Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Best quotes on the Pineda/Montero trade

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,672 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

An interviewer asked Montero what 2012 had in store for him. Jesus answered:

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

Hold it... That might have been the wrong Jesus.

My bad.

:peace:

I've been wanting to use a religious angle w/r/t Montero since the day that the trade was first announced, but haven't done so because I didn't want to offend any of you heathen bastards. Screw it.

The headline that I wanted to see was: Zduriencik brings a little Jesus to Seattle!

Of course, that statement would be patently false because there is nothing little about Jesus...

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,269 posts
I'm just wishing for a little blasphemy whenever Montero smacks a home run. Forget the "Funk Blast".
I want the jumbotron to flash: "For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours."

Yeah. I'm going to hell.
Adopt-a-Players:
Forrest Snow - Suspended for the first 50 games of the season. (Come on, Forrest. Just because it's legal in Washington...)
No invite to Spring Training. Not assigned to any team. Contract still owned by the M's, but effectively out of baseball for now.
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP
2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - took his MLB .250/.296/.431/.727 and MiLB .305/.383/.508/.892 statlines and went to play in Korea.
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball.
Mike Morse - Now playing for the Giants.
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 04/02/2014

wufners

wufners
  • Moderators
  • 2,044 posts

I'm just wishing for a little blasphemy whenever Montero smacks a home run. Forget the "Funk Blast".
I want the jumbotron to flash: "For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours."

Yeah. I'm going to hell.

"You said it, man. Nobody ****s with the Jesus."
Posted Image
That's spelled: Zduriencik

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,744 posts
Jesus Montero, on how well known Seattle is in Venezuela:

"Now they know more about Seattle because Felix is on the team, now I am on the team, Franklin Gutierrez too. People know a lot about Seattle. Now it's going to be better because we are going to win."

You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

=============================

Jokestar57

Jokestar57

Comedy isn't pretty...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 860 posts

Jesus Montero, on how well known Seattle is in Venezuela:

Gotta like the kids attitude. LOL

The opinions, thoughts and content put forth are not necessarily those of Mariner Central.

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 10,651 posts
Yes, every baseball player I've talked to at Tacoma loves the Northwest. It seems that once they're here, they all love it, even if it has nothing to do with the big trees, mountains, and moderate weather. If a free agent has enough confidence in himself, he will know that he is the player that will turn the franchise into a winner, it doesn't already have to have been to the postseason. If you don't have the ego, you don't belong in the game.

OK, it's also about all the new friends they make, about maintaining the positive attitude necessary to compete at the highest level of any professional sport, and not upsetting your coaches, fellow players, and fans. Players with bad attitudes never reach their full potential, but it's also true that it takes more than a good attitude to reach that potential. Finally, it's also true that a player with six years of team control would be crazy to say anything negative about his new team.

What I do see is that Montero will fit in nicely the other young players, and give us one more model for all the young Venezuelans we are trying to sign as free agents. That's not bad, but I will miss Michael. Pineda is a gem of a person, and a great baseball player.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,744 posts
"Mid-January would be a good time for a vacation I said. The hot stove action was behind us and the big pre-ST push for the remaining free agents was still weeks away I said. WTF was I thinking? Now all I have it more articles about the M's finances. Stupid Geoff, stupid Geoff, stupid Geoff...", muttering patron overheard in hotel bar in parts unknown, as he bangs his head into the bar-top over and over again.
You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts

"Mid-January would be a good time for a vacation I said. The hot stove action was behind us and the big pre-ST push for the remaining free agents was still weeks away I said. WTF was I thinking? Now all I have it more articles about the M's finances. Stupid Geoff, stupid Geoff, stupid Geoff...", muttering patron overheard in hotel bar in parts unknown, as he bangs his head into the bar-top over and over again.

:cpoint:

I felt like Geoff until I got home. When the Montero news broke, we lost power for days and didnt' get internet back until yesterday late morning.

Then, in a rare event I have to spend all of today hanging in Bellevue while our car is being serviced. Had them drop me off at the Bellevue library so I could catch up some more on Mariners news via public computers. Ten minutes after I jump on, their computers go out and don't come back on while I'm there. I only had time to see the breaking news that Fielder was about to sign with Detroit, and then I'm out of commission again until I get home about 7 pm.

I go ALL offseason agonizing over the M's every single day, then when in January FINALLY something happens...TWICE...and I am unable to participate live...BOTH TIMES!

How spoiled we are in the Internet Age!
---------------------

There's an old saying, "The Proof Is In The Pudding."

Mariners 2012: It's Puddin' Time
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Posted Image

phredmojo

phredmojo

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 2,720 posts

:cpoint:

I felt like Geoff until I got home. When the Montero news broke, we lost power for days and didnt' get internet back until yesterday late morning.

Then, in a rare event I have to spend all of today hanging in Bellevue while our car is being serviced. Had them drop me off at the Bellevue library so I could catch up some more on Mariners news via public computers. Ten minutes after I jump on, their computers go out and don't come back on while I'm there. I only had time to see the breaking news that Fielder was about to sign with Detroit, and then I'm out of commission again until I get home about 7 pm.

I go ALL offseason agonizing over the M's every single day, then when in January FINALLY something happens...TWICE...and I am unable to participate live...BOTH TIMES!

How spoiled we are in the Internet Age!

Posted Image
RIP Ichidman51............say hello to wildman and Ray_Oyler_fan...you will be missed my friend

csiems

csiems
  • Members
  • 9 posts
Not specifically about the trade, but Sickels did a prospect retrospective detailing how many knocks Jorge Posada took for his defense (too big, only threw out 20% of runners, etc). This may explain why the Yankees might be more comfortable with Montero behind the plate than other teams would be.

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts

Posted Image

Well, during the power failure we were unable to charge our phones, and even the one morning they had power our cell service was frequently not working. The best I could do then was get to the front page of the Seattle Times to see that there were a WHOLE lotta people in the same boat as me.

But even so, for budget reasons we have to go with the smallest data plan, so I have to limit my use of the internet when our home internet is out or I am out of the house. Even then, who am I kidding. Trying to read and navigate the internet on a tiny little screen is no fun at all, nearly impossible for me.

Edited by DaddyO, 26 January 2012 - 01:02 PM.

---------------------

Posted Image

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,744 posts

"He come to me and say wherever you go, anything you do, I am going to do," Olivo said of Montero. "I tell him I am open, I am going to help you out. If you listen to me you are going to do it the good way. I like to go early to the field (Olivo is always the first to get to the clubhouse in Peoria arriving usually between 5:00 and 5:30). I told him my routine, he wants to do it. I am going to help him because he is a good hitter. He is young, he is the future for Seattle being the top catcher in baseball. I see him that way. He already has the bat, but he needs to get the defense."

lisa mariner

lisa mariner

Compass Rosy

• Members
  • 2,692 posts
Jesus on Felix Hernandez's reputation back in his home town...

"Here, Felix is The King. In Venezuela he is God."

lisa mariner

lisa mariner

Compass Rosy

• Members
  • 2,692 posts
Brian Cashman, once they settled on Noesi in the deal...

"You know, Jack, I've got half my guys here ready to kill me."

Jack's response, "I know the feeling.

Mariner Analyst

Mariner Analyst
  • Contributors
  • 403 posts
I'm surprised that no one else has already posted this one, so I'll go ahead and do it ...

Yankees GM Brian Cashman said via conference call with the New York writers following the official announcement of the deal:

"Jesus may very well be the best player I've ever traded, and I've been doing this a long time. He's a middle-of-the-lineup bat who is very gifted. He's a good kid and he's going to have a heckuva career. It's not easy to make these decisions."

Now for Cashman to say that Montero is the best player he's ever traded is quite a statement in context of some of the guys he's traded in the past -- Alfonso Soriano ... Mike Lowell ... Randy Johnson ... Kenny Lofton ... David Justice ... Ian Kennedy. Hopefully Cashman's right and Seattle has landed themselves an All Star and a centerpiece of this team for a long time to come.

MA

glmuskie

glmuskie
  • Members
  • 948 posts

I'll bet Baker let out some juicy quotes from his vacation. By the time he gets back, he'll be back to writing morally outraged pieces about how ownership needs to spend more money.

Shot called! Grizz you are the man. :cpoint:

Schuxu

Schuxu
  • Members
  • 2,224 posts
  • Interests:Baseball - Softball - Scoring
Curt Schilling on

The Yankees' acquisition of Michael Pineda from Seattle: "I'm still blown away by the Pineda trade. This kid is a No. 1, given the right pitching coach, over the next five or 10 years. I have a little experience with the trading of a young power arm. Sure, there was a second-half dropoff but that's very common with a young power arm. Putting him on that team with that offense . . . wow. There are maybe three or four guys in the big leagues that have that combination of stuff and size. It's an unbelievable coup for the Yankees."

http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1l4fbtgGz
GMF @ the Spot
MC Adoptee Denny Almonte

Schuxu

Schuxu
  • Members
  • 2,224 posts
  • Interests:Baseball - Softball - Scoring

But if you don't think Pineda can pitch at the front of a rotation, you're better off playing it out with King Felix. And Pineda is not a sure thing. He has an injury history (elbow and forearm stiffness, 2009), his mechanics are spotty (I'm not a big fan of pitchers reaching well behind the rubber with the baseball before getting to a loaded position), he still needs an effective off-speed pitch against lefthanders, and, at 260 pounds at age 23, he has added 70 pounds in five years.

"When I see a guy traded before the contract becomes an issue it makes me think they know something we don't know," the evaluator said. "That's what this trade makes me think. I think work ethic has been a question, but I think being in New York around guys like Sabathia and [Mariano] Rivera and some of the other influences in that clubhouse will be good for him. He can definitely help them win."

Read more: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1ljZiskQr

http://sportsillustr...p&sct=hp_t11_a2
GMF @ the Spot
MC Adoptee Denny Almonte

lisa mariner

lisa mariner

Compass Rosy

• Members
  • 2,692 posts
Some Yankee fans are still feeling slighted in the trade. Here's just a few quotes from LoHud today...

montero is going to be a super star hitter.

book it.

montero would likely be the yankees second best hitter behind cano this year.

I know you feel the pain of losing Pineda because I know the kind of pitcher Pineda is and how excited youíve been about him. (We were very lucky to end up with him.) Losing Montero is like a dagger through the soul for most of us. You are getting a superstar in the making. I happen to think heís a superstar already, by the way.

Iíve said this before: I donít think itís a coincidence that the people unruffled by this trade donít really have an appreciation for the level of hitter that has been given up. Of course, to them, they think that kind of hitter is replaceable.
Without blowing out your system for something remotely comparable and young, he is not replaceable, and perhaps not even under those conditions.

in this day and age with drug testing monteroís natural power is going to stand out from almost every other player.

what young player has more power than montero?

is there anyone?

There WAS room for Montero. You MAKE room for a hitter like that. Give me a break.

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts
Wouldn't it be cool if we feel the same way about his talent level early this season?! Imagine the feeling: a budding young superstar batting cleanup instead of Miguel Olivo.

Miguel, I LOVE your hustle and dedication to the game, but you should never bat higher than 7th, or in a bad lineup 6th.
---------------------

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users