Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Where Do They Play?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,818 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

I was doofing around with Google Earth yesterday and I got the bright idea of seeing what the stadiums our minor leaguers call home looks like from a satellite's perspective. Here's what I got:

---------------------------------------

Tacoma Rainiers - Cheney Stadium, Tacoma, WA

rainiers.jpg

Jackson Generals - The Ballpark at Jackson, Jackson, TN

generals.jpg

High Desert Mavericks - Mavericks Stadium, Adelanto, CA

mavericks.jpg

Clinton LumberKings - Ashford University Field, Clinton, IA

kibblekings.jpg

Everett AquaSox - Everett Memorial Stadium, Everett, WA

aquasox.jpg

Pulaski Mariners - Calfee Park, Pulaski, VA

pulaskers.jpg

Peoria Mariners - Peoria Sports Complex, Peoria, AZ

What you see here is the main park (with road circling around it), and 12 practice fields. The 6 lower left-hand fields belong to the Mariners, and the upper 6 belong to the Padres.

peoria.jpg

Gomez

Gomez
  • Members
  • 2,257 posts
This is a SWEET collection of screen caps, Lonnie!

Except for the decent depth to the foul poles, Cheney's depth reminds me of old Tiger Stadium. Cashman Field has a similar layout except for the shallow depth down the lines and giant outfield walls.

Wow look at how shallow the RF porch is in Pulaski. No wonder they have a lot of offense there. I don't think I previously managed to get a good satellite look at Calfee Park. I give even more credit to the pitchers who had decent seasons there, because man does it look like you can get screwed on any flyball to RF.

Everett's got some weird dimensions and a shallow RCF porch. It looks a lot more normal in person, but that's from the vantage point behind the plate. In some way, that they get a lot of offense there isn't too surprising.
The 2011 Seattle Mariners: At least they're not the 2010 Seattle Mariners!

Adopt-a-player:

Posted Image
Bobby "Spuds" LaFromboise (as dubbed by Lonnie).
2011 stats: 29.2 IP, 2 HR, 13 BB, 23 K, 3.84 FIP with AA Jackson. Named to the 2011 Southern League All Star team!

Adopted but grown and gone: Doogie FISTER, M.D., specializing in groundballs. NOW MLB CERTIFIED!!!

Net Runs scoring system shelved until further notice.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,818 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

This is a SWEET collection of screen caps, Lonnie!

Except for the decent depth to the foul poles, Cheney's depth reminds me of old Tiger Stadium. Cashman Field has a similar layout except for the shallow depth down the lines and giant outfield walls.

Wow look at how shallow the RF porch is in Pulaski. No wonder they have a lot of offense there. I don't think I previously managed to get a good satellite look at Calfee Park. I give even more credit to the pitchers who had decent seasons there, because man does it look like you can get screwed on any flyball to RF.

Everett's got some weird dimensions and a shallow RCF porch. It looks a lot more normal in person, but that's from the vantage point behind the plate. In some way, that they get a lot of offense there isn't too surprising.

The shot of Pringles Park is dreadful, it is actually a beautiful park in a wonderful location. The field at Maverick Stadium is every bit as ugly as the shot shows. I've seen several pictures of games there and the grass is always motled brown and green.

I've been to two of these parks (Pringles and Peoria) and I plan on getting to a couple more befor I die.

Lonnie

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Home Run Boosters
  • 6,802 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
I like that pic of Cheney Stadium. From the writer's discription of Brian LaHair's bomb there May 10th you get a good idea of it:

LaHair demolished a Jarrett Grube fastball, sending it high over the right field wall at about 375 feet. The ball’s comet-like path was interrupted by the chain-link fence around the Foss High School tennis courts some 75 feet beyond and 30 feet above the Cheney outfield.

It was easily one of the longest home runs hit out of the stadium in recent seasons, and the longest LaHair has hit there, he said.

may 10th farm report
LaHair’s titanic homer

In the Everett Memorial pic, you can see over the left field wall on the sidewalk, at the intersection, a little plaque marking Ken Griffey Jr.'s first professional home run, as the then Bellingham (baby m's) mariners visited the everett giants. it's in the shadow of the left field foul pole.

I look forward to the upcoming everett season. a drive up the I-5 to see the aqua sox. the prices are good. It's fun watching the young guy's play.

EDIT: add a note on the local of jr.'s bomb.

Edited by senior octobre, 15 May 2009 - 07:08 PM.

Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players:

DJ Petterson 22 years old, 31 2B, 28 HR, 104 RBI, 45 BB, 109 K, 7 SB, 1 CS, 80 R, 471 AB's in 2014
Victor Sanchez 19 years old, 7-6 3.99 era, 1 CG, 1 SO, 32 BB, 94 K's, 1.25 WHIP in 2014
Luis Liberato 18 year old in 2014 AZL: 14 SB, 3 CS (.214/.332/.306/.638)

Former adopt-a-players::

Mike Zunino - In the show
Tom "ClearHead" Wilhelmsen -  In the show
Greg Halman RIP

Out of Organization AAP:

Corey Petterson:  (Kyle's Brother)  49 2B, 19 HR, 93 RBI, (.346/.395/.593/.989) 460 AB's, 85 R's LA Dodgers farm hand

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,542 posts

The shot of Pringles Park is dreadful, it is actually a beautiful park in a wonderful location. The field at Maverick Stadium is every bit as ugly as the shot shows. I've seen several pictures of games there and the grass is always motled brown and green.

I've been to two of these parks (Pringles and Peoria) and I plan on getting to a couple more befor I die.

Lonnie

I'm assuming Cheney Stadium is on your list this year!

My 2014 AAP's:
James Jones, Rainiers outfielder extraordinaire.

Ji-Man Choi, Rainiers slugging first baseman.

Carson Smith, Rainiers bullpen.

Logan Kensing, Rainiers bullpen.

Jesus Montero, trimmed down and ready to go.

Sorry, Ji-Man, but really? Maybe when you get off the restricted list, Montero will have been promoted. 

Carson is doing a fine job, but Logan has been dominant and deserves recognition.

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,542 posts

I like that pic of Cheney Stadium. From the writer's discription of Brian LaHair's bomb there May 10th you get a good idea of it:

may 10th farm report
LaHair’s titanic homer

In the Everett Memorial pic, you can see over the left field wall on the sidewalk, at the intersection, a little plaque marking Ken Griffey Jr.'s first professional home run, as the then Bellingham (baby m's) mariners visited the everett giants. it's in the shadow of the left field foul pole.

I look forward to the upcoming everett season. a drive up the I-5 to see the aqua sox. the prices are good. It's fun watching the young guy's play.

EDIT: add a note on the local of jr.'s bomb.

Past the right field fence is a driveway to the parking lot, but beyond that is a steep hill that used to be known as "Cheepskates Hill." People used to sit up there and watch the game for free. Security has been increased at the high school, and the fence has been added. The fences are high, and it is impossible to hit it out to straight center field with the monster wall there.

The coolest part so far this year for me was watching Prentice hit out over the RF wall in his first AB, then hitting one over the LF wall in his second AB. The wind was blowing out to RF that day, but not LF. Both were powerful blasts.

My 2014 AAP's:

Sorry, Ji-Man, but really? Maybe when you get off the restricted list, Montero will have been promoted. 

Carson is doing a fine job, but Logan has been dominant and deserves recognition.

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Home Run Boosters
  • 6,802 posts
i'm not a southsound guy, but it seems that there is a slot that runs thru there on the path of highway 16, which cheney is close by. continuing on towards the bridge to the nw and se tacoma the other way. am i close on my guesstimate here ?

i'm also guessing that during the warm summer months it blows in from the nw and on cold and rainy conditions it comes from another. i should check the wappler doppler !

DJ Petterson 22 years old, 31 2B, 28 HR, 104 RBI, 45 BB, 109 K, 7 SB, 1 CS, 80 R, 471 AB's in 2014
Victor Sanchez 19 years old, 7-6 3.99 era, 1 CG, 1 SO, 32 BB, 94 K's, 1.25 WHIP in 2014

Greg Halman RIP

Out of Organization AAP:

Corey Petterson:  (Kyle's Brother)  49 2B, 19 HR, 93 RBI, (.346/.395/.593/.989) 460 AB's, 85 R's LA Dodgers farm hand

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,542 posts

i'm not a southsound guy, but it seems that there is a slot that runs thru there on the path of highway 16, which cheney is close by. continuing on towards the bridge to the nw and se tacoma the other way. am i close on my guesstimate here ?

i'm also guessing that during the warm summer months it blows in from the nw and on cold and rainy conditions it comes from another. i should check the wappler doppler !

Cheney Stadium borders SR 16, a limited access highway. I usually take the highway to the 19th St / Orchard St. exit. I turn right and take 19th St. east. Across from Fred Meyer's is an entrance to the ballpark. The road goes by the high school parking lot towards the LF foul pole. It then winds around the outside of the stadium, LF, CF, then RF and into the parking lot. There's also an entrance to another street that does not have highway access. I usually go out that way because that's the most direct route out of the stadium.

SR-16 begins at I-5 near the Tacoma Mall, then goes past Cheney on the way to the Tacoma Narrows bridge. There is currently construction on the west bound ramps entering SR-16 from I-5, and the ramp from I-5 northbound is almost always very congested. I-5 southbound is not so bad.

The winds generally come out of a westerly direction, but it could be anywhere from the southwest to the northwest. When it's coming directly from the west like it did that night it blows directly out to right field. If the wind is blowing directly from the south, it goes out to left field. From the north it blows in from left filed.

My 2014 AAP's:

Napi

Napi
  • Members
  • 30 posts
Pringles Park appears to have several pracitce fields right next door, that's not something you see at every ballpark.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,818 posts

Pringles Park appears to have several pracitce fields right next door, that's not something you see at every ballpark.

Those are actually softball and little league fields. It's a rather large complex built for the community and not just for the Diamond Jaxx. I was there last year and the whole complex is beautiful, much more so than the satellite shot shows.

Lonnie

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,456 posts
When are we going to see shots of the DSL and VSL parks? :tex:

Adopt-a-Players:
*new* Alex Jackson - Welcome aboard, AJaxx!

2014 Hitting .289/.333/.500/.833 in Peoria.

Forrest Snow - Working as a swingman and spot-starter for Tacoma.
2014 AAA/AA: 2-3, 2.35 ERA, 46 K, 12 BB, 1.065 WHIP - more to come!
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP

2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - Hitting .336/.423/.645/1.068 in Korea (304 plate appearances).
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Assistant coach for a high school.
Mike Morse - Hitting .273/.325/.472/.796 for the Giants. (sure would look good as our DH about now)
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 06/27/2014

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,818 posts

When are we going to see shots of the DSL and VSL parks? :tex:

The 32nd of Neverember I will be at both location...

Lonnie

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 8,937 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.
I seldom visit this part of the forum. Nice images Lonnie! :D

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,818 posts

I seldom visit this part of the forum. Nice images Lonnie! :sick:

Thanks Pirata, I just thought that this might be a cool idea when I did it.

Lonnie

Gomez

Gomez
  • Members
  • 2,257 posts
Have I got a treat for you folks: Here are photos of the home parks for the last two Mariners affiliates, in the VSL and DSL.

The VSL Mariners home complex in Aguirre, Venezuela:

Posted Image

The DSL Mariners home field in Yamasa, Dominican Republic. Note the awful condition of left field. Hopefully this was just a random flood and it's not always like that:

Posted Image
The 2011 Seattle Mariners: At least they're not the 2010 Seattle Mariners!

Adopt-a-player:

Posted Image
Bobby "Spuds" LaFromboise (as dubbed by Lonnie).
2011 stats: 29.2 IP, 2 HR, 13 BB, 23 K, 3.84 FIP with AA Jackson. Named to the 2011 Southern League All Star team!

Adopted but grown and gone: Doogie FISTER, M.D., specializing in groundballs. NOW MLB CERTIFIED!!!

Net Runs scoring system shelved until further notice.

shields

shields
  • Members
  • 1,446 posts
Posted Image

Hard to believe this is the same place shown above. Gorgeous!
Please check out my site, Pro Ball NW. If you're on Twitter, you can find me here.

Harrison_Crow

Harrison_Crow
  • Members
  • 181 posts
THIS, is an awesome thread! :) to all!

Edited by Harrison_Crow, 01 March 2010 - 04:17 AM.

Adopt-a-players:

Juan Diaz (YET ANOTHER switch hitting middle infielder) (traded)

Seon Gi Kim (Still waiting for him to come around... )

Brandon Haveman (Loveable depth) (released)

Tyler Blandford (What are the possibilities of a refund at this point?)

So... I got this site where I write at... SodoMojo. If you care to visit.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,818 posts

Posted Image

Hard to believe this is the same place shown above. Gorgeous!

The same thing with Pringles Park in Jackson, Tennessee. The satellite shot just doesn't do it justice!

Lonnie

Vidya

Vidya

Tacoma Aroma Homa

• Members
  • 11,542 posts
I'm going to try to use up my tickets before Mid-August and take a field trip east. We've having a family reunion in Michigan Labor Day weekend. I've got to put Tennessee and Virginia on the itinerary.

My 2014 AAP's:

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

• Home Run Boosters
  • 6,802 posts
Its been some time since I checked this out. It seems marvricks park has little foul ground.

Everett had that black stuff in 2013. Long dry spell. The infield dryed out. They watered heavy and this mold fungus black stuff appeared.

Greg Halman RIP

Out of Organization AAP:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users