fox and pitched well over the course of 2 and 2/3 innings. Jimenez gave up nothing on 1 hit, walked no one, and struckout 4.

Josh Kinney relieved Cesar with a runner on first and two outs. Kinney was saved from giving up a run by an incredible throw and play at the plate. Kinney ended up going two and a third innings giving up 1 run on 2 hits, walked 1, and struckout 2.

Sean Henn pitched the ninth inning very well giving up nothing on nothing, walked no one, and struckout 2.

The Rainier offense was pretty much not there. Able to collect just 5 hits and no walks, it isn't at all surprising that they were held to just 2 runs. They were a collective 0/4 with runners in scoring position, stranding 5.

It's a good thing that Trayvon Robinson made that great throw from center to get that runner out, but cause other than a sacrifice bunt he didn't do much at all... You know, maybe I shouldn't waste electricity by yapping about the guys that didn't produce and instead focus on the three guys that did.

RF Carlos Peguero in the four-hole had a good evening going 2/4 with a triple (how does a guy that big generate that much speed?) and a run scored. Carlos FAILED to strikeout even once on the evening!

C Guillermo Quiroz came in as a pinch hitter late and went 1/1 to lead the team in batting AVG, OBP, and SLG!

LF Mike Wilson connected for his first homerun of the year.

1B Johan Limonta went 2/3 with... nothing.

-----------------------------

JACKSON GENERALS 3, BIRMINGHAM STALLIONS 2

Wow, what a night for Danny Hultzen, James Paxton, and Taijuan Walker! All three got to sit on their butts and watch Andrew Carraway carve up the Barons over six innings! Carraway gave up nothing on 2 hits, walked 1, and struckout 6 in what can only be called a successful season opener.

A good morning giggler is the boxscore from the game. According to it, Carraway threw just 35 pitches in his six innings of work, and of those 35 pitches 31 were strikes....

Bobby LaFromboise took over in the seventh and worked a quiet inning giving up nothing on nothing, walked no one, and struckout 1.

I'm happy to say that Yoervis Medina took over in the eighth... Happy because this probably means he isn't in the rotation and someone that I like a lot will be. Anyway, the Funky Cold One worked the one inning giving up nothing on nothing, walked 1, and struckout 2.

Stephen Pryor took over in the ninth and made the game very freakin' interesting. a groundout was followed by a walk, and then a double put runners on second and third. A strikeout lead many to believe that the shutout could be maintained, but a groundball single erased that as it brought two runs in to put the score at 3-2. Thankfully, the next batter groundout to end the game. Can you believe that Pryor actually got a save for his work?

The General offense was generally MIA. Generally... The team accounted for 7 hits and 3 walks to score their 3 runs. They were a pathetic 1/13 with runners in scoring position.

A couple of things happened in the game that was kind of predictable. First, Nick Franklin committed an error, and then Danny Carroll stole a base.

Speaking of CF Daniel Carroll, the kid hit in the leadoff hole and went 0/4 with a run scored, a walk, a stolen base, and a strikeout.

SS Nick Franklin in the two-hole kind of made up for his boo-boo on defense by going 2/3 with a run scored and a strikeout.

3B Francisco Martinez in the three-hole went 1/4 with a run scored and a K.

1B Rich Poythress in the five-hole went 1/4 with a double and 2 big ribbies.

Big Joey Dunigan (DH) in the six-hole went 1/4 with a double.

C Jesus Sucre in the eight-hole went 1/3 with a walk.

HIGH DESERT MAVERICKS 9, LANCASTER JETHAWKS 7

Anthony Fernandez got to open the season for the Mavericks and had a rather "meh" type of start. Fernandez went five innings giving up 3 runs on 2 hits (HR), walked 1, struckout 1, committed a balk, and plunked a JetHawk. Still though, when he left he was in line to get the W because the offense was getting ugly on the JetHawk pitchers.

Jose Jimenez took over in the sixth and dropped a steaming pile on the mound. Jimenez was able to record just two outs before he was yanked. Meanwhile, he gave up 4 runs on 2 hits (HR), walked 1, and struckout 1. Jimenez had a blown save go down on his permanent record for his effort.

Austin Hudson took over for Jimenez and got a quick groundout to end the stupidity. Hudson went on to pitch the seventh inning and showed some attitude by striking out the side. Hudson's final line was an inning and a third pitched, giving up nothing on nothing, walked no one, and struckout 3. For his work, the offense rallied back and gave him the win.

Tyler Burgoon took over in the eighth and faced the minimum getting a groundout, flyout, lineout.

Interestingly, Jonathan Arias took over in the ninth in a save situation. I say interestingly because I would have thought that either Burgoon, Carson Smith, or even Willy Kessler would be the team's closer. Anyway, Arias gave up a quick single, and then a swinging strikeout for the first out of the inning. The next batter hit a dribbler back to Arias who turned it into a double play to end the game.

Yaa!

When I did my roster work on the Mavericks I mentioned that the infield for High Desert may be the more interesting in the sytem, and last night they made me look like the Great Karnak! The offense in general racked up 12 hits (7 for extras) and 4 walks to score their 9 runs. They were 4 for 14 with runners in scoring position and stranded just 6.

I had to look twice at the boxscore to make sure I was reading it right. Yep, it's correct. C Jack Marder, hitting in the LEADOFF SPOT went 1/5 with 2 runs scored and 2 K's.

SS Brad Miller in the 2 hole went 2/5 with 3 runs scored, a 3-bagger, a 4-bagger, and 3 ribbies.

2B Stefen Romero in the three-hole went 4/5 with a double and a homerun, and scored a run.

DH John Hicks in the five hole went 2/3 with 2 doubles, scored a run, and walked one time.

RF James Jones in the six-hole went 1/3 with a ribbie and a walk.

3B Mario Martinez in the seven-hole went 0/2 with a run scored and a walk.

LF Kevin Rivers in the eight-hole went 1/3 with a walk.

CF Julio Morban, bringing up the rear, went 1/3 with a double, a run scored, and laid down a sacrifice.

CLINTON LUMBERKINGS 2, BURLINGTON BEES 8

Ouch...

LumberKing starter Cameron Hobson had a game that I am sure that he will try to forget as soon as possible. Going just three innings, Hobson gave up 6 runs on 4 hits (HR), walked 3, struckout 3, and uncorked a wild one.

Stephen Kohlscheen took over for Hobson in the fourth and pitched four outstanding innings in relief. Kohlscheen gave up 1 unearned run on 3 hits, walked 1, and struckout 3.

Tim Griffin pitched the final two frames giving up 1 run on 2 hits, walked no one, and struckout 2.

The LumberKing offense was pretty much throttled by the Bees pitchers. Scraping together 6 hits (2 for extras) and 2 walks will limit how many runs you score. They were 1/4 with runners in scoring position and stranded 4.

The top three players in the batter order hardly showed up, and not at all on offense. Four-holer DH Jabari Blash went 1/4 with a run scored and a triple to go with his 2 K's.

3B Ramon Morla in the five-hole went 1/2 with a run scored, a double, a ribbie, and a sac fly.

1B Jharmidy De Jesus in the five-hole went 1/2 with 2 walks.... Wha?

Hitless wonder C Steven Baron in the seven-hole actually had the only multi-hit outting on the team. Baron went 2/3 with a ribbie and a K.

Piss on the fire and call in the dogs. I'm outta here!

Lonnie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users