Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Best quotes on the Pineda/Montero trade

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Jokestar57

Jokestar57

Comedy isn't pretty...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 865 posts

Wouldn't it be cool if we feel the same way about his talent level early this season?! Imagine the feeling: a budding young superstar batting cleanup instead of Miguel Olivo.

Miguel, I LOVE your hustle and dedication to the game, but you should never bat higher than 7th, or in a bad lineup 6th.

Just goes to show you how bad the M's bats were last year. :laughing:

Edited by Jokestar, 12 February 2012 - 11:26 PM.

The opinions, thoughts and content put forth are not necessarily those of Mariner Central.

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 697 posts

Some Yankee fans are still feeling slighted in the trade. Here's just a few quotes from LoHud today...

in this day and age with drug testing montero's natural power is going to stand out from almost every other player.

This one got me thinking a little bit. When I think of Montero's build, age and MiL production, the most similar current players I can think of are Miguel Cabrera and Manny Ramirez. In their early 20s, I remember, they were both naturally strong, athletic, incredibly skilled players. Manny never did care about defense and was properly slotted in the COF by the Indians. I remember Cabrera coming up as a not-really-good-but-not-crazy-horrible 3B that the Marlins bounced around too much because they had Lowell blocking him. The only reason he ended up moving to 1B with the Tiggers -- I mean Tigers -- was because he put on a lot of bad weight over the previous 2 seasons and became well... crazy horrible.

I (and many others) believe that Montero indeed has that kind of talent. Here's to hoping it comes throughPosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Dag Gummit, 14 February 2012 - 09:26 AM.

AAP Time:
Nick Franklin & Brad Miller - I'm calling it. By the time they retire, this graduated duo will break the MLB record for the most Double Plays turned as a team. That's what coming up together and being awesome together for your entire careers on the same team will do for ya.

Roenis Elias - LH SP that has thus passed his first "rough-road ahead" sniff test -- get AA hitters out with meh stuff. He isn't electric, but he's certainly interesting enough to keep an eye on and follow because he's only gotten better results while climbing the ladder.

DocMilo

DocMilo

Tequila Sunriser

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 7,920 posts
Salk found this tidbit from the NY media and posted it on Cameron's Twitter page.

Joe Girardi was quoted:

“It’s always good to look at a guy with a power arm who is on your side,’’ Girardi said. “I am anxious to see him throw some changeups.’’

The article talks about how Pineda is fighting for a rotation spot, how he's come to camp 10 pounds heavier than he was last year and that he needs a third pitch. Typical NY Post media I guess. Talking about what the Yankees gave in the deal the Post said,

Today, the Yankees will get their first real look at Pineda, whose cost was stud catching/designated hitter prospect Jesus Montero.

LOL. Montero was a super stud while Pineda is a back end arm without a third pitch. Just wait until the NY Media realizes that the M's got Noesi in the deal, too. If Noesi has a better year than Pineda they'll have to bring the whole Seinfeld cast together just to do a line about that Montero trade.

lisa mariner

lisa mariner

Compass Rosy

• Members
  • 2,693 posts
Even prior to the news about Michael, they have been debating "the trade" 24/7 on LoHud...

There are a couple who are ABSOLUTELY convinced that Montero is going to be a Hall of Famer (no joke) and, wouldn't have traded him for anything or anybody (let alone, according to them, a young unproven pitcher with only two pitches). They have been pleading from the beginning for him to start in AAA - to develop his change, increase his strength and velocity AND increase his years of control.

Cashman screwed up here. He had Kuroda in the bag, Andy nibbling at the line, Noesi ready to step in and Yu there for the taking and he traded Piazza instead.

There are others who liked the trade. They point to the fact that Cashman has offered Montero multiple times and that Girardi never saw him as a catcher (and, with aging Jeter, Alex, Tex - the DH slot was a bit crowded already). They like the fact that they got a young, cost-controlled arm.

And the there are the majority who hated to see Montero go but, are resigned to the fact that Pineda is theirs now and are ready to stand behind him through thick and thin.

“Wet eyes, but didn’t cry or break down. Clearly upset.”
I’m sure the booing a-holes didn’t help. Welcome to Yankee fanland, kid. They’re your pal until you’re down. That’s when they do their best kick-in-the-face move.

And then there are those who just supply humor - this gave me a chuckle...

It gets even worse: I’m reading reports that Montero learned Shinto meditation techniques while in Japan and then spent the whole flight home visualizing hitting dingers.

You can imagine the chaos that ensued when Michael not only got lit up for the first time this spring but, shortly after the game, reports emerged that he would be having and MRI on his shoulder (670 posts on a ST game thread!).

I really hope Michael has a complete and speedy recuperation ~even though he's a Yankee now~ I'll still be rooting for him ('cept when he faces the M's, of course).

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts
:cpoint:

Thanks Lisa, I always appreciate how you share your gleanings from the web communities of other teams.

It's interesting how things change over time. In the immediate aftermath of the trade people here were so excited to get a major, young MOTO bat like Montero that we thought he would slip right in and become a major offensive force in the lineup. Perhaps he will, and I certainly expect that before too long he definitely will, but he still has a ton of experience to gain before becoming the Monster many expect.

Yankee fans are bewildered at the turn of events, especially after Pineda's troubles, Mariners fans are giddy with their shiny new toy, and we all need to realize that two or three months from now things may look entirely different, and a year or two from now both teams are likely to fully appreciate what they received.
---------------------

There's an old saying, "The Proof Is In The Pudding."

Mariners 2012: It's Puddin' Time
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Posted Image

Dag Gummit

Dag Gummit
  • Members
  • 697 posts
You know what? That is the very type of post that seriously needs to be preserved around here, DaddyO.

It's a reality checker on the trade's perspectives at the moment. I doubt anyone would have wanted to trade the player from either team away just for the sake of making a trade. Rather, in order to make it, both Z and Cashman had to look at what they had in excess and what they felt they direly needed.

Of course, as it looks right now, it does seem possible that Zduriencik pulled ANOTHER fast one over the Yankees (flashback to the Lee trade). I can only imagine the New York-vs.-Seattle uprising that will ensue if Pineda ends up missing the season (or more) due to a major shoulder injury.
AAP Time:
Nick Franklin & Brad Miller - I'm calling it. By the time they retire, this graduated duo will break the MLB record for the most Double Plays turned as a team. That's what coming up together and being awesome together for your entire careers on the same team will do for ya.

Roenis Elias - LH SP that has thus passed his first "rough-road ahead" sniff test -- get AA hitters out with meh stuff. He isn't electric, but he's certainly interesting enough to keep an eye on and follow because he's only gotten better results while climbing the ladder.

lisa mariner

lisa mariner

Compass Rosy

• Members
  • 2,693 posts
Thanks, DaddyO.

I'm not sure why I'm drawn to some of the other sites...

I guess, much as it hurts sometimes, it's to get another perspective on our team. In my years of reading/participating in other teams' forums, it's been my observation that NO one is as hard on a team as it's own fans. Yes, even the Yanks and Red Sox and Angels fans complain about stuff, sometimes seemingly even more than M's fans. It's kinda like knowing you need to clean house and then watching Hoarders and thinking ... "nah, this place is pristine!"

Anyway, I've worked long and hard to inch my way into some of these other communities by being a good guest ...
politely chiming and correcting misperceptions and/or calling out interesting/important info about our guys. Believe it or not, I've earned a modicum of respect and am, occasionally, called on for my opinion and/or knowledge of all things Mariner. I do my best to Represent well.

Even though I'm known as "Compass Rosy" elsewhere ... deep down, I'll always be Lisa Mariner.

:cheer:

lisa mariner

lisa mariner

Compass Rosy

• Members
  • 2,693 posts

Quiet night on the LoHud… oh yeah, the Mariners are off tonight.

:)

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts
The Team That Yankee Fans Love To Hate.

ThassOK. It's kinda fun. They are now learning some of the joy that baseball fans have had for nearly a century, only the Ill Will was directed at them.
---------------------

There's an old saying, "The Proof Is In The Pudding."

Mariners 2012: It's Puddin' Time
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Posted Image

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 10,734 posts
Let's see, current AL standings are:

:sea2: 6 - 5

:nyy: 5 - 5

:bos: 4 - 6

The Yankees are catching up, but still remain a half game behind. What happens if the Mariners edge out the Yankees for the fifth postseason spot? Their only consolation would be that they finished ahead of the Red Sox.

:o Oh, the horror! :yahoo:

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

NWSportsGeek

NWSportsGeek
  • Members
  • 724 posts
  • Interests:Baseball. Astronomy. Science. Photography. Reading. Family time.
Jesus Montero might not be hitting like he was last season after getting the call to the big leagues but he has shown a LOT of positives and why this team dealt Pineda to get him. He uses the entire field and seems to be very patient. Even if he hasn't taken a walk just yet. He is going to be a very good bat and a cornerstone for this club.

Adopt-A-Players:

Jack Marder, C - High Desert (A+)

Daniel Paolini, IF - Clinton (A)

Patrick Kivlehan, 3B - Everett (SS-A)

"Life is precious and time is a key element. Let's make every moment count and help those who have a greater need than our own." --Rogers Hornsby

The Outfield Grass

@outfieldgrass

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre
  • Home Run Boosters
  • 6,152 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
to revisit a Larry Stone Piece dated March 24th, titled Who won the Montero-Pineda trade? It's way too early to tell
I think it's safe to say, even without the DL stink for Pineda, that the M's got the Yanks again. They hosed down the Bombers with the late switch~a~roo in the Cliff Lee deal. They delt Lueke for to the Rays for Jaso. Lueke came over with Blake Beavan, Smoak and infielder Matt Lawson, whom I believe is retired after being trade for Aaron Laffey who the M's cut ties with. Jose Campos, who I watched in the short A NW League, who I really liked, went along with Pineda. It's too early to tell on Campos. Hector Noesi came over with Montero, and at this point, pitching half his games at the Safe, is a good one.

All in all these moves have worked out.

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players:

Victor "Filthy" Sanchez @ AA Jackson
DJ Petterson @ A High Desert
Luis Liberato @ Everett or Pulaski ?

Former adopt-a-players:

Mike Zunino - In the show
Tom "Clear Head" Wilhelmsen -  In the show
Johan Limonta - AA San Antonio of the Padres System

Greg Halman RIP

victorsanchez.jpg
Victor "Filthy" Sanchez