Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

pineda traded

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,270 posts

You don't trade proven young stud pitchers who are cheap for potential.

One season doesn't mean a pitcher is proven. They get injured left & right and fall of quickly.

Would you of rather he traded for an old aging vet?

Pineda first half and Pineda 2nd half are two different pitchers mind you. He started great and finished bad. He's far from a finished product. He still needs to show how he was in the first half of the year. He also only pitched 170 innings last year. When his innings goes up what's going to happen? What about when he hit's 200 innings ?

Pineda had a great first half but his second half leaves much to be desired.

Grumpy

Grumpy
  • Grand Slam Boosters
  • 354 posts

You must be in love with over-rated yankee prospects then. Safeco is going to kill this kids power numbers. Like I said previously, if the M's don't get Fielder then the M's got fleeced.

No way we're in on Fielder now. Where would he play?

Montero: DH
Fielder: DH
Carp: 1B/DH
Smoak: 1B DH

Jaso: C
Olivo: C

Sure, Carp can play a little LF, but that's not his strong suite.

Shaggy

Shaggy
  • Members
  • 890 posts

For what it's worth....

Jesus Montero is not a product of the Yankees hype machine. He has been universally viewed as the one of the top hitting prospects in baseball for the last 3 years. This is not from the Yankees, this is from Baseball America, Scout.com, etc. Folks can believe what they want, but to deny that Jesus Montero is, and has been, the best pure POWER/AVERAGE hitting prospect in all of baseball is to deny their very own humanity.

Guys, the M's just scored HUGE! With this move the M's didn't just get better, they got a LOT better.

Agreed Lonnie, wholeheartedly.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,270 posts

For what it's worth....

Jesus Montero is not a product of the Yankees hype machine. He has been universally viewed as the one of the top hitting prospects in baseball for the last 3 years. This is not from the Yankees, this is from Baseball America, Scout.com, etc. Folks can believe what they want, but to deny that Jesus Montero is, and has been, the best pure POWER/AVERAGE hitting prospect in all of baseball is to deny their very own humanity.

Guys, the M's just scored HUGE! With this move the M's didn't just get better, they got a LOT better.

Man Lonnie I'm been running circles around my house. I'm so excited for this move this move almost makes the offense for me. It will also lessen the hurt if we miss out on Fielder but if we do get him boy oh boy. Also watching this kid hit will be fun.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,831 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

Z just fell into the "yankee trap" of trading young talent for over-rated yankee prospects.

Montero is universally seen as the best young power/average hitting prospect in all of professional baseball.

Lonnie

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,270 posts

Montero: C
Fielder: 1B
Carp: LF
Smoak: DH

Jaso: Bench
Olivo: don't care

my take on where those guys can play.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,831 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?
I was right in the middle of working up a Podcast with Conor Glassey of Baseball America when the news broke, so I have a scouting report on Montero and Noesi to be posted up shortly.

Lonnie

Shaggy

Shaggy
  • Members
  • 890 posts

Montero: DH
Fielder: DH
Carp: 1B/DH
Smoak: 1B DH

Jaso: C
Olivo: C

If Fielder is signed, Carp and/or Smoak could suddenly become trade bait for a LF'er that can hit.

Shaggy

Shaggy
  • Members
  • 890 posts
Regardless, how can you go wrong with Jesus on your side?

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts
Ideally Montero becomes a great hit / nothing special catcher after a year mentoring with Olivo and Jaso. Olivo is gone after 2012 anyway unless resigned. If Montero can't cut it at catcher, then he IS your DH, period. If we sign Fielder and Montero settles in at DH, then Smoak becomes expendable via trade, unfortunately when at least for now his trade value is lessened considerably. It's also unfortunate because Smoak is both a left AND right-handed hitter.

If Smoak can fulfill his potential and Montero and Carp can too, the we have a pretty fantastic three-through-six even without Fielder.

3. Ackley, 2B
4. Smoak (1B) or Montero (DH)
5. Montero (DH) or Smoak (1B)
6. Carp (LF)

Then you can add in guys like Wells or a healthy Gutierrez in the seven slot.
---------------------

There's an old saying, "The Proof Is In The Pudding."

Mariners 2012: It's Puddin' Time
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Posted Image

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,270 posts

Ideally Montero becomes a great hit / nothing special catcher after a year mentoring with Olivo and Jaso. Olivo is gone after 2012 anyway unless resigned. If Montero can't cut it at catcher, then he IS your DH, period. If we sign Fielder and Montero settles in at DH, then Smoak becomes expendable via trade, unfortunately when at least for now his trade value is lessened considerably. It's also unfortunate because Smoak is both a left AND right-handed hitter.

If Smoak can fulfill his potential and Montero and Carp can too, the we have a pretty fantastic three-through-six even without Fielder.

3. Ackley, 2B
4. Smoak (1B) or Montero (DH)
5. Montero (DH) or Smoak (1B)
6. Carp (LF)

Then you can add in guys like Wells or a healthy Gutierrez in the seven slot.

Who's hitting 2nd for us ?

tradedollarnut

tradedollarnut
  • Members
  • 1,469 posts
I think I like it. Montero isn't a can't miss prospect, but honestly neither is Pineda. Once the league had a book on him, he struggled.

phredmojo

phredmojo

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
another bad trade by Z, i shouldn't be surprised
RIP Ichidman51............say hello to wildman and Ray_Oyler_fan...you will be missed my friend

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,831 posts

Who's hitting 2nd for us ?

A resurgent Chone Figgins will bat in the 2-hole to begin the season. By late July he will be batting .315 with 23 stolen bases and a nifty .389 OBP. His trade to XXXXXXXXX will be swift with the Mariners getting little in return other than financial relief. Munenori Kawasaki, taking over for the injured Brendan Ryan had been tearing up the PCL slips into the 2-hole seamlessly...

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,831 posts

another bad trade by Z, i shouldn't be surprised

Posted Image

phredmojo

phredmojo

Curmudgeon

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
see your personal attacks haven't stopped
RIP Ichidman51............say hello to wildman and Ray_Oyler_fan...you will be missed my friend

Leo Gomez

Leo Gomez
  • Members
  • 1,690 posts
It's all been said, so I'll just add: Yay.

Go Cougs.

Run, Leo, Run.

@thesd

tradedollarnut

tradedollarnut
  • Members
  • 1,469 posts
There is no doubt in my mind that this means the M's are NOT signing Fielder.

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,798 posts
You can't have LH hitters 1-9. I've maintained for a long time that the M's can't win without a great RH hitter in the middle of the lineup. We haven't seen that since the peaks of misters Edgar and Boone. Montero has the kind of power that won't be neutralized by Safeco and IIRC, he's not a dead-pull hitter - those are the guys that Safeco really hurts. This ain't Beltre we are talking about here. Montero hits the ball 450+ feet and it won't matter what ballpark he's in - it'll go out. He does that.

I'm not sure if Montero will be a great hitter. Maybe he'll see MLB breaking stuff and pitch sequences and he'll crumble. Maybe Pineda will never develop a third pitch, start to lose his FB due to the volume of sliders he's thrown and become Ben Sheets. Only time will tell if there is a winner and a loser here. Seems like a lateral move to me - promising young pitching for promising young hitting. It makes some sense if you trust that Hultzen, Paxton and Walker are as good as we think.
You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

=============================

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,518 posts
Are you saying Jesus can't hit a curve ball?

Adopt-a-Players:
*new* Alex Jackson - Welcome aboard, AJaxx!

2014 Hitting .289/.333/.500/.833 in Peoria.

Forrest Snow - Working as a swingman and spot-starter for Tacoma.
2014 AAA/AA: 2-3, 2.35 ERA, 46 K, 12 BB, 1.065 WHIP - more to come!
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP

2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - Hitting .336/.423/.645/1.068 in Korea (304 plate appearances).
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Assistant coach for a high school.
Mike Morse - Hitting .273/.325/.472/.796 for the Giants. (sure would look good as our DH about now)
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 06/27/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users