Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Live Music Thread

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,994 posts
Let's play.

Use this thread to post great live clips of musical performances you come across.

I'll start with Ashley Cleveland and her band tearing the Stones "Gimme Shelter" limb from limb.

You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

=============================

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,994 posts
And I'll follow with Sharon Little with a great performance of her song "Follow That Sound", curiously enough on some generic morning show.

You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,123 posts
  • Interests:Guns and Alcohol... Just not at the same time!
Normally, embedding of vids is reserved for admins and mods, but I guess that little aspect didn't make it to the new site.

Ok, I will allow this to continue since I believe that most of us are grownups and can self police ourselves. Besides, I am a lover of live music...

Lonnie

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,994 posts

Normally, embedding of vids is reserved for admins and mods, but I guess that little aspect didn't make it to the new site.

Ok, I will allow this to continue since I believe that most of us are grownups and can self police ourselves. Besides, I am a lover of live music...

Lonnie

LOL - you can't provide an "Insert Media" botton and not expect a guy like me to take advantage. :hypocrite:

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,123 posts

Let's play.

Use this thread to post great live clips of musical performances you come across.

I'll start with Ashley Cleveland and her band tearing the Stones "Gimme Shelter" limb from limb.

I had not heard of Ashley Cleveland before, and when she first started singing my first thought was "Holy Crap! It's a young Kim Carnes"!

Good find!

Lonnie

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,994 posts

I had not heard of Ashley Cleveland before, and when she first started singing my first thought was "Holy Crap! It's a young Kim Carnes"!

Good find!

Lonnie

Yeah - she is great. Too Christian to be successful in rock & roll circles and too rock & roll to be successful in Christian music circles. But damn can she belt one out.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,123 posts
Ok, I'll play.

This is two friends of mine doing a a Jackopierce number called "The Vinyard". The audio quality isn't the greatest, I was using just the onboard mic.

Lonnie

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,123 posts
Two more friends of mine, John Harper Wise and Susan Rissman doing an old Harry Bellafonte tune. These two really have some great chemistry!

Lonnie

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,994 posts
I have no cool musician friends.

The Alman Brothers will have to do, with the best live version of Jessica I've heard. This whole concert is amazing, really. Dickie Betts at the peak of his power.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,123 posts

I have no cool musician friends.

The Alman Brothers will have to do, with the best live version of Jessica I've heard. This whole concert is amazing, really. Dickie Betts at the peak of his power.

Gawd, that was fantastic!

Ok, I've got to kind of step into the way back machine here and pull up a song I love done by a band you would never consider doing this kind of music.

Train performing Aerosmith's "Dream On"

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,994 posts
Dave Matthews and Warren Haynes do Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer". Wow. Having a real rock guitarist transforms the DMB into something very different.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,123 posts

Dave Matthews and Warren Haynes do Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer". Wow. Having a real rock guitarist transforms the DMB into something very different.

If by different you mean "better", I'm right with ya! A guy I knew had a man-crush on DM and I got sick and tired of hearing their music and hearing him talk about how great they are.

That was absolutely inspiring!

Lonnie

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,994 posts
Joe Bonamassa's version of Sloe Gin. Dude has the purest electric guitar tone of anyone I've ever heard.

MtGrizzly

MtGrizzly
  • Members
  • 4,994 posts
Robert Randolph and the Family Band on Letterman. Ain't Nothin' Wrong With That.

Never seen anyone play the steel pedal guitar like Robert Randolph.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,123 posts
Speaking of unusual ways to play an instrument (or, an unusual instrument for a genre), you have to mix in some Bela Fleck!

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

muddyfrogwater

muddyfrogwater
  • Members
  • 1,407 posts
The cars Candy-0 1979 Burt Sugarman's Saturday Night Special. No lip sync here folks it's real live music. It was techno rock wrecking ball at its finest. Music moved from the 70's to the 80's. Yea, I know, it's new wave? But so what, at least it ain't Disco. Lets Go.

I'm not here to judge. I'm just pointing out all of the mistakes you're making.

muddyfrogwater

muddyfrogwater
  • Members
  • 1,407 posts
I'll bet a few of you have heard this one. Don't know what it is about this song, but it gives me a sort of spititual feeling. It's Billy Joel You may be right. Oh, and shades sure are coool.

Edited by muddyfrogwater, 04 May 2011 - 04:15 AM.

I'm not here to judge. I'm just pointing out all of the mistakes you're making.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,123 posts
Please. This thread is reserved for videos recorded LIVE only.

Lonnie

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

TopCat

TopCat

The Immovable Object

• Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Interests:Disorderliness, Unruliness, Hotheadedness, Intractableness, and just an all around swell guy to be with!
Tacoma's own Vicci Martinez on "The Voice" Vicci is on her way to becoming a big star. And for good reason. She's really a pistol. She's killing it on this show. Those of us lucky enough to have enjoyed her locally are happy for her, but sad too. Likely you won't be seeing her at small venues any more. She's a nice young woman. Every bit as sweet as she seems.And she was born to perform. I've had the please of meeting her.

I was at the Wild Buffalo in BHAM a few years ago. She finished her set, so I got up and went to the head. Came back and she was in my chair. She's a tiny thing. Maybe 4'10" in heels. As God is my witness she was sitting performing a tonsillectomy on her GF (who appears in the videos). It was rather hot actually. Her GF is sweet. As fate would have it, the guy next to her got up just as I came back. so I sat and eventually when she came up for air I chatted with her for a while. Cracked me up it did. I even told her I appreciated the extra " show". Told her I would be happy to have a "backstage" pass for the encore. She got a great laugh out of it.

Edited by TopCat, 11 May 2011 - 12:00 PM.

6e2ovq.jpg

Too soon?

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 12,123 posts
Wow! Holy Crap, TC, I want to hear this woman sing live! Un-flippin'-believably powerful voice!

Lonnie

My Adopt-A-Players:
Tyler Smith

Gianfranco Wawoe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users