Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Best quotes on the Pineda/Montero trade

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,831 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?
There are a lot of qoutes out there about the trade and I thought that it might be entertaining to gather them up and place them here. Please add to the list when you see something insightful/funny/whatever.

Lonnie

==========================================

From Larry Stone:

4, Nice comparison sent my way by Rich Boudet of our sports desk:

When Yankees traded Jay Buhner (1988): 32 games, 3 HRs, 14 RBIs
When Yankees traded Montero: 18 games, 4 HRs, 12 RBIs

I'm trying to reach Frank Costanza for a reaction...

Jokestar57

Jokestar57

Comedy isn't pretty...

• Home Run Boosters
  • 1,044 posts
Bone was the best trade Woody Woodruff ever made for Seattle. Too bad he was the GM for the Yankees at the time. :whistling:

The opinions, thoughts and content put forth are not necessarily those of Mariner Central.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,270 posts
Also I'm not really sure where to put this but here's the quote I guess

It is true that the Yankees tried to trade Montero on multiple occasions, but only for top-of-the-line pitching. They offered him in potential Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay deals, but would not include him for the likes of Gio Gonzalez and Mat Latos.

So Latos and Gonzalez they weren't willing to give up Montero for but we got him for Pineda. He was also in the Lee & Halladay trade rumors.

The Yankees think Jesus may be the second coming of Jorge, which made Friday's decision a very tough one.

Jorge Pasada was apart of a Yankee core that won 5 championship.....

The New York Yankees were crushed to trade Jesus Montero. The September glimmer that resembled some semblance of an in-his-prime Manny Ramirez had them as psyched up as their fans with each laser that shot off the 22-year-old's bat. Unlike many in the game, the Yankees believe Montero can catch in the majors and think he could very well become another Mike Piazza.

That is high high praise for a young guy to draw comparsion between Posada and Piazza I'm loving this deal so much.

Toomany10pins

Toomany10pins
  • Members
  • 644 posts
I love "the yankees were crushed" comment. Such utter BS is spewed from the yanks org.... sadly so many in the media buy their acting job. The yankeees are doing cartwheels for geting Pineda for only Montero and a spare part.

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,798 posts

I love "the yankees were crushed" comment. Such utter BS is spewed from the yanks org.... sadly so many in the media buy their acting job. The yankeees are doing cartwheels for geting Pineda for only Montero and a spare part.

Your sources in the Yankee organization are?
You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

=============================

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,798 posts
Jeff, Lookout Landing:

Pineda Leaving; Montero Arriving.

I can't get over the fact that the Mariners now have Justin Smoak and Jesus Montero. I didn't think that was allowed. Smoak, Montero and Dustin Ackley could potentially - potentially - form a dynamite offensive core. Not long ago that trio would've made baseball people lose their shit. Before the 2010 season - the last time Smoak was rated - Baseball America had Smoak as baseball's #13 prospect, Ackley as baseball's #12 prospect, and Montero as baseball's #4 prospect.

You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,831 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

Jeff, Lookout Landing:

Pineda Leaving; Montero Arriving.

Ya, I particularly liked that one!

Mariner Analyst

Mariner Analyst
  • Contributors
  • 414 posts
How about this Scooby Snack from John Manuel of Baseball America, who has followed Jesus Montero since he was 16 years old ...

"There's a small chance this guy does have a Mike Piazza career -- A bad defender, but it doesn't matter, because he was the best offensive catcher of his time. There's a chance this guy could be that. Montero can really flat-out hit. I've never had one person tell me he can't hit....He has a chance to be the Mariners' best hitter for the next decade.''

Source:
The Hot Stone League -- The Burning Question on Jesus Montero - 1/14/12

Edited by Mariner Analyst, 15 January 2012 - 04:01 PM.

wufners

wufners
  • Moderators
  • 2,044 posts
I thought Jeff at LL had another astute comment that's a true read on fans reactions to trading favorite players.
So Michael Pineda is leaving . . .
After having written about how much we all liked Pineda, he followed it with:

But keep in mind that Yankees fans felt the same way about Montero. Maybe to an even greater degree. Yankees fans ****in loved Jesus Montero. They'll miss the things they loved about Montero, and gain most of the things we loved about Pineda. We'll miss the things we loved about Pineda, and gain most of the things they loved about Montero.

I was feeling a little bummed about the trade yesterday. Not so much today. Now Montero is a Mariner and Pineda isn't (or almost isn't.) Time to get excited about what could be instead of what could have been. And if Montero had been in our system for the past 4 or 5 years, we'd be attached to and excited for him. And I betcha most of would hate the idea of trading away Jesus to the Yankees for Pineda.
That's spelled: Zduriencik

lisa mariner

lisa mariner

Compass Rosy

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
I've spent WAY too much time on a Yankee blog all weekend - where all are mourning Montero's loss, most recognize Pineda's potential and a few are furious.

a couple posts I enjoyed...

Good news, Montero miserists, we will get to see him extra-early, as the Mariners open the season with two games in Japan vs. the Oakland A’s.
Maybe we’ll see Montero hit a homer off of Gio Gonzalez Trevor Cahill Brett Anderson or Bartolo Colon!

There will be hits and there will be misses. I hope the fans on this blog give this trade at least a year to see if it works out–it may even take more time than that. My money says Pineda is a new Felix or Verlander–he’s got their stuff. Montero is likely another Edgar Martinez. Everybody wins.

Also, I finally collected my thoughts about The Trade

Edited by lisa mariner, 16 January 2012 - 12:47 AM.

lisa mariner

lisa mariner

Compass Rosy

• Members
  • 2,701 posts

January 15, 2012 at 9:51 pm
I just read a Seattle fan saying the Yankees got the more valuable player the Mariners got the more reliable one. Well put.

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,798 posts
I'll bet Baker let out some juicy quotes from his vacation. By the time he gets back, he'll be back to writing morally outraged pieces about how ownership needs to spend more money.

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,724 posts
I believe it is as even a deal as you can get, but impossible to rate at this point. The Yankees got the best player in Pineda, but the Mariners got two MLB ready players in Montero and Noesi. The Yankees received a lot of potential, but no guarantees in Campos. We'll soon learn how well Montero can catch, and how well he blends in with the other young players, but I'm betting he blends very well. I'm not betting on his catching ability, but I'm expecting it will be mediocre enough that when it's combined with his ability to mash the ball we'll be very happy.

I agree that it's awesome to have all of Ackley, Smoak, and Montero on the team with others like Carp, Seager and Liddi as very nice additions. We also have a crop of young outfielders too numerous to mention, and we might also find a gem or two in that group. That is one awesome core of young position players.

I also know that no deal between the Yankees and Mariners isn't done until it's done. Would Cashman really use this potential trade as a way to get back at Zduriencik for bailing on the Cliff Lee deal last year? He could still pull the rug out from this one just for spite. After all, didn't the Yankees say they would never deal with the Mariners again just six months ago?

I doubt it, the Yankees desperately need Pineda in 2012, and love the idea they will have him for many years to come. Their bright, young pitching stars they thought they had for their rotation last season turned out to be quite mediocre, and Pineda turned out to be quite awesome in his first season. Sometimes reality sucks enough that pride is no longer a factor.

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

Logan Kensing, Rainiers bullpen.

Jesus Montero, trimmed down and ready to go.

Sorry, Ji-Man, but really? Maybe when you get off the restricted list, Montero will have been promoted. 

Carson is doing a fine job, but Logan has been dominant and deserves recognition.

Mariner Analyst

Mariner Analyst
  • Contributors
  • 414 posts
I was perusing one of the Yankees fan forums out there and found a couple of fans' comments amusing ...

This was this Yankee's fan initial reaction when he heard about the trade ...

I just threw up in my mouth - disgusted.

And another today when asked in a poll thread whether he liked the deal or not ...

Brain was a definite yes, with heart being a bit more reserved.

lisa mariner

lisa mariner

Compass Rosy

• Members
  • 2,701 posts
Suffice it to say, this fellow is none too pleased with the deal....

pineda for montero is a joke.

there is something wrong with a twenty two year old who can only throw two pitches when he has 97mph velocity.

a good pitching coach should be able to teach him a new pitch in 6 weeks or so.

the fact it hasnít happened says this kid isnít a quick learner.
havenít the yankees learned anything with butting heads with aj burnett types.

pineda is going to end up in the bullpen in a few years.

montero was traded for a future reliever.

cashman canít help himself.

he has to do impose his will and ego on things whether it makes any sense or not.

montero is going to make cashman look stupid.

tradedollarnut

tradedollarnut
  • Members
  • 1,469 posts
I fail to see how Pineda once every fifth day can be anywhere near as valuable as Montero every day

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts
Well, the argument would be that even though a pitcher pitches every fifth day, he has five times the effect on the game he pitches as the everyday player. I'm not necessarily MAKING that argument, but you can see the logic behind it.

Me, I think both teams traded from depth to fill a need, the M's from pitching to gain a nearly sure-thing MOTO bat, the Yankees from catching depth to gain a potential ace starter who just finished a pretty doggone good All-Star rookie campaign.
---------------------

There's an old saying, "The Proof Is In The Pudding."

Mariners 2012: It's Puddin' Time
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Posted Image

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts
As an aside, I have to laugh at Smoak's picture in my new signature. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry's new girlfriend looks terrible in shadows but great in full light.
---------------------

There's an old saying, "The Proof Is In The Pudding."

Mariners 2012: It's Puddin' Time
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Posted Image

Mariner Analyst

Mariner Analyst
  • Contributors
  • 414 posts
Here's a great quote ...

KJR 950's Dave Softy Mahler interviewed Jim Callis of Baseball America yesterday afternoon. In that interview, Callis related a great story. He said that on the day that Albert Pujols signed his deal, Brian Cashman joked, saying the following ...

Cashman: "Yeah, we hear that Pujols guyís pretty good. You know, heís a lot like Jesus Montero."

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,518 posts

POPULAR

An interviewer asked Montero what 2012 had in store for him. Jesus answered:

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."

Hold it... That might have been the wrong Jesus.

My bad.

:peace:

Adopt-a-Players:
*new* Alex Jackson - Welcome aboard, AJaxx!

2014 Hitting .289/.333/.500/.833 in Peoria.

Forrest Snow - Working as a swingman and spot-starter for Tacoma.
2014 AAA/AA: 2-3, 2.35 ERA, 46 K, 12 BB, 1.065 WHIP - more to come!
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP

2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - Hitting .336/.423/.645/1.068 in Korea (304 plate appearances).
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Assistant coach for a high school.
Mike Morse - Hitting .273/.325/.472/.796 for the Giants. (sure would look good as our DH about now)
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 06/27/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users