Welcome to Mariner Central
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Soccer World Cup 2010

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 9,014 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.
Perhaps you guys are not aware of this, but today the Pre-World Cup hexagonal starts for CONCACAF.

Mexico plays USA at Columbus, and we don't have many hopes of winning.

Odd, but we used to beat you at soccer day in and day out, but not anymore.

Good luck, (we are going to need it).

Leo Gomez

Leo Gomez
  • Members
  • 1,673 posts
I'm more of a Deutschland fan myself. Though Mexico v. USA will be fun to watch (or did I miss it...)!

Go Cougs.

Run, Leo, Run.

@thesd

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 9,014 posts
  • Interests:Statistics, Theatre, Alan Parsons music, Astronomy, and of course, Mariners Baseball.
It's done, we lost again 2-0 again!

At this point in time I'm more confident in beating you guys in baseball than in soccer. :laughing: :laughing:

Edited by Pirata Morado, 11 February 2009 - 06:24 PM.

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,499 posts
I actually watched the last 30 minutes. That last goal to put the nail in the coffin was BEAUTIFUL!!

Adopt-a-Players:
*new* Alex Jackson - Welcome aboard, AJaxx!

2014 Hitting .289/.333/.500/.833 in Peoria.

Forrest Snow - Working as a swingman and spot-starter for Tacoma.
2014 AAA/AA: 2-3, 2.35 ERA, 46 K, 12 BB, 1.065 WHIP - more to come!
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP

2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - Hitting .336/.423/.645/1.068 in Korea (304 plate appearances).
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Assistant coach for a high school.
Mike Morse - Hitting .273/.325/.472/.796 for the Giants. (sure would look good as our DH about now)
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 06/27/2014

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 9,014 posts

I actually watched the last 30 minutes. That last goal to put the nail in the coffin was BEAUTIFUL!!

You mean, that last goal was the worst goalkeeping I've seen in many years!

Huindekmi

Huindekmi

Muppet Extraordinaire!

• Line Drive Boosters
  • 5,499 posts
Guess it all depends on which team you were rooting for. :laughing:

Adopt-a-Players:
*new* Alex Jackson - Welcome aboard, AJaxx!

2014 Hitting .289/.333/.500/.833 in Peoria.

Forrest Snow - Working as a swingman and spot-starter for Tacoma.
2014 AAA/AA: 2-3, 2.35 ERA, 46 K, 12 BB, 1.065 WHIP - more to come!
2013 AAA/AA: 5-5, 2.96 ERA, 84 K, 28 BB, 1.085 WHIP

2012 AAA/AA: 5-9, 6.35 ERA, 99K, 67 BB, 1.674 WHIP

Gone But Not Forgotten (former adopt-a-players):
Eric Thames - Hitting .336/.423/.645/1.068 in Korea (304 plate appearances).
Matt Mangini - Out of baseball. Assistant coach for a high school.
Mike Morse - Hitting .273/.325/.472/.796 for the Giants. (sure would look good as our DH about now)
Jamal Strong - Let go after 2005. Played in the Yankees, Cubs and Braves systems. Now a regional scout for the Cards.

Updated: 06/27/2014

Schuxu

Schuxu
  • Members
  • 2,227 posts
  • Interests:Baseball - Softball - Scoring

I'm more of a Deutschland fan myself.

Thats the way to go!
GMF @ the Spot
MC Adoptee Denny Almonte

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 9,014 posts
Round 2 went by with these results:

Mexico 2 - 0 Costa Rica
El Salvador 2 - 2 USA
Trinidad y Tobago 1 - 1 Honduras

So after 2 matches the standings are:

Country, Pts.
USA, 4
Mexico, 3
Costa Rica, 3
El Salvador, 2
T & T, 2
Honduras, 1

Remember the top 3 teams advance directly to the World Cup. 8 more games to go, starting with 1 today.

jj-malaysia

jj-malaysia
  • Members
  • 536 posts
I am a Brazil fan... and the Game Brazil played against Italy in the 1982 world cup in still unfortunately burned into my memory (1 was 9 at the time)

that was the best team of the modern era.... Zico, Falcao, Socrates, Eder
To Everything There is a Season, and a Time to Every Purpose Under Heaven

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 9,014 posts
Round 3 went by with these results:

Honduras 3 - 1 Mexico
USA 3 - 0 T&T
Costa Rica 1 - 0 El Salvador

thus the standings are:

USA 7 pts.
Costa Rica 6 pts.
Honduras 4 pts.
Mexico 3 pts.
El Salvador 2 pts.
T&T 2 pts.

We suck, and suck badly, thankfully the manager is out, but still our soccer is so flawed!

Señor Octobre

Señor Octobre

Everett Booster Extrodinaire!

• Home Run Boosters
  • 7,031 posts
  • Interests:el médico está en
my buddy told me that the winner of the world cup soccer always comes from the host region. myself, not knowing, I looked it up. what he says is generally the case, with the exception of a few events:

Wiki - world cup

with this event in africa, do you think a team from this area will win it ?
Mariner Central Adopt-A-Players: 

DJ Petterson
Victor Sanchez
Luis Liberato

Greg Halman RIP

http://compassrosy.com/<p> 

Sancho Panza

Sancho Panza
  • Members
  • 2,092 posts
Something tells me no, that in 2010 a South American country takes it all. I might though change my mind when Pirata shows up with some charts. <_<
There are some people so addicted to exaggeration that they can't tell the truth without lying. - Josh Billings

anunderwaterguy

anunderwaterguy
  • Members
  • 415 posts

my buddy told me that the winner of the world cup soccer always comes from the host region. myself, not knowing, I looked it up. what he says is generally the case, with the exception of a few events:

Wiki - world cup

with this event in africa, do you think a team from this area will win it ?

African teams are getting better, but one of them actually winning this World Cup is surely a step too far. Maybe you will get a situation like 2002 when South Korea made it to the semi-finals in Asia.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, the second phase of ticket sales started today on FIFA.com. It's very competitive usually, but worth trying nonetheless. You can buy tickets for all of your country's games (assuming they qualify for the tournament) so in the first phase I bought myself a no doubt completely useless ticket to "all of Scotland's games" even though we have a minute chance of qualifying - we have to finish above the Netherlands to get a place, or finish second and win a playoff against some powerhouse team like France or Portugal that we have no chance of beating. Anything is possible in theory though...

Edited by anunderwaterguy, 04 May 2009 - 05:13 AM.

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 9,014 posts

African teams are getting better, but one of them actually winning this World Cup is surely a step too far. Maybe you will get a situation like 2002 when South Korea made it to the semi-finals in Asia.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, the second phase of ticket sales started today on FIFA.com. It's very competitive usually, but worth trying nonetheless. You can buy tickets for all of your country's games (assuming they qualify for the tournament) so in the first phase I bought myself a no doubt completely useless ticket to "all of Scotland's games" even though we have a minute chance of qualifying - we have to finish above the Netherlands to get a place, or finish second and win a playoff against some powerhouse team like France or Portugal that we have no chance of beating. Anything is possible in theory though...

Don't lose faith! Mexico has it easier and we have less faith! Fortunately Javier Aguirre has taken over as head coach, so faith is growing lately here in Mexico.

I don't see an African country winning it all, but it would be nice for a change. I'm sick of Brazil or Italy or Germany always there in the semis!

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 9,014 posts

Something tells me no, that in 2010 a South American country takes it all. I might though change my mind when Pirata shows up with some charts. :D

;)

Soccer is less statistical, you can't do much with stats there. What do you want me to do with these?

Goals 0
Shots on goal 0
Yellow cards 1

It's hard to number crunch zeroes!

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 9,014 posts
How quick time passes by!

It's already payback time, as next Wednesday we'll see the re-match of Mexico - USA, but this time being played at Azteca Stadium, with 110,000 mexicans eager to shout many times: GGGGGOOOOOOLLLLLLL! Additionally we just beat you guys to conquer the Gold Cup just a few days ago, granted, with different players on both teams than those we'll be seeing next Wednesday.

To make matters tough for us, Rafael Márquez, the Barcelona defender won't be playing the match thanks to another injury (he seems the Bedard of soccer).

To make matters tough for you, the match will be played at more than 2,000 meters above sea level, at 3:00 PM, with expected 30 degrees Celsius temperature, and with a lot of pollution in Mexico City.

Good luck, ... we are going to need it (again). :D

Edited by Pirata Morado, 06 August 2009 - 01:54 PM.

Lonnie

Lonnie

Demi-God... In Training.

• Dionysus
  • 11,825 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Beer, Wine, Whiskey, and Wine.. Did I say Wine? Oh, baseball! Gotta have some baseball! And Football!!! Wow, where did I put my glass of wine?

How quick time passes by!

It's already payback time, as next Wednesday we'll see the re-match of Mexico - USA, but this time being played at Azteca Stadium, with 110,000 mexicans eager to shout many times: GGGGGOOOOOOLLLLLLL! Additionally we just beat you guys to conquer the Gold Cup just a few days ago, granted, with different players on both teams than those we'll be seeing next Wednesday.

To make matters tough for us, Rafael Márquez, the Barcelona defender won't be playing the match thanks to another injury (he seems the Bedard of soccer).

To make matters tough for you, the match will be played at more than 2,000 meters above sea level, at 3:00 PM, with expected 30 degrees Celsius temperature, and with a lot of pollution in Mexico City.

Good luck, ... we are going to need it (again). :thumbup:

I saw something strange a couple of days ago. I was driving by a large field and I saw a bunch of guys sprinting around it smoking cigars and following a '72 Ford Pinto belching blue smoke. I passed it off as just a bunch of weirdos until I saw your post just now. I believe that the people I saw were the prospective players for the match and they were "training" here at very nearly 2000 meters (Colorado Springs, 6400 feet).

It's a strange world we live in...

Lonnie

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 9,014 posts

I saw something strange a couple of days ago. I was driving by a large field and I saw a bunch of guys sprinting around it smoking cigars and following a '72 Ford Pinto belching blue smoke. I passed it off as just a bunch of weirdos until I saw your post just now. I believe that the people I saw were the prospective players for the match and they were "training" here at very nearly 2000 meters (Colorado Springs, 6400 feet).

It's a strange world we live in...

Lonnie

;)

:lol:

That's a good example of how fast time is passing by!

anunderwaterguy

anunderwaterguy
  • Members
  • 415 posts
Do Mexico still have a decent chance of qualifying if they lose tomorrow's game? I know you only need to finish third to make it and 4th gets a playoff, but I don't know how strong teams like Honduras and El Salvador are in reality (we never get to see these teams play in Europe).

We have our own big game against the mighty Norway which we have to win, but it will probably finish 0-0.

Pirata Morado

Pirata Morado
  • Members
  • 9,014 posts

Do Mexico still have a decent chance of qualifying if they lose tomorrow's game? I know you only need to finish third to make it and 4th gets a playoff, but I don't know how strong teams like Honduras and El Salvador are in reality (we never get to see these teams play in Europe).

We have our own big game against the mighty Norway which we have to win, but it will probably finish 0-0.

The standings right now are like this:

Costa Rica 12 Pts.
USA 10 Pts.
Honduras 7 Pts.
México 6 Pts.
El Salvador 5 Pts.
Trinidad &T 2 Pts.

Today's matches are: Honduras hosting Costa Rica, México hosting USA and T&T hosting El Salvador.

So assuming we lose to the USA today, and Honduras beats the Ticos at home the Standings after today would be:

USA 13
CR 12
Honduras 10
México 6
ES 6
T&T 3

México would be still fourth but 4 points behind Honduras, with 4 more games to play. If this happens we would kiss goodbye the direct qualification (third place). Our best hope would be to finish 4th and look for the wild card againt the south american team.

-----

Now, keep in mind that things in Honduras aren't easy right now. Their president was forced to flee away by the militia, and he has tried to get back to no avail. So they have more important things to worry about right now than about the World Cup, eventhough their chances are high.

I think Honduras is going to tie today and México is going to win, so the standings are going to look more like this:

CR 13
USA 10
México 9
Honduras 8
ES 6
T&T 3

So, it's going to be very tight!

Honduras and El Salvador have one or 2 good players and that's it. It has never been a problem for us to beat those guys. The problem is that México hasn't planned well. After the last World Cup, Hugo Sánchez the great striker, was pressuring in order to be the coach. Finally he got it, and wasn't doing such a lousy job. But he took the Olympic team and couldn't qualify because he didn't work. He thought that the shirt was going to give us the qualification. So they sacked him. Then came Sven Goran Ericksson, who may be a good coach, but knows nothing about how to play Honduras and El Salvador, and those teams. You can't beat those teams like you usually do, you have to beat them playing tough. He got awful results and got sacked. Enter Javier Aguirre. He has lost some matches too. We have won the 2 games we've played at home, but lost the 3 we've played away. So we have 2 more games away and 3 more at home.

The point is that the pressure is at the top level. We need to win badly!

Edited by Pirata Morado, 12 August 2009 - 07:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users