Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Opening Day

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,532 posts
Stupid computers! I started two threads on tonight's big game in Tacoma, and neither made it to reality.

Despite the 3 to 2 loss, it was a great night. I talked to Mrs. Peguero tonight after the game, and that was the best part. We talked about Japan, and the disappointment of being the last guy sent back to Tacoma, but the over-all mood was very pleasant. Tacoma is not the DR, and it certainly is not Peoria, but it is now home for Carlos and friends.

We even talked about Jason Vargas and how he has so many family members at each game. We talked about Japan and how expensive it is. Like $100 dollars for a meal. No wonder the per diem was so high. She said it was nice, a really great trip, but not one she would like to repeat.

The Angels organization is for real. Garrett Richards is for real. He showed he belonged in MLB tonight and I wish he would go there ASAP and leave the Rainiers alone. Matt Fox, a Red Sox reject started for the Rainiers. He was OK, but the Bees were not fooled. He did keep it close, but he was clearly not in the same league as Richards. No one else at the game seemed to be in the same league as Richards. Mike Wilson had a home run and Carlos Peguero had a triple and the Rainiers got two runs out of that, but no more, hence the loss.

The best baseball news is that Adam Moore starter the game as the catcher. Yes, he is healthy and the Mariners are now locked in at the catcher position for a while no matter what anyone says. The outfield looks good no mater what Trayvon Robinson's box score says. The Rainiers started Robinson in CF, Peguero in RF and Mike Wilson in LF. That's an awesome outfield at any level.

The best part about the weather is that it didn't rain. The worst part is that many of the fans did not wear their winter gear as it was nasty cold. They were leaving the park in droves by the eighth inning. I was glad I had been training since January by being outside for hours in the cold and not freezing to death. Yes, I dressed warm enough. Four layers on top and two on the bottom, that is my formula for success at a Rainiers game in April.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

Logan Kensing, Rainiers bullpen.

Jesus Montero, trimmed down and ready to go.

Sorry, Ji-Man, but really? Maybe when you get off the restricted list, Montero will have been promoted. 

Carson is doing a fine job, but Logan has been dominant and deserves recognition.

topher65

topher65

Drinks beer... Lives in Hawaii... I hate him...

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
Great write up Vidya......but I have to contest 1 thing. $100 per meal is a huge huge stretch. They must have been eating gourmet dinners. You can go to many good restaurants and spend $15-$20.....but $100 per person is not the case.
I got a full slate of Hawaiian adopt-a-sons......and 2 happen to be catchers on the same team!!

Starting off with:

Charles Ka'alekahi - Currently a starting pitcher with the Clinton Lumber Kings.
3 wins and 1 loss on the season with a 4.85 ERA, 26 IP, 20 SO vs. 12BB

Next is the catching duo with the Everett Aquasox:

Christian (Keanu) Carmichael - Catcher
.302 AVG, .362 OBP, .434 SLG, .796 OPS, 4 doubles and 1 HR, 2 RBI

Carlton Tanabe - Catcher
Everett Stats: .261 AVG, .306 OBP, .348 SLG, .654 OPS, 2 doubles 1 HR, 5 RBI

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,532 posts

Great write up Vidya......but I have to contest 1 thing. $100 per meal is a huge huge stretch. They must have been eating gourmet dinners. You can go to many good restaurants and spend $15-$20.....but $100 per person is not the case.

That's probably true. Tokyo is a large metro city like NYC. Their schedule is tight, they have a large per diem, begging to be spent, so the likely ate in restaurants at the hotel or very near by. Still, unless it was $100 for both of them, it seems very high to me.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

Logan Kensing, Rainiers bullpen.

Jesus Montero, trimmed down and ready to go.

Sorry, Ji-Man, but really? Maybe when you get off the restricted list, Montero will have been promoted. 

Carson is doing a fine job, but Logan has been dominant and deserves recognition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users