Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Live Music Thread

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

TopCat

TopCat

The Immovable Object

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Interests:Disorderliness, Unruliness, Hotheadedness, Intractableness, and just an all around swell guy to be with!

Wow! Holy Crap, TC, I want to hear this woman sing live! Un-flippin'-believably powerful voice!

Lonnie

She's going to be a big star. Reminds me of Lydia Pense. Remember her? (In Cold Blood)

6e2ovq.jpg

Too soon?

muddyfrogwater

muddyfrogwater
  • Members
  • 1,405 posts
Last year about this time MC put a red alert out on some crazy nonsense guy. Anyhow I slipped Lonnie a little note and told him he was probably just having a little fun on the merry-go-round.

I'm not here to judge. I'm just pointing out all of the mistakes you're making.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,688 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

Last year about this time MC put a red alert out on some crazy nonsense guy. Anyhow I slipped Lonnie a little note and told him he was probably just having a little fun on the merry-go-round.

That's a good one! I'm a long time fan of Manfred Mann!

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,748 posts
Dave Grohl stops "Skin and Bones" mid-tune at a Foo Fighter's concert and kicks some dude out for fighting. Warning - he's pissed and his dialog is heavy on the *FBombs*. Still, pretty amazing. Funny that he was the young, skinny drummer for Nirvana and now he's the front man for one of the best hard rock acts out there.

"You don't come to my show and fight. You come to my show and f'ing dance, asshole".

You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

=============================

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,688 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

Dave Grohl stops "Skin and Bones" mid-tune at a Foo Fighter's concert and kicks some dude out for fighting. Warning - he's pissed and his dialog is heavy on the *FBombs*. Still, pretty amazing. Funny that he was the young, skinny drummer for Nirvana and now he's the front man for one of the best hard rock acts out there.

"You don't come to my show and fight. You come to my show and f'ing dance, asshole".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9GMOTaqtc

I've got a DVD from that tour and it is nothing but awesome! That particular part isn't in it though, and I'm glad. I am a HUGE Foo Fan, and I hate to say that I have yet to see them perform live...yet.

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,748 posts

I've got a DVD from that tour and it is nothing but awesome! That particular part isn't in it though, and I'm glad. I am a HUGE Foo Fan, and I hate to say that I have yet to see them perform live...yet.

I caught them a couple of months ago. They laid down some of the best post-grunge hard rock I've heard. Very impressive. Their two sets lasted almost three and a half hours - the crowd was completely wrung out by the time they walked off that stage. You get more than your money's worth at a Foo Fighter's show.
You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,688 posts
A couple of months ago I went to see the Gin Blossoms in a small venue (250 people, max) and they were great! Opening for them was a guy that I've heard about but wasn't familiar his music. I'm talking about Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. It was just Roger and one other guy playing when I saw them, but they left a Hell of an impression on me. Count me in as a Peacemaker now!

muddyfrogwater

muddyfrogwater
  • Members
  • 1,405 posts
Dave Matthews and Warren Haynes do Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer". Wow. Having a real rock guitarist transforms the DMB into something very different.

Yea right. He should have played Neil Young's Like a Hurricane.

Edited by muddyfrogwater, 26 August 2011 - 04:18 AM.

muddyfrogwater

muddyfrogwater
  • Members
  • 1,405 posts
Cortez the Killer?

Riders on the Storm Grizz. B)

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,688 posts
I don't know if it is because the Mariners season is over or the first snow of the year that fell yesterday, but I'm feeling a bit out of sorts today. In an effort to pick myself up I went over to youtube and did some searching around and found this gem. It's Reo Speedwagon and Styx both together on stage performing REO's hit "Roll with the changes". I listened to it three times and I have to say that I do feel better now.

Lonnie

PS: Crank up the volume for this one!!!

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,688 posts
A week or so ago I was surfing around on the net and ran smack into this fantastic website. The site is www.livefromdarylshouse.com, and the Daryl it is refering to is Daryl Hall of Hall and Oates. I can hear a few of you punk-assed kids snickering out there, but wait until you listen to some of the music that can be found at the site!

For years Daryl Hall has had friends over and together they would have jam sessions. Back in 2007 somebody had the bright idea of video taping the sessions and put them on the internet. It has blossomed from there and now they kick out a new show every month. The people that they bring in are incredible; Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20, John Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls, Smokey Robinson (extremely great show!), Booker T. Jones, and others.

Interestingly, there is a segment of artists out there who do predominantly late 60's and early 70's Motown Sound. You've got to checkout the shows with Mayer Hawthorne, Fitz and the Tantrums, and a few others.

The whole thing is VERY well done and you'll feel like you are part of the show.

Here's Daryl Hall and John Rzeznik doing "Still Your Song" off of the Goo Goo Dolls Something For The Rest Of Us album, and Grace Potter of Grace Potter and the Nocturnals doing "Paris" (A damn good hard jam!)

Lonnie

/> />http://bubbleup.vo.llnwd.net/o2/livefromdarylshouse/Episode42/LFDH42-A2-Still_Your_Song_V3.mov","autoPlay":false},"plugins":{"gigya":{"url":"http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/flowplayer.gigya.swf","sharedWidth":"676","sharedHeight":"380","baseURL":"http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com","cid":"lfdhplayer"}},"key":"#@da652d5885a389365a3"}&gig_lt=1326479568238&gig_pt=1326479580004&gig_g=2' /> bgcolor="#000000" flashvars='config={"clip":{"url":"http://bubbleup.vo.llnwd.net/o2/livefromdarylshouse/Episode42/LFDH42-A2-Still_Your_Song_V3.mov","autoPlay":false},"plugins":{"gigya":{"url":"http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/flowplayer.gigya.swf","sharedWidth":"676","sharedHeight":"380","baseURL":"http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com","cid":"lfdhplayer"}},"key":"#@da652d5885a389365a3"}&gig_lt=1326479568238&gig_pt=1326479580004&gig_g=2'/>

/> />http://bubbleup.vo.llnwd.net/o2/livefromdarylshouse/episode45/LFDH45-F2_Paris_v6.mov","autoPlay":false},"plugins":{"gigya":{"url":"http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/flowplayer.gigya.swf","sharedWidth":"676","sharedHeight":"380","baseURL":"http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com","cid":"lfdhplayer"}},"key":"#@da652d5885a389365a3"}&gig_lt=1326480206200&gig_pt=1326480212058&gig_g=2' /> bgcolor="#000000" flashvars='config={"clip":{"url":"http://bubbleup.vo.llnwd.net/o2/livefromdarylshouse/episode45/LFDH45-F2_Paris_v6.mov","autoPlay":false},"plugins":{"gigya":{"url":"http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/flowplayer.gigya.swf","sharedWidth":"676","sharedHeight":"380","baseURL":"http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com","cid":"lfdhplayer"}},"key":"#@da652d5885a389365a3"}&gig_lt=1326480206200&gig_pt=1326480212058&gig_g=2'/>

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,748 posts
The Heavy almost tear down the Ed Sullivan theatre with "How You Like Me Now". This is the first time Dave Letterman has ever asked a performer for an encore. He's just giddy after the performance. When they really kick it in after the first chorus....wow. Kind of a 70's soul/funk meets hard rock sound. Unless they go to 11, your speakers aren't loud enough for this one.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,688 posts
I just ran across this version of Cortez the Killer by a jam band. Grace Potter is on vocals and keyboards, Joe Satriani is on lead guitar, and Willy Waldman on trumpet.

For those of you who want to know more about Grace Potter and her style of music, check out this video!

TURN THE VOLUME UP TO 11!!!!!

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,748 posts
The great Ryan Adams, back when he was still healthy and rocking, playing "What Sin Replaces Love" on the Henry Rollins show. I like Ryan's kinder, gentler stuff that he's featuring now but boy, do I miss the razor-edged rock & roll that he used to lay out there. And I want a Batman shirt just like that one.

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,748 posts
...and the other, softer side of Ryan Adams as he does his "Oh my Sweet Carolina" solo, accoustic on Letterman. Quite the range, eh?

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,688 posts
I struck gold! David Gilmoure in a live and unplugged session doing "Wish You Were Here" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"!

===========================================

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,688 posts
Just too damn cool! Slash with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators performing "This Is Not For Me".

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,748 posts
Great finds, Lonnie.

This one isn't live per se but still amazing. I'm usually not a fan of things like this but this just kicks ass. Sign these dudes up to do the Anthem for the Super Bowl!

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,688 posts

Great finds, Lonnie.

This one isn't live per se but still amazing. I'm usually not a fan of things like this but this just kicks ass. Sign these dudes up to do the Anthem for the Super Bowl!

That is one of the most unique renditions of the anthem that I have ever heard!. I ran across that vid a while back myself and actually bought their debut cd. Love this though!

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,688 posts
I really shouldn't listen to music like this. In all honesty, it makes me tear up more than a little bit.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Simple Man"

There's only one other Skynyrd song that breaks me up more and it's..... awe shit, there it is.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Tuesday's Gone"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users