Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

pineda traded

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

Toomany10pins

Toomany10pins
  • Members
  • 642 posts

Considering who we've had at catcher the last couple of years I don't mind. Compared to Rob Johnson Adam Moore Miguel Olivo and who else was back there. I hardly care.

GMZ has been looking for a RH power bat for a long time and it looks as though a young RH power hit may have just feel into his lap.

OMG I'm too excited for this I'm about to start doing cartwheels.

You must be in love with over-rated yankee prospects then. Safeco is going to kill this kids power numbers. Like I said previously, if the M's don't get Fielder then the M's got fleeced.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts
Montero's brief stint in the majors was pretty productive. I'm so excited right now.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts

You must be in love with over-rated yankee prospects then. Safeco is going to kill this kids power numbers. Like I said previously, if the M's don't get Fielder then the M's got fleeced.

You make it seem as though this kid has been playing in Yankee stadium his whole career and has inflated numbers from playing in that park. Look at Montero's number and then compare them to Smoak oh yeah Montero's also 3 year younger. This kid is legit.

Edited by AlMoStLeGeNdArY, 13 January 2012 - 05:44 PM.

TopCat

TopCat

The Immovable Object

• Members
  • 2,412 posts
  • Interests:Disorderliness, Unruliness, Hotheadedness, Intractableness, and just an all around swell guy to be with!

You make it seem as though this kid has been playing in Yankee stadium his whole career and has inflated numbers from playing in that park. Look at Montero's number and then compare them to Smoak oh yeah Montero's also 3 year younger. This kid is legit.

He's also right handed. BIG problem. HATE THIS DEAL.

Edited by TopCat, 13 January 2012 - 05:48 PM.

6e2ovq.jpg

Too soon?

topher65

topher65

Drinks beer... Lives in Hawaii... I hate him...

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Safeco field......where righthanded power hitters go to die......
I got a full slate of Hawaiian adopt-a-sons......and 2 happen to be catchers on the same team!!

Starting off with:

Charles Ka'alekahi - Currently a starting pitcher with the Clinton Lumber Kings.
3 wins and 1 loss on the season with a 4.85 ERA, 26 IP, 20 SO vs. 12BB

Next is the catching duo with the Everett Aquasox:

Christian (Keanu) Carmichael - Catcher
.302 AVG, .362 OBP, .434 SLG, .796 OPS, 4 doubles and 1 HR, 2 RBI

Carlton Tanabe - Catcher
Everett Stats: .261 AVG, .306 OBP, .348 SLG, .654 OPS, 2 doubles 1 HR, 5 RBI

TopCat

TopCat

The Immovable Object

• Members
  • 2,412 posts
  • Interests:Disorderliness, Unruliness, Hotheadedness, Intractableness, and just an all around swell guy to be with!

EXACTLY. God I want to strangle Z for this. Right after I punch out Howie and Chuckie.

6e2ovq.jpg

Too soon?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts

If we were to trade for a young Edgar and have him play in Safeco would you say oh he's a RH bat so I'll pass. While this kid isn't Edgar his bat is special. His bat is on another level than anything we currently have RH or not. Also because Montero is young and the way scouts are rating his power I'm so not worried. It's not like he's Miguel Olivo or anything. Besides Sexon proved it's possible to be a RH bat and hit out of the park. So I'm not going to turn down every RH bat. Special bats are special and Montero's is special.

I'll also like to point out that this kid was able to play his way into the Yankee's line up. It's not as though they're starved for bats and he was also on their post season roster. That a lone tells me what I need to know about this kid's bat. Everything is meaningless.

Edited by AlMoStLeGeNdArY, 13 January 2012 - 05:55 PM.

Toomany10pins

Toomany10pins
  • Members
  • 642 posts
Keep saying that. Russ Davis was supposed to be "legit" too? He was another "can't miss prospect". Bottomline is the yanks don't trade legit prospects most of the time, only their overhyped crap that they can get some dumb sucker to bite on. If you are content with the M's being the farm club of the mega market teams, then fine, I'm not.

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,873 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.
Other teams' RH hitters never seemed to had problems hitting dingers at SafeCo. I recall many HR's by Vlad Guerrero, Jason Bay, Manny Ramírez, etc. All of them RH hitters who never seemed to have a problem hitting them out'a Safeco Field.

Let's hope Montero is one of those guys...

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts

Keep saying that. Russ Davis was supposed to be "legit" too? He was another "can't miss prospect". Bottomline is the yanks don't trade legit prospects most of the time, only their overhyped crap that they can get some dumb sucker to bite on. If you are content with the M's being the farm club of the mega market teams, then fine, I'm not.

Look at Russ Davis's numbers then look at Montero's. There's a huge difference.

So are you suggesting that the Yankees would put an overhype prospect on their psot season roster just to raise his stock?

Edited by AlMoStLeGeNdArY, 13 January 2012 - 06:00 PM.

TopCat

TopCat

The Immovable Object

• Members
  • 2,412 posts

I'll also like to point out that this kid was able to play his way into the Yankee's line up.

Really? You're going with that? Posada was beyond done.

What has he proven at the ML level?

What has Pineda proven?

6e2ovq.jpg

Too soon?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts

Really? You're going with that? Posada was beyond done.

What has he proven at the ML level?

What has Pineda proven?

He's only had 16 games and 61 AB where he hit .328/.405/.590/.996 4 HR's 4 doubles 12 RBI's 17 SO's 7 BB

the sample size is small. However, I like what I see. He was also on their post season roster too.

Pineda was an All-Star his rookie season.

Like I said though we need offense right now and Z wanted a RH power bat for a long time now. This move cut deeps but Montero will hopefully live up to his potential.

Edited by AlMoStLeGeNdArY, 13 January 2012 - 06:07 PM.

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,873 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.
OK, let's see how do the best RH hitters of this time have fared at SafeCo Field:

Vlad Guerrero:
248 Plate App.
15 2B
13 HR
.338 / .395 / .581 / .976 mmmm not bad, sample size isn't neglectable either.

Manny Ramírez:
194 Plate App.
11 2B
14 HR
.323 / .412 / .652 / 1.065 wow!!!

So these guys didn't have any problem whatsoever hitting HR at SafeCo!

I'm not saying Montero is Vlad or Manny in their primes, what I'm saying is that a legit RH hitter can do well at SafeCo without using it as an excuse for underperformance!

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts
Oh and here's a lesser hitter by the name of Richie Sexon that didn't do too shabby at Safeco. Here's his 2005 numbers

.254/.365/.541/.906 with 21 HR's.

Safeco may be the death of RH hitters but if you got power you can still hit them out in safeco and Montero has power and is young.

Edited by AlMoStLeGeNdArY, 13 January 2012 - 06:22 PM.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

AlMoStLeGeNdArY
  • Members
  • 2,263 posts
I told one of my friends about the M's trading for Montero...he asked me who you give up Felix ? Na just Pineda ^_^. Ah man I'm loving this trade more and more.

TopCat

TopCat

The Immovable Object

• Members
  • 2,412 posts

Z just fell into the "yankee trap" of trading young talent for over-rated yankee prospects. I hate this deal, unless it includes the signing of Prince Fielder. More than ever if the M's don't get Fielder its a mega epic fail for the front office. They spent the last 10 years painting themselves into this corner with no escape route other than landing the top tier free agents. I'm so disgusted with this front office and ownership group right now. See all of those empty seats in 2012 and beyond Chuck and Howie? YOU EARNED THEM! If any of us failed as miserably at their job as Chowie has, we would have been fired yhears ago. Welcome to 5th place in your division for the next 10 years Chowie, you should be so proud!

Agreed. Pisses me off beyond belief.

6e2ovq.jpg

Too soon?

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts
Wow, I go to prepare a little stir fry for when my wife gets home and POW!, things happen.

This is a risky move. Pineda has demonstrated TOR talent for an entire season. Montero got all of 69 plate appearances last year. Jack must be awfully certain that he will be a highly productive fixture in the lineup for years. Of course, Montero doesn't carry the injury risk that Pineda does, being a pitcher.

Jack must also think that fears about Montero's lack of catching skills will make him decidedly subpar so that his sticking at the position would be questionable. Otherwise this makes no sense.

He also must think Safeco will not be a killer for Montero.

If he's right about all three, I like the move. If he's wrong about any of them, it could be a loser.

In addition, this could be a prelude to a Fielder signing, an act to convince Fielder he won't be stuck alone in the middle of the lineup, or it could be a signal that Jack decided Boras was being to coy and just moved on to something he had more control over, (edited to add third option) or it could be Jack is also sending Boras a message to get serious or he's prepared to move on if necessary.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Spring training just got a little more exciting, though. You can bet we'll be watchin Iwakuma, Paxson and Hultzen real closely to see if one of them can fill the Pineda void. It turns out those who speculated that signing of several veteran pitchers was in preparation for the trade of a young pitcher for some offense.

I'll tell you one thing though, I'm really glad Jack didn't bring in a 30-something vet.

Edited by DaddyO, 13 January 2012 - 06:47 PM.

---------------------

There's an old saying, "The Proof Is In The Pudding."

Mariners 2012: It's Puddin' Time
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Posted Image

TopCat

TopCat

The Immovable Object

• Members
  • 2,412 posts

He's only had 16 games and 61 AB where he hit .328/.405/.590/.996 4 HR's 4 doubles 12 RBI's 17 SO's 7 BB

the sample size is small. However, I like what I see. He was also on their post season roster too.

Pineda was an All-Star his rookie season.

Like I said though we need offense right now and Z wanted a RH power bat for a long time now. This move cut deeps but Montero will hopefully live up to his potential.

You don't trade proven young stud pitchers who are cheap for potential.

6e2ovq.jpg

Too soon?

DaddyO

DaddyO
  • Boosters
  • 2,454 posts
With Olivo and Jaso here, the kid will have at least a year to show whether he has any future as a catcher.

If he doesn't, this acquisition makes Smoak superflous if Fielder is signed. You don't want to platoon Montero and Smoak at DH.
---------------------

There's an old saying, "The Proof Is In The Pudding."

Mariners 2012: It's Puddin' Time
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Posted Image

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,798 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?
For what it's worth....

Jesus Montero is not a product of the Yankees hype machine. He has been universally viewed as the one of the top hitting prospects in baseball for the last 3 years. This is not from the Yankees, this is from Baseball America, Scout.com, etc. Folks can believe what they want, but to deny that Jesus Montero is, and has been, the best pure POWER/AVERAGE hitting prospect in all of baseball is to deny their very own humanity.

Guys, the M's just scored HUGE! With this move the M's didn't just get better, they got a LOT better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users